10 – The Girl Who said thank you

The Girl Who...

 

“Why is she so stubborn?!” The shorter girl complaint, as she stomps into the tall girl’s study room, dragging the doe-eye girl along with her.

 

“… What?” The tall girl sighed, putting down the file and looking up at the shorter girl.

 

“I tried to dress her up more cutely but she refuses to move a single inch!”

 

“… Did you like, freaking drag her out of the house without my freaking permission?!” Sooyoung bangs the table as she stands up immediately, advancing towards the two girls and pulling the doe-eye girl away from the shorter girl, before grabbing the short girl’s face with one hand, applying much force. “She’s my personal helper, Tiffany Hwang. Don’t bring her along with you on your rides like she’s yours.”

 

“… W… Why are you so uptight about her?!” Tiffany breaks away from Sooyoung’s grip quickly and rubs her own cheeks, which are hurting right now.

 

“Because she is MY personal helper and yet you brought her out without MY permission. What if I need her help? Are you going to pay for the loss that I might made within that period of time when you are trying to play dress up with her?”

 

“FINE! I’M SORRY! But why is she so stubborn!? She keeps on emphasizing that she will not listen to anyone but you!”

 

Sooyoung is surprised to hear that. She never knows that the girl had that rule in mind. Listening to only her and no one else. She turns to look at the doe-eye girl whose expression remains the same, and smirks as she turns back to face Tiffany.

 

“Of course, Tiffany. I’m her master. If she doesn’t listen to me, whom should she listen to?” Sooyoung replied, pulling Yoona closer to her and patting the girl on the head. Somehow, the pat has a certain effect on the girl but none of the other two girls notice it.

 

“But she’s like, ONLY listening to you. It’s too much already.”

 

“She’s my personal helper after all. If she really feels that she’s not supposed to listen to anyone else but me, that’s her problem. I can’t control it. Right, Yoona?” Sooyoung turns to face the doe-eye girl with a smile, but the smile fades when she senses that something is weird. Her hand is still on the girl’s head, patting her gently. “Yoona?”

 

“What’s wrong with her…?” Tiffany tries to get close but Sooyoung pushes her out of the room, and closes the door, locking it. She went back to Yoona’s side and stared at her blankly, not knowing what’s wrong. She could sense that something is wrong but she couldn’t find what is it.

 

“Yoona? What’s wrong…?” Sooyoung asked, cupping Yoona’s face and turning the girl’s head from side to side. It’s still the same poker face, but it gives out a completely different and new feeling.

 

“What’s wrong, Yoona? Did those bad people bully you again…?” It’s her sister’s sweet voice. The doe-eye girl looks up at her sister’s face, tears falling down uncontrollably.

 

“Unnie… I don’t want to go to school anymore! Those people keep on hitting me like father did. I don’t like it, unnie!” The doe-eye girl cried, as she moves into her sister’s embrace.

 

“Hush, Yoona… I’m here with you. You have unnie with you, don’t you? The older girl pats the doe-eye girl gently on her head. The doe-eye girl loves it when her sister pats her. It feels so comforting. It’s sign of someone caring for her, not hurting her. At least among everyone, there’s one person caring for her. And only one person.

 

“What’s wrong, Yoona?” Sooyoung is getting worried about the girl. She hasn’t been replying for ten minutes, no matter how many times Sooyoung asked her and called her. Feeling annoyed suddenly, Sooyoung’s expression turns dark and she slaps the girl, causing the girl to fall. “YAH! ANSWER ME WHEN I’M TALKING TO YOU!”

 

The memories and feelings for her sister vanished instantly with that slap, and the doe-eye girl gets up slowly, standing up straight and bowing.

 

“I’m sorry, Master.” Yoona apologized instantly, her body still bent downwards at ninety degree and not getting up.

 

“… Are you okay?” Sooyoung sighed; pushing the girl’s shoulders up to get her stop the bow.

 

“Yes, Master.” Yoona replied, still with a straight face. And when Sooyoung is about to open the door, she spoke again suddenly, surprising the tall girl. “Thank you.”

 

Sooyoung stares at her blankly. This girl had never said thank you to her, even if she praised her greatly. And now, she’s saying thank you all of the sudden, without a reason. At least for Sooyoung, it is for no reason.

 

“You’re welcome.” Sooyoung turns away, and gets out of the room, leaving the doe-eye girl alone in the room.