Chapter 24

A Twist In My Story

DONGHO's POV
 


"Park Yoorin. She's a year younger than you, and the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Park which was one of our family's friends back then. I'm sure you can't remember her, but you used to play together when Dongho was still in your mom's tummy. So, your mom and their family had this promise of making the two family become one when the right time comes-" The old man got cut off by hyung. "Mom? This is something mom knew will happen? What do you mean?!" Uh. Oh. Something for sure isn't right. First- this meeting is an absolutely stupid thing. Second- his explanation is making us look stupid, and last- this old man is extremely making the whole thing more miserable because he is so stupid for nothing. I examined Soohyun hyung's face; he looked very confused and annoyed at the same time. Who wouldn't be? If he was not sitting next to me, I might give our own father a punch. Oh please. Please! Forgive me but he's really a good for nothing father. I stayed quiet for Soohyun hyung's sake and just listened to their conversation. "Yes. It was a promise, an agreement in not so dramatic way. So I personally went back here to ask you to come with me. Of course, both of you. Okay, are we settled now? I do hope you understand my point." He confidently ended up his explanation, and reached out for his cup of tea. "Are you making fun of us?" I said when my head reached out its final temper point. The old man put down his cup of tea and chuckled. "No, son. Everything I said are true and I know how hard to absorb these things for both of you, but I don't think you have any choice. It's either you come with me or you will really come with me. Got it?" he said then smirked.

HUH. Ha ha! He smirked after saying that? And wow! He called me son? I'm a son of nobody, and never will be a son of him again. Come with him or really come with him?! Uh. I stood up and was about to scream in anger for his arrogance but Hyung stopped me and calmly started talking, but I clearly saw him clenching his fist so hard under the table, "Why do we need to come with you? It's not like I really need to marry her just because you guys had an agreement before.. That's very unfair. And besides, we cannot really come with you. We have our own lives here. I hope you understand our point, too. Now please excuse us." Soohyun hyung stood up and mumbled for us to go. I grabbed my bag and when we were about to step outside the room, the old man told us to stop walking off and he started opening his mouth again. Gracious goodness, why not just let us go!

 

"Let me tell you something.. this is for your mom's sake. They were the ones who helped your mom's family. Do this for her, Soohyun." Surely. With that, we both turned our back to face him. "What? Why? Are these words something worth listening to? Why do you keep on mentioning mom! You didn't care when she died so don't put her name for the sake of this marriage proposal! I will marry no one!" Oh no. It was the first time I saw Soohyun hyung being that angry. He never shout on me or gets angry to anyone but that moment, when he shouted- he was too scary that I can't let my fingers to touch him. "You don't understand. This was an agreement that made to help your mom and her family. I'm not making up stories.. I know this is surprising, but you'll understand this when you come with me in the States. Please believe me, for once." Believe me before believing him, this was making me crazy! "I'll think about it, but for now- let us go.. Come on now, Dongho." Soohyun hyung muttered and we went downwards out of that gloomy atmosphere inside.

 

"Hyung.." I muttered calling out Soohyun from behind. "I don't know what exactly is happening but I'll try to find out.. you better go home first" he said to me then walked off. How annoying that old man could be! We are peacefully living here without him in our lives and there he go, causing trouble instead of giving us better lives. Huh.

I wasn't sure where my hyung decided to go and find out things in his own but I just let him and I went back home alone. It was still early from sunset when I was worn out arrived at home and was feeling very hungry. I looked for something worth eating and found the can of cookies. I grabbed one and tasted the raisins within every bite; that was where I remembered Hee Young! She was probably wondering where the heck I went! Tch. I don't want to get nagged for this! That girl dislikes broken promises! Oh, but I didn't promise anything, right? AhH! but that was same as that. Fine then. I rushed to change my clothes and headed straight to their home as I assumed she was already there. As soon as I arrived there, I immediately saw her little brother that was playing in their garden. "Yah! YAH!" I was shouting to call out for his attention. Darn. I can't remember the kid's name! I'm not sure if I was shouting too loud or fate became nice to me that Mrs. Jung popped out from 'I am not sure where' and approached me. "Dongho? Oh, it's really you!" she walked closer and opened the gate, "What brings you here?" I bowed and felt quite embarrassed. "Ah. This is quite sudden mam, but I am pleased to talk to Hee Young right now." I didn't stutter but I was feeling nervous of what she might think of my purpose could be. "Hee Young is not here yet. Oh, so your closing ceremony ended early.. I was calling her but she wasn't answering my calls. I wonder why she's still not here. Come inside the house first, I'll try to contact her again." Mrs. Jung smiled and asked me to come inside, but I refused and told her it was nothing important. I bowed once again and went somewhere to think.

 

Here, I found myself sitting in one of the swings at this playground Hee Young used to introduce to me. This is a place where I feel peace at all for a lame reason. There are little kids that are gleefully playing and some that are fighting over there little stupid own beliefs. I hope I can stay forever young. Erm. I'm still young, but being young as these kids will be no more possible. Kids at the age of four or five, or even those in six and seven.. they are always lucky because they quite understand what's happening to their surroundings yet they don't have to be stressed and be problematic as I am right now. What should I do now? I feel like my life will be screwed up again. In times like this, I would always miss my mom. She's the only one that can understand my heart and will do nothing but to take care of me, and my brother. Her hug can always calm my mind and heart. Why does she need to let us live like this? Leaving Soohyun hyung and I, alone.

 

I let out a sigh as I felt my phone beeping again.
"Hyung!"
"Dongho.. I think we really need to leave soon. I will explain everything later, for now I need to talk to him again.. Have you eaten?"
"I'm not at home.."
"Where are you? Don't stay very late outside.. Ah I need to go! I'll see you at home, bye!"
"Hyung!  Wha-"

And he hung up. AHHHHHH! This is making me go real insane. Aish!

 

So, now this is for real? I wanted to ask more, why? what? and how? I heaved a deep sigh. Excuse my I don't knows, but I really don't know what to do now.. Soohyun hyung's decisions are always fair, and he isn't like me that only knows how to save and gain benefits for my own, that's why I often depends on his plans in things like this. Damn. It. Really. Damn.


I was still sitting before and after the sun finally set. The wind was blowing my floating mind. There was no one around anymore, the kids that was playing and fighting around went home already and that was when I felt totally lonely. It was strange. I forgot how to be happy on my own. I liked being alone. LIKED. I didn't realize how I hate it now. Maybe it's because I used to get along with others, because I learned that it's better when you always have someone with you. Another deep sigh. I couldn't imagine we came this far.. Ah yes. We moved to a different place to find peace, but tragedy seems following us. I miss my mom. She's the only one that cares for my brother and I. Why did she leave us like this and what is frustrating is she knew this happen. I bet this marriage thing will happen either she's alive or not, because the old man said, this agreement was settled a long time ago. Frustrating. I failed to do a lot of things. One- I'm dumbfounded talking to myself. Two- I'm a no help in my brother. And three- I was planning to confess to the girl I like, but failed. Failed? Or maybe fate doesn't like the idea of doing it now? Now, I'm not sure with that. I'm a failure. I felt like very useless and coward. I stood up and picked stones that my hand touched. I threw them with all my might and screamed in exasperation. I couldn't take what's happening, that's the truth. Throws after throw and screams after scream, I heard my phone beeped. I ignored it, I wasn't in the mood of talking to anyone, but it beeped one more time and the second one was longer than the first. In annoyance, I reached for my phone inside my pocket and found Hee Young was the caller. My eyes widened and immediately answered it, "Hello?" she hesitantly said on the other line that made my whole body shivered with the sound of her voice. "Is this really Hee Young?" I stupidly asked! . She replied yes and nag.. nag.. nag.. nag.. She started throwing me questions! She asked why I went in their house and what the thing I wanted to say was and said he looked for me but I went somewhere. She was scolding me. I cut her words off and called out for her name. She waited for me to continue and after seconds of silence, I asked her if I am able to see her, but that was out of mind asked so I said that it was okay if not. Tch, shameful. She asked if there was something wrong and I said nothing. I hoped I can tell her that it wasn't.. because leaving the country is not worth a 'nothing' why I wasn't at ease anymore. As I said it was nothing, I sat back on the swing and she asked me where I was. I wanted to lie and answered I was in home, but before I could do so~ she stated more than asking, I wasn't at home. So I just answered the truth, ''I'm outside.'' Darn. Did she hear the sound of this creaky swing because with the sound of her voice, she knew where I was and without a doubt, she said to wait for her in twenty minutes. Holy creaking swing. I couldn't believe that she will go and see me when I gave up on asking her if we are able to see each other. I nervously waited for twenty minutes and was thinking if I should say that I'll go leave the country.

 

***

 

While deeply thinking about something else, the swing swung without notice and I heard Hee Young's voice, "What's wrong?" she said while swinging me lightly. That brought me into extreme shock. I didn't notice that she was already there. Such a stalker.. I chuckled and said she was fast to found where I was. She moved from behind to sat like a child in front of me, hugging her knees. All my worries flew off with the sight of her adorable face, although I said she looked pitiful. I decided not to think about my problem for that moment. Seeing her during those gloomy times is more than enough worrying. She asked what's wrong with me again. I said nothing then stood up, stretching my back and felt relieved that she was there. Uh Oh.. but it seemed like she didn't like what I said because she said something in a serious tone.

 

I was thrilled but tried to chill the conversation so I chuckled and jokingly asked her, "Huh, what do you know about me? Hah.. Who are you?".. but that just made the atmosphere worse. She stood up and started shouting,"Why are you always like this? Why do you keep on saying it's nothing when obviously there's something!?!”

I was looking at her, frightened. I guess she was offended with my words when in fact; I was just staying still being cool because I wanted her to forget asking me with what's wrong with me. Did I say something wrong? Yes. I think I did. She didn't stop shouting that made me very speechless. “Who am I?! Who AM I? I'm the person you can always make fun! Aren't I?  Do you think I came here if I am not concern about what's happening to you? What!? You'll get mad on me without explaining why? You'll suddenly hate me whenever you want! So that's why you are asking me what I know?!?  Do you know how much your words are pissing me off right now!!?! WhaaaAAAT! Say something!”

NO. No. No. She's not the type of person I can always make fun. She's the type of person that's making me realize how I can be happy without worrying too much, the person that never fails to make my heart flutter in happiness. Her words were like arrows that targeted me directly. They were ten times hurtful than I thought. I never thought I would actually hear her saying these things. So, all this time~ she was feeling insulted whenever I'm arrogantly talking to her? During that moment, I felt that I was being like my father. Dumb and Numb. It wasn't my intention to piss her off but- I became selfish. I didn't know she was very concern about me. Pabo. She made all her way to come and see me and I just said it is nothing! I even asked what she knows about me! Oh freak. I felt so ashamed!  She started to hit me in the chest but I held her hands and gave her a sad stare. She shouted again for me to say something, but I can't utter any words. There were no words that coming out, but when her tears started to run down, I felt that my knees became weak and hated myself for making her cry for the second time. "All this time, you didn't treat me as your friend? Am I a joke for you? Why can't you-"

Yes. I never treated her as my friend.. not as my friend only. I see her more than that! More than liking her, more than being aware of my feelings, more than being coward whenever she's around, more than making my day blue or shine.. I love her. I love her more than a friend.

Without hesitation, I pulled her into a hug. Doing it for the second time is fairly different. She didn't push me away, she was crying still. Why must I let her to feel this way? Why am I so jerk? "No.. Stop saying more." Dongho started to utter while tightening his hug to you, "You wouldn't want me to say what my heart really wants to say. Why do you keep on making these things more hard for me? I don't hate you. I would never hate you." 

She gently let go and asked once again what's wrong. I let it slide and said I'll leave the country and might never come back. Her eyes widened and blinked a couple of times. "It is shocking, I know. I just found out about it today. Sorry to make you look for me, earlier. We met and talked with my father and we'll come with him very soon. I know this is hard to believe, but.. I just don't want you to bother about it. I'm sorry.."

"What? You'll leave.. what?" she asked in knitted brows.

I explained everything as understanding as I can. She listened eagerly and was all quiet while I was talking. I'm not sure what were her reactions for every little detail I said, especially with the part of Soohyun hyung's marriage agreement. Her phone rang and it was Mrs. Jung that was asking where she is. "Your umma's looking for you now, you better go home." I looked at her and said it with an uncertain smile. "I guess so." she stood up, walked off without looking at me. I stood up too and uttered, "Can I see you tomorrow?" Sheez. I said that without thinking. Believe me. She stopped but didn't turn around. "You can come to our home." she answered and ran to her bicycle.


That was insane. She didn't look at me after hearing my explanation.. but one thing for sure. I'll see her tomorrow. At their house.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Sorry it's a late update :)
....... should I post the next chapter  asap? ^^
I'm actually done writing it :D

Weeeee! Comments are appreciated!