In America

Unbreak My Heart

 

I went to the doctor. I don’t know why but I just did. I felt that something is wrong. The doctor checked my vital signs but nothing seem wrong. I was walking around the neighbourhood when someone I don’t know walked up to me. He is somewhat familiar, especially his eyes. Like they are somehow so close to me before.

“Sunny Lee?” he asked. I just nodded. “Honey, you should come back in Seoul.” He told me in Korean. I was surprised.

“Who are you?” I asked defensively.

“I am Tiffany’s daddy. They are looking for you.” He said.

“M-Mi-young? Oh.” I remembered. “A-Annyeong haseyo, sahm-chon! Mianhae… But I can’t come back.” I said. I remembered everything.

“Tiffany asked me to tell this to you. You should come back because they are the ones who are keeping you strong. They are your family. Moving away from them will just worsen your condition.” He said.

“Mr Hwang, I am very sorry to disappoint you. But I can’t go back anymore.”

“Honey, it is not me who’s going to be disappointed. It’s Tiffany. She talked to me through the phone. She really loves you. And I know that she’s not the only one.” He said.

“Mr Hwang. Please don’t talk to me anymore. And please don’t tell them you found me. I have an incurable disease. And I will die not long enough. It would be better for them to miss me right now than to miss me later with more grief.” I said.

I bowed before running away back to Eunkyu unnie’s house. Surprisingly, Fany's daddy didn't follow me. No one was around except for little Eunji. She hugged me and kissed me on the cheeks as soon as I got in.

“Where is your mommy?” I asked.

“Market.” She said. “Where did you go?”

“Somewhere. Your daddy?”

“Work. Imo, I want to play.”

“Do you want to play with me tomorrow?” I asked.

“I want to play at the park.”

“The park it is.”

It seems easier for me while I am away. I can’t feel if I am ought to remember something. Because I am far away from them. Occasionally, I would miss them. But I try not to think more of them. Because sometimes, I don’t know who are they anymore. All is well when I’m awake. But as soon as I closed my eyes for sleep, it was all nightmares. I kept seeing things that never seem to happen. Seeing people who never seem to be real.

 

Eunji was a sweet girl. She loves her parents so much. We met each other back in Seoul when she was younger. But we never got close to each other. She’s much grown up now. Next year she will start school. Eunkyu unnie didn’t want me to stay any longer because of my reason. But I begged her, so we kept this deal. I can stay no matter how long I wanted as long as I take care of Eunji while she’s not around.

“Catch this!” I said before throwing the ball. But I threw the ball a bit strong it flew over her. “I’m sorry!”

“I’ll get it!” she said. I watched that little kid run to get the little ball. But someone get it before her. It was a man. Very very tall, I think, he’s sitting on one leg meeting Eunji’s height. Eunji stayed a little longer there, the man was talking to her.

“Eunji!” I called her. My voice trembled. What if this man is a kidnapper? What if this man will take her away? And Eunkyu unnie will surely kill me. Eunkyu unnie will never forgive me.

Eunji then looked at me. With the ball in her hand, she ran again to me. I hugged her so tight.

“Unnie! That oppa is handsome!” she said. She pointed to the man. He was slowly walking to us. From afar, I can tell he’s handsome. His hair is blonde but he doesn’t look like an American. He looked more like Korean to me. He’s like a crossbreed of the two. But I shouldn’t trust him.

“Unnie! He said that his name is Keu-ris and he said he’s your boyfriend!” Eunji tugged onto my dress.

I was taken aback. How could he?! I almost had a heart attack when I thought he’s going to kidnap Eunji and now he’s saying that he’s my boyfriend! I dare say he’s handsome but I never even had a boyfriend in my entire life! I scanned my brain for Keuris. Kris… I heard that name before…

At first there is none. But suddenly, he was everywhere in my mind like kaleidoscope colours. Same eyes, same hair, same cheekbones, same lips, same body. Then I remembered. That is my boyfriend! That is my handsome boyfriend! That is my hot boyfriend!

“Ne, Eunji. That is unnie’s boyfriend.” I said.

“Eunji’s such a sweet girl.” He said when he’s finally standing in front of us.

“Ne.” was the only word that came out. I turned to my niece. “Eunji, why don’t you go play over there while unnie talks to her boyfriend?” I asked Eunji. She nodded happily.

“Let’s go home.” He said as he held me hand and pulled me for a hug. “Please, jagiya, let’s go home.”

Unsurprisingly, my tears are flowing. How could I forget him all these times? I was crying on his chest. I can’t explain this happiness I’m feeling right now. I was all complete again all too suddenly. As if he was gone for a very long time.

 

a/n: I was gone for a really long time :( mianhae~
i was thinking if I'll post this chapter or not, because I think that i didn't write it the same way it was on my mind...