Chapter 20

A Twist In My Story

 

HEEYOUNG's POV

My mind blocked out for a moment. I was carried away with what I just discovered that I didn't notice my umma wasn't sitting beside me anymore and to my surprise, she is now talking to Dongho! I know how my umma enjoys talking to my friends but I wish I was able to stopped her.. NO. Not this time. Dongho still hates me, at least from what I believe. They are talking from not so far from where I'm still sitting; I can't believe he's smiling to my umma! Shin Dongho~ you who shouted to me with no reason?! /sigh/ Without removing my stares to him, I keep on cursing him, wishing to look at my side at the same time.. until he finally caught me and gives me a poker face in return. Can you believe it?! I'm not smiling either but why he keeps on giving me this guilt? His stare is making my body freeze that I can't even move my feet to come forward. I want to join them and I want to talk to Dongho, so bad! He shifts his stares back to my umma as he gave her a bow and left. My umma is now walking back to me with a smile in her face and waving her hand. I wonder what they were talking about earlier.

 

"Hee Young..." my umma approached me.
"Hmmm..?"
"Your friend will come over for dinner.. Come on honey~ Let's go home now. I need to cook something special tonight." she pulls my hand but I pulled her back to sit.
"What did you just say? My friend? Who? Umma!!!" I am afraid to hear what I'm expecting to hear.
"Huh? That? Your friend, Soohyun? He will go to our house later.. I heard from Hoon you like him and I'm still not thanking him from bringing you home last time." she explains cheerfully.

"ummmmMMMMAAAA!!!!!" I screamed in disbelief.

 

So, yes. That's how everything turned out not so well. My umma immediately headed to our kitchen when we arrived at home and I tried my best to tell her about Dongho but she was too busy to even notice my presence. I went upstairs and lay flat on my bed. I reached for my phone and texted Hoon oppa.

 

(composed message)
To: Hoonie Oppa

>> Who told you I like Soohyun? And you told umma, huh? I'll give you a supppeeer punch when you come home! :-) <<

 

I threw my phone as soon as my message sent and accidentally took a nap when my eyes got tired on staring at my ceiling. By the time I woke up, I immediately stood up to change my clothes. I was battling to myself on what to wear but just randomly picked a simple shirt and my black pants. I went downstairs to look what my umma was doing and found her almost done in cooking and baking. "Wow~ they all look yummmy!" I took a slice of my umma’s newly baked fruit cake and brought them all to my mouth. "Yah! Jung Hee Young, it's not for you! .. Oh? Why are you still not changing clothes? Your friend will be here soon, better to change early so you can help me afterwards.." I almost choked but still continued eating another slice of cake. "I'm in my attire now~ what change should I do more?" .. Well I was really in my attire~ what more can I say?
“Not an attire of someone that will attend a dinner maybe? Ah~ not an attire of someone that will have a diner with someone he likes? What excuse should we use then.. huh?”  My umma said while chuckling. That really got me in my nerves.. Thanks to Hoony Oppa that my umma won’t stop nagging about this someone I like… or not until I’ll clarify something I should clarify … (?)
“Seriously… umma! Will you stop talking about that..Okay! Okay! I’ve had enough. The guy that you invited to come over tonight~ isn’t Soohyun.. neither someone I like.. So would you please stop teasing me…” Finally! I was able to say it all.
“Huh?” I can see how puzzled my umma after saying those words, more likely~ let me say revelations. I sighed in annoyance and just blurted out what I really wanted to say, “His name isn’t Soohyun but Dongho. Shin Dongho~ We’re classmates… and just classmates and friends. There’s nothing special like what are you thinking there’s something~~ So mom~ let’s stop this…” I partly assumed that my mom was being like that because it was her first time hearing something about me..  liking someone.

 

Hmmm.. Did I over reacted? ...or maybe not. My umma's eyes widened after hearing my explanation. I was prepared to laugh on her mistaken of identity belief when I got startled she just smiled and continued on what she was doing. "Oh? Is that so? So..." she removed her apron and I waited for her answer.. So? Many So and So were playing in mind while waiting for her words~~ *So.. shall we invite Soohyun instead? *So.. Let's stop all these things! *So.. just be casual and stay in that attire. *So..... / but she didn't utter anything in my predictions.

 

"So.. what? Whether his name is Soohyun or Dongho or whatever you'll like to call him, he did something for you. Just go up and change your clothes." My jaw almost dropped with those words. I went upstairs and locked my room. Yes, she have a point~ why am I bothering for this dinner? I'm sure my umma just want to thank him for bringing me home last time but.. should I really wear something formal? ... I stood up for a minute and browsed my dresses. I picked my pink floral dress with laces in the sleeves and wore my heart-shaped necklace that my appa gave as a birthday gift. I let down my hair and just put a clipped on the side. I reached for my white flats and sprayed my favorite strawberry flavored perfume. With that~ I went downstairs and almost fell down from the stairs when I saw Dongho. He was there sitting on the sofa!!! Oh wait. I gulped and sneaked out on our clock, 6:34pm! There was still almost 30 minutes when he arrived. Was Dongho excited for this dinner or our clock was telling me a wrong time. I stayed still from where I was standing in our stairs.. three steps from the ground. I was hesitating to come forward and approached him but from where I was standing, all I can see was his back. Should I surprise him from behind and greet him like there was nothing happened? Or should I just stand here and wait until its 7 o'clock. I was so scared to approach him! Although he is a close friend of mine, we weren't talking much for the past few days. I was fighting with myself with what to do when someone tugged my arm from behind. "Aww!" I screamed not so loud. It was my umma who were smiling at me while telling me to entertain Dongho for a while so she can finish her preparation. "My baby is so pretty tonight~" she kissed me and pushed me down to take a step downwards. She signaled her hand for me to come towards Dongho and then she disappeared and went back upstairs. The feeling was so strange that I can't help but to feel a little awkward and nervous. I counted one to five and finally made a step forward. "Hi~" I self-consciously uttered from behind when I was standing near him. Dongho seemed to be a little surprised so he stood up immediately and turned his back to face me.

 

 

NO ONE’S POV

 

“Hi~! You called Dongho from behind. He immediately stood up after hearing your very familiar voice that’s always making his heart melts. He turned his body around to face you, “You came early..” you said as you lowered down your gaze. You felt like he didn’t want to talk to you so you just avoided his eyes and stared on the floor. Little did you know that Dongho can’t utter a word because he got too stun in your appearance. It was the first time he saw you being that formal and he thinks that you became three times prettier than usual. “You look really good.” He said in a serious tone. You looked up and stared at him. You then noticed how his hair was changed from being in the fluffy mushroom style to a cleaner cut with his bangs still on one side. “Ah.. You look good, too.” You said and flashed your sweet smile. A moment of silence and awkwardness.. Thanks to your umma that finally approached you to come over and take your seat.

 

So, yes. You were sitting face to face with Dongho and there's nothing wrong with that, not until your umma asked what is wrong with both of you. "Is there something wrong, kids?" You accidentally had an eye to eye contact with Dongho but he was too fast to shift his gaze to his plate. The dinner started with some questions from your mom to Dongho, she keeps on asking about these and those things and you didn't care to meddle with their conversation. You seem to enjoy the food so much for you to say a thing, you felt like you were a guest in your own home. Your umma were having so much fun talking to Dongho, and it was like they were having a mother and son conversation~ with you on the other side to just listen to them.

 

"Oh~ where's your mother by the way? I should invite her next time for something like this." You unintentionally chocked when you heard your mom's question to Dongho. It called out an attention so they looked at you and you reached for the water immediately. "Hee Young~ be careful.." your umma uttered and handed you a tissue. "Ye, umma... but.." you hesitated to say what you want to say. "Hmm? What is it honey?" .... "Ahmmm..." you sneaked for a sight of Dongho and you found him staring at you so you hesitated more to speak for what was bugging your mind. You wanted to tell your mom to prevent herself asking Dongho about his family because you know it’s too private to ask, "Nothing... uhm, the food is really good..” but you can’t help yourself to keep it to yourself, “.. and umma, be calm with your questions., ah.. uhm, not those personal things.." you gritted your teeth and just forcefully smiled after confessing what you wanted to say. Awkward~  "Oh~ of course! Ah yes Dongho.. Just enjoy the food. Sorry dear for asking too much.." Your umma gently smiled and approached Dongho. You sighed in relief and went back on eating your meal, when- "Ah no, it's okay.." Dongho uttered and gave your umma a smile of reassurance, "My mom's not here anymore.." He blurted out putting down his fork on the side, "She died when I was twelve because of a car accident.. and from then, my brother and I lived alone together." Dongho said without any hesitation. You never heard him saying these words before, he was too sensitive when it comes to his family and you felt like your tears were coming out. Your umma didn't say a thing either, he just reached for Dongho's hand and gently caressed it, "It's okay Mrs. Jung.." Dongho said, once again and smiled.

 

The dinner continued with a lot of laughter and sharing. It was like Dongho and your umma was getting really well along together. "When Hee Young was in pre-school, she had this classmate who approached me and asked if she could marry my daughter!" Your umma kept on chuckling and continued her story, "..I said he cannot because Hee Young was still young and he cried to his mom all day!" You blushed and screamed in embarrassment. "uumMMMMAAA!!!" Dongho laughed in the story, at the same in your embarrassed reaction, and more stories were being shared.

…………………

 

"Umma.." your little brother called out beside you. It was hilarious how you almost forgot he was actually there. "Oh yes baby?" your mom replied. You noticed how your brother was tottering in his seat and you know what it means. "You want to go to the bathroom to pee? Come on.. noona will come with you.." You were in the act of standing when your mom pulled you back. "I'll go with him~" With that, she carried your brother to the rest room and .......... Minutes of silence. You left sitting there with Dongho alone. "Ahh..." You attempted to start the conversation while staring at your food when Dongho spoke your name loudly, "Hee Young!" You got too surprised that you accidentally lose your grip to your spoon. "YE?!" You blushed with the sudden eye contact and answered him again, "Ye.. Dongho?" He didn't move but was about to open his mouth when your umma came back with Sung Hee, so from that time, you got a little bothered on what was the thing he wanted to tell you.

 

You didn't realize it was already ten o'clock in the evening when you stood up and Dongho asked permission to leave. "It was really really nice being here Mrs. Jung. Thank you for inviting me and giving me a chance to enjoy all of those delicious foods you prepared.." He said before leaving your house. "Of course~ I prepared them especially for you.. and don't be so formal around me.. Since you are my daughter's friend, you can just call me aunt~ nae? Have a safe trip home Dongho.." your mom said and shifted his eyes to you, "Hee Young, go and walk with Dongho until the bus stop.." You showed a questionable look after hearing your umma commanding you to lead him until the bus stop because it will take you ten minutes to reach that and of course ten minutes again going back home. Dongho gave his last bow and you just followed from behind. "You don't have to lead me the way until there. I brought my motorcycle so you don't have to worry yourself coming with me." You smiled in victory from behind, not noticing that Dongho already turned his back and was giving you a strange look. "Why are you smiling?" Dongho said in his usual cool tone. You stepped back with your eyes widening in shock. "Smiling? Me? I'm not smiling..." You defensively uttered. "Psch. I saw you smiling to yourself like an idiot.." You gave him a peculiar stares and sigh in disbelief, but what Dongho did next to you was too unexpected that made you mentally stumbled. He tugged your arms and pulled you into a hug. You didn't move neither tried to speak a word and just blinked your eyes for hundred times. You stayed like that for a minute but when his hug became tight enough for you to complain, he slowly let you go. "What was that for?" you asked in curiosity. Dongho, who was looking at the other side to avoid your gaze, was blushing like crazy. He wanted to chuckle but tried his best to refrain from doing it. "Nothing. Just nothing. I got to go." You pulled him back and spun his body to face you. "Are we friends now.. Again?" you timidly asked. "No.." he seriously said and patted your head "..but I missed you." You smiled and pushed him away, "Okay Shin Dongho~ now.. Go! .. and make sure to go to school with that hair style!"

 

While you were pushing him, you noticed that there was "Shin Soohyun" written in the motorcycle. "Oh!" you said in surprise. "What?" Dongho asked and you pointed the sticker with Soohyun's name. "Aah.. This was originally my hyung's motorcycle. He bought a car that's why I asked him to let me borrow this." It was now clear to you how your umma mistook Dongho for Soohyun's name. "You better remove the name while using it." You suggested to him since you don't want any incident of mistaken identity happen again. "I don't really care with such things.. but why?" He uttered and jumped off to ride his motorcycle. "Nothing! Okay bye!" You ran back to your house and Dongho started the engine, but when he was about to go.. He noticed Hoon was standing not from a far. "Hyung!" Dongho shouted and Hoon walked towards him.

“You visited huh?” Hoon told Dongho more than asking.
“Mrs. Jung invited me for a dinner. It wasn’t my first time being here though but this family is really warm and caring…” Dongho explained while smiling. Hoon stared at him with a mischievous smile and pulled him over the shoulders. He whispered something to Dongho that made the kid gulped and pushed him away.
“Of course not! I got to go.. Bye hyung!!!!” Dongho started the engine and left Hoon standing there alone.

 

“Hayyy Dongho.. you shouldn’t waste your opportunity when you still have time.. Tsk Tsk.. Kids these days~” Hoon muttered and walked inside the house.

 

 

A/N:

Sorry for late update!.. indeed its quite a long update again!
but I finally wrote a chapter after not being able to revise
the written chapters I made … ;___; Anyways~ I just want
Hee Young’s umma to take part on my story so I let her appear
again…. ^^;;;;; and hmmm. What do you think Hoon said to Dongho~??
lol. Thanks for my new subscribers and for your comments!!!
I always enjoy reading them and knowing what’s on my readers/friends
mind. Lots of love <3 …….. Shin DonghoooooooJjang ^^