Memories

Unbreak My Heart

 

It was a hot summer. Humid air entered the room through the open windows. Kris was pacing back and forth the wooden floor, their friends watching him while they sat comfortably on the soft sofa set, which can seat ten people. As soon as they heard that Sunny is about to bear another child, the remaining eight members of SNSD, along with their husbands and boyfriends, hurried to our place in Busan.

“Kris ge, just relax.” Tao told him. He was standing, while his pregnant wife was seated on the sofa. Yuri nodded her head along with her husband.

“I can’t! If there is still no news within ten minutes, I swear I am going to take that door down!” Kris roared, earning glares from most of the women.

“Yah! You are lucky Sunny is still strong to labour.” It was Hyoyeon who cracked the joke and everyone else laughed.

“Didn’t you know, women can die by labouring? Sometimes blood overflow and the women die by blood loss.” Tiffany added, which made Kris shot her a glare. Everyone laughed at Kris’s reaction.

“Yeobo, do not scare the duizhang.” Sehun hugged Tiffany who was still laughing.

“Kris, I wanted to be a godparent, okay?” Sooyoung asked, before taking a sip from her juice.

“Not fair! You are the twin’s godparent.” Yoona whined to Sooyoung.

“Well, my name was merged in theirs. So it is just right.”

“Sunyoung and Kyuyoung came from Sunny unnie’s name!” Yoona reasoned. But Sooyoung made face.

Kris could not take it any longer. He ran upstairs to where his wife is. His body is all ready to open the door with full force, only if his sons and daughters aren’t guarding the door.

“Appa!” His youngest son named Han ran to him. He bent down to catch the boy in the arms. His oldest son ran to him, too, followed by the twins.

“Appa, what are you doing here?” Sunyoung, the eldest of the four asked as Kris kissed her forehead.

“I’m here to see Umma.”

“Appa, you can’t! The baby hasn’t arrived yet!” Fan crossed his arms and stomped his foot. Kris smiled at the angry faces of his children.

“Really? Then I will wait.”

“No you can’t! We are already waiting!” Kyuyoung said.

“But your godparents are looking for you! They have presents for you downstairs.”

“Really?! Presents!!!” the four kids cheered and they hurried downstairs.

Kris watched his little kids ran. His eldest daughter holding the Han’s hand as they descended the stairs. He heard the kids screamed at the sight of their aunts and uncles just before he opened the door to their room.

Kris found his wife breathing heavily while blankets were draped over her lower region. Beads of sweat glistened on her forehead as the dim lights washed her face.

“Mr. Wu, you’re not allowed here!” A nurse told him before running to dabbing a damp cloth on Sunny’s forehead.

“Forgive me, but I cannot just stay still.” Kris said.

“Kris! you!” Sunny cursed when she heard her husband.

Kris held his wife’s hand before planting a kiss on her forehead. Her grip on his hands is getting tighter by the moment. Kris could feel every spasm in Sunny’s body. Sunny’s moans of pain became louder. Kris knew it was coming.

“It’s there! It’s there! Push, Sunny! Push!” the midwife exclaimed. Sunny’s grasp tensed.

“Just a little more, baby.” Kris anticipated. His mind was silently praying that everything goes alright to his wife and his baby.

As soon as the baby’s cries could be heard, Sunny’s body relaxed. “It’s a girl!” The woman exclaimed, giving the baby in white cloth to Sunny.

“Aww, my pretty baby.” Sunny breathed out. Kris shed tears of joy, while admiring the picture in front of him.

“What shall we call her?” Kris asked.

Sunny thought for a while… Making up names was the hardest to think of after giving birth. Sunny studied her baby’s face. Her features are just the same as her older siblings. “Mei Li.” Sunny said. Kris fully understood what it means. It is a Chinese word that means beautiful.

“I like it.” Kris kissed his wife on the forehead.

Sunny has grown attached to Chinese culture and language because of Kris. During her pregnancy days, she would be reading a Chinese book with a Chinese dictionary in hand. That was where she got the names of her two boys—Han and Kai—which means brave and victorious respectively.

Just then, her two flowers appeared by the door with the two boys. She named her twins Sunyoung—good-natured flower, and Kyuyoung—starflower. The children ran to them and climbed the bed.

“Umma, Appa… Kai and Han were fighting over who is cuter between them.” Kyuyoung snuggled close to her mother.

“Appa said that I am the youngest, so I am the cutest.” Kai said.

“Appa told me that I am the bravest, so I am the cuter than you!” Han said.

The two girls giggled at the fight going on between the two boys. “Umma, can we see our new brother?” Sunyoung asked which distracted the attention of the three others.

“Umma, it is a sister, right?” Kyuyoung asked her mother.

“Girls, why don’t you figure it out by yourself?” Sunny asked them. Then a nurse came by and gave her baby fresh and clean.

The four kids looked over the baby. They were so thrilled to see their new sibling.

“Umma, is it a boy or a girl?” the twins asked together.

“Her name is Mei Li. She is your sister.”

“I told you!” Kyuyoung smiled at her twin.

“Nah, it’s all right. As long as she is cute.” Sunyoung smiled at her twin.

“Umma, I don’t care if it is a boy or a girl. She is really cute!” Han applauded.

“Umma, it is okay if I am not the cutest. I will let her be the cutest.” Kai chuckled.

The family shared a laughter between themselves.

 

 

May 15 | 20 years later

Sunny stood at the balcony which is overlooking the sea. She just received a phone call from her youngest, Mei Li, breaking the news that she will graduate this month. Earlier that day, she just watched a DVD of Kristen and Kirsten’s concert in the US. Those twins had inherited her voice and singing skills. Han flew to Seoul that morning, for the filming of his new drama. Wu Han, who is lucky to get all of his father’s assets, became a world-wide known actor. After that, her youngest son, Kai sent her a picture of him and his girlfriend, Yoonhee while vacationing in Thailand. Kai inherited SM Entertainment—Sunny didn’t even know why. Nevertheless, Sunny had never been happy in her life. However, her sickness never left her.

Sunny lost her memories from time to time. Even up to this time. Her sickness would take her the years she had loved the most and leaver her wondering why and how she gets in their place. The first time it happened, she lost her memories with her children.

“Umma! Kyuyoung should play the guitar, right?” Sunyoung asked her mother who was with them in their room.

“Ani! I should play the piano. Right, umma?” Kyuyoung asked Sunny.

“I don’t know. Let’s hear how you play, then.” Sunny told her daughters. She sat on the bed as she started admired her twins. Kyuyoung was at the piano while Sunyoung was at the guitar. They started playing their self-composed song and sing along with it.

“That was really beautiful!” Sunny clapped her hands.

“Really Umma?!” Kyuyoung cheered which made Sunyoung snicker at her.

However, Sunny was suddenly at daze. The two daughters were still bickering at each other when Sunny stopped them.

“Excuse me, please do not fight.” Sunny looked at the two teenagers in front of her. She was shocked that the two girls had their family features. The difference is that they stood higher than Sunny.

“Umma, it is her fault!” Sunyoung said.

“Umma? Do I know you?” Sunny trembled.

“Yeobo, what is happening here?” Kris suddenly appeared at the door, who heard the twin’s loud bickering. Sunny looked at him and she ran to him.

“Kris, they called me Umma.” Sunny pouted at Kris, showing off her aegyo.

Kris looked at their daughters for explanation, but they were too stunned to utter a word. They are just twelve years old. The twins stayed silent. Kris looked at his wife, who seems to be oblivious. Then it dawned upon him.

“Sunny, I am going to tell you something, but please do not panic.” Kris told her with pained expression on his face. He put his arm around her shoulders as they exited the room.

 

 

It has been many years after it happened again. Mei Li was just fifteen years old. That time, her sickness took her back right after the accident. It was Kris’s most painful time. Luckily, they are in Seoul at that time, at Sooyoung’s place.

Sooyoung and Sunny were preparing dinner for SoShi reunion. They sent their husbands to buy the ingredients before the others come. Kris and Kyungsoo came, and placed the ingredients on the table. Sunny watched Sooyoung kiss the shorter one of the boys who just came in. She blushed. She never imagined Sooyoung having a boyfriend.

Sunny froze when she felt a hand on her waist. She turned around, to find out who it was, only to be greeted by a set of lips. She shuddered. She tried breaking free but the man secured his arms around her. She could not deny that the man kissed well, but she felt degraded.

A loud and hard slap reached Kris’s cheek as soon as he let go of her. Kris was confused. He found his wife pointing a knife at him. “I swear if you ever lay your hands on me, I will kill you!” She screamed. Sooyoung rushed over the angry bunny.

“Sunny, what’s wrong with you?” Sooyoung asked her.

Sunny dropped the knife and hugged Sooyoung tightly; tears are starting to form in her eyes. “Sooyoung, I’m afraid.” Sunny dug her head on Sooyoung’s chest. Sooyoung looked at Kris with fear in her eyes.

Kris was really heartbroken at that time. Kyungsoo told her to stay away from Sunny for the meantime, which he did. The girls had their own night together, while the boys had their own. The girls hung out in the living room, while the boys—Soshi’s husbands—stayed at the garden.

Kris watched her closely that night. It was too painful for him. Sooyoung assured him that the girls will explain it to her. The boys cheered him up.

“How many times did you break up before you get married? She had fallen for you twice, didn’t her? Of course she will still learn to love you!”

“Show her your pictures together!”

“Get the children to talk to her; I’m sure they can make her see.”

 

 

It took Kris months before Sunny love him again.

Since she acted and dressed like a bachelorette, many bachelors looked at her. She even forgot that she was a married woman that she almost got steady with one of Sooyoung’s friends. When Sunny finally allowed him to take her to Busan two weeks after Soshi’s reunion, they took the first flight and immediately showed the kids to her who missed her badly.

Sunny was absorbed by her children. She fell in love with them immediately. And they get along very well. Even though she can’t accept the fact yet, being with her children is like being their 10-year-long buddies, which is technically true for Mei Li. There is an invisible line that connects them. And she was happy.

Sunny soon started looking at Kris. She started studying his face; she started contemplating how they became together. For Sunny, Kris is very handsome—too handsome for her, in fact. But she was always thinking how she became his wife. She feels that Kris is worthy of someone else than her. One night, Sunny was about to enter Mei Li’s room but she figured out that Kris was inside, tucking her in.

“Mei Li, Appa doesn’t think that Umma can love me again.”

“Wae? Give her some time. She loved us; of course she’ll love you, too!”

“Honey, it is not that simple. I don’t know how Umma’s mind works anymore.”

“Appa, don’t give up. I’m sure that Umma is gradually feeling something for you. Maybe she’s not showing it, because she doesn’t know how it worked between the two of you before.”

“What do you think—will she accept the divorce or not?”

“Umma’s mind still works the same, Appa. I overheard Sunyoung unnie telling Umma about this boy.”

“What did she say?”

“Umma said that the guy is too old for her. She said the same thing to Sunyoung unnie, remember?”

Sunny went to their room, feeling a little heartbroken when she heard that Kris is planning on divorcing with her. He is so annoying! He says that I am his wife and now he’s planning on divorcing. Screw you, Wu Yifan!

“Where have you been?!” Sunny asked as Kris entered the room. Kris noticed that she was pissed and he found it cute.

“At Mei Li’s room. Wae?”

“You told me to sleep and you’re not sleeping!” Sunny stomped her feet and she climbed on the bed. She covered herself with the thick blanket over her head.

Kris turned off the lights. He sat at the couch prepared himself to sleep. He was about to sleep when he heard soft crying voice. He got up and realized that Sunny was crying.

“Hey…” Kris climbed on the bed beside Sunny, who hugged him. He was shocked at her sudden movement. Nevertheless, he was happy, because at that time, he knew that Sunny loves him. Sunny cried on Kris’s chest as she lightly punched his arm repeatedly.

“I love you Kris! I love you! And I hate you for planning on divorcing! Don’t you know that it is hard for me?! All the pictures that the kids showed me looks like me yet it doesn’t feel the same way! Same face, same eyes, same laughter, but different feeling! I don’t even know how those happened, or why is this happening!

“But. I love you. I love you Kris! And it pains me that I think I could never be the Sunny you once loved. It pains me that I am different now. It pains me that I am such a fool for love! You have no idea how I wished that I am not sick right now. Because I want you to love me the way you love the Sunny before me. I wanted to be her. I wanted to be the one in those pictures. I wanted to feel them! But I can’t. And you’re making me fall in love with you deeper!”

“Sunny, listen to me, okay? I love you. I love you even if you have different identities. But I want you to know that you haven’t changed. You haven’t changed at all. That is why I love you. But I was afraid that you are not feeling the same thing for me. I was afraid that you can’t fall in love with me over and over again. I love you Sunny, and it will never change. I will always love you, even if you forget me. I will always be in your heart. Even if your sickness takes you back thirty years ago, I will still love you, and I will still get your heart.”

Kris crashed his lips onto her, drowning her in his kisses. Sunny lets herself get drowned in his overflowing love. They are lost in each other’s love—just the same way they used to be. They felt needy of each other. He is thirsty for her kisses, and she was hungry for his caress.

 

 

 

“Kris.” Sunny found her husband next to her, his arm hugged her waist. He kissed her on the forehead. Together they looked at the ocean.

“Happy birthday, yeobo.” Kris whispered on her ear. “Saranghae.”

“Nado saranghae.” Sunny replied, turning around and rested her head on his chest.

 

 

They flew to Seoul that night for Mei Li’s graduation. At the airport, the press are there and didn’t fail to take some photos of the couple together. They are still unforgotten in the Hallyu world. After SNSD disbanded, Sunny studied fashion designing with Tiffany and Jessica. Taeyeon became a solo artist. Jessica, Sooyoung, Yuri, and Yoona became actresses. Tiffany went back to America, bringing Hyoyeon with her, who became a known dancer there. Seohyun became a diplomat just like her dream.

They went to a fancy restaurant for dinner. Sunny felt sad that her four other children will not be joining them for dinner. “Umma, happy birthday!” Mei Li hugged her mother. Then she took off her gold medal and gave it to her. Sunny read, Summa Laude. She always knew that someone would inherit her wits. She is proud. She had always been proud of her children.

“Umma, I miss my brothers and sisters.”

“I miss them, too, honey.”

“Do you want them to be here?”

“I will be the happiest on earth if that happens.”

“Yeobo, close your eyes. It’s time for my present.” Kris said. Sunny closed her eyes. She heard many footsteps and moving of tables and chairs. “Open your eyes now.”

Sunny opened her eyes and found all of her children smiling down to her. Tears of joy fell when her children kissed her one by one, and joined in the table.

“When did you arrive here? Why didn’t you tell me?” Sunny asked, and they all laughed together. She is happy.

Sunny ate happily with her family. She carefully studied each and everyone’s faces, afraid that her sickness would kick in again. She pities herself, for being strong and weak at the same time. Strong enough to survive, but weak to keep her memories alive. How she wished that she could never forget all the happy memories she have. How she hated herself for breaking so many hearts at the process. Life is unfair. But that’s what makes life alive.

She is truly glad that she has eight other sisters, who taught her about life, even if she is dying. She is jubilant that God gave her Kris, who taught her that first love never dies, even if you forget your memories. She is thankful for her lovely daughters and sons, to whom she can always give all her love and hopes, even if they are far away.

Sunny could never ask for more. She had the almost perfect life, if it wasn’t for the miracle and the sickness in its package. But then she realized, if it’s not for that miracle, she probably would never have that almost perfect life. Sunny was ready, even though that sickness would take her memories in months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, she knew that she have her family that will be there, to bring her back.

There was silence. Kris knew what was happening. And he was prepared for it. He will do anything—everything just to bring her memories back. Just like what he said when he proposed to her, he will be the memories to her. Even if she forgets everything, he will be there, always, to bring her memories back, to repeat what she missed, to re-enact what happened in the past. He will be ready to do that, only for her.

Sunny’s eyes changed to a confused one. She started trembling, until she saw Kris. He smiled at her; at least she could remember him. The kids left them, he explained everything to her. When she was ready, they came back and started introducing themselves. It was a long night of retelling their stories.

 

 

 

Mei Li was in the middle of a session with her patient when she heard the news. She ran immediately to the room. was wide agape. Tears fell to her eyes. It was the saddest yet most romantic she had ever seen in her life.

She could never forget how they looked—peaceful. They looked so peaceful together. Her mother’s condition became worse as she aged. Her sickness soon took all of her memories, all at once. But she was able to hold on, until his last breath. They died together and it was beautiful. It was a sign of God’s unending grace.

She had heard their love story countless of times. Their story was sad—miserable, filled with drama, heartbreaks, and tears up to the last chapter. But no matter how much their hearts get broken from time to time; they remain unbroken through each other. No matter how much the consequences and events get in between them, they would work their own ways unimaginable for each other—even death. And she was happy that she took part in their story—a story that she never even thought possible.

 

 

End.

121021 - 130515



 

Acknowledgements

 

I would like to thank everyone who subscribed, commented, silently read and upvoted on this fan fiction.
 

Starting this fanfic is really hard and it took me alot of courage to post this. I had double thoughts if I would write this fan fiction because at that time, I just got into EXO, and I automatically shipped Kris with Sunny without thinking twice. This fanfiction took almost 7 months of my life. The risks of writing this fanfic was high. I almost failed two subjects last semester! And I feel very ashamed. During the last chapters, many things happened in my life that challenged me more in this career. Even though it was hard, you guys are there who stayed no matter how long it took before I updated. You guys commented no matter how lame I think the chapters are. And those who upvoted, thank you very much!

5030 views, 77 subscribers, 199 comments, and 12 upvotes since last update.
I don't know what you saw in this fanfic, but you guys really rock! I love you guys!

 



Author's Note

I hope you liked the update!
Comments are always loved!

Upvotes are forever appreciated!

Happy Birthday Sunny!!!