Chapter 23: FAREWELL, not GOODBYE

101 Days to say I LOVE YOU

 

Taeyeon was starring at the ceiling while lying on her bed. She was thinking deeply. “How can it be over?” She thought to herself. She then called Sooyoung at her phone. She’s been contacting her for 30 minutes already and yet she still hasn’t pick up the phone. She’s starting to get worried badly about Sooyoung. She then remembers what Miss Baek and her talk about.

At the teacher’s room

Taeyeon was standing in front of Miss Baek. She sat in front of her. Miss Baek then gave her a brown folder which the principal gave to Miss Baek at their class. Taeyeon opened it and was shocked to see what it was.

Taeyeon: Miss… This…

Miss Baek: It’s a drop form.

Taeyeon: but why? When did this came? Miss! How can she drop?

Miss Baek: I don’t know too. Recently, she’s been hard to contact. We lost communication. That drop form was sent here yesterday to the Principal’s office. It was indicated there the reasons why.

Taeyeon: But Miss…

Miss Baek: The last time I talked to her, I heard that the owner of the orphanage was brought to the hospital. She asked me not to tell this to anyone yet. She told me that even Ms. Lee’s family doesn’t know about this yet. Ms. Lee doesn’t want her family to know this!

Taeyeon: Then, it means she won’t be able to go back to school anymore? If Ahjumma was sent to the hospital, it means it’s something serious!

Miss Baek: Taeyeon, only you can talk to her. Please, I’m begging you. It’s really hard for her at these times.

Taeyeon then stand up and prepare her things. Suddenly, there was a knock on her door. It opened and she saw her Oppa.

“Are you going to Sooyoung?”

“Oppa!”

“I’ll get you there. If you want, you can stay there for 3 days. I’ll be the one to take care of everything!”

“Kamsahmnida, Oppa!”

In the morning, Taeyeon went to the orphanage with Taecyeon who drove her there. Taecyeon knew something was wrong too. He then went away after driving Taeyeon there. As soon as Taeyeon went inside, she saw the kids playing happily. An old lady then came to her and greeted her.

“Annyeong Haseyo!” The old lady greeted

“Annyeong Haseyo, I’m Kim Taeyeon!”

‘Taeyeon?” The old lady was shocked, “Omo! You’ve grown so much!”

“Not really!” Taeyeon laugh a little, “It’s been so long!”

“Come on in!”

The old lady then points her room. She quickly unpacked her things. She then went out of her room as soon as she finished unpacking her things. She went to the living room and saw the old lady and served her food. The orphanage was only a small house but now it has became big and wide but it’s still made out of woods.

“It’s still the same, though it has become big!” Taeyeon said

“Ms. Lee doesn’t want to change the whole place. She wanted it the way it is before. It’s because she wanted to preserve the memories you left!”

“Oh, I forgot! How is Ahjumma? I heard she was confined to the hospital!”

“Ne!” The old lady then turn into sad face, “Everyone is worried especially Sooyoung. She was very worried about her even though she didn’t show it. She worries about her like she’s her real mother!”

“But why doesn’t Ahjumma want to tell it to her family?”

“She doesn’t want to make them worry!” The old lady continued, “It was very difficult for us not to tell it to Lee Family. We don’t know what to do. She’s very ill and is now bedridden.”

Taeyeon was saddened of what she found out. It was more serious than she ever thought it was. She then saw the kids happily playing around as if there was no problem. Well, they’re kids after all and she doesn’t want them to be sad of what happened. Suddenly, the gate opened and someone entered making all the kids jump to joy and go to the person. She stands up from her seat only to found out that it was Sooyoung who had arrived from the hospital.

She was just watching how the kids grew so close to Sooyoung. She could still remember when they were kids. Nobody wants to be friends with Sooyoung. She could only talk to one person and that is Prince. She remembers the first time they met. Sooyoung was always the last person chosen. Actually, she wouldn’t be chosen at all if not for Prince choosing her. Prince was always there for Sooyoung. Wherever they go, whatever they go, whenever, they were always together. Because of Prince, Sooyoung became close to the other kids and even more closer as time goes by.

Sooyoung then saw Taeyeon who was standing on her feet at the open living room. Sooyoung was shocked to see Taeyeon there but she was very happy that they meet again. Taeyeon went to her and hugged her tightly.

“Yeonie!” Sooyoung exclaimed after seeing her bestfriend.

 “Ya! Why aren’t you picking up my calls?” Taeyeon yelled, “How are you now?”

Sooyoung went to the living room and sat at the sofa with a sad expression embarked on her face, “I would be lying if I told you I’m ok”

Taeyeon followed her and sat beside her. She too feels sad.

“It’s already a week. A week since that night happened. A week that I have been trying to move on!” Sooyoung said as tears flow in her face, “I’m only lucky I wasn’t able to tell it to him or else, it’ll be really unfortunate”

“Soo!”

“I just wondered, what if I told him about my feelings. What if he found out earlier before he confessed? Will it change everything? Will he come to me and tell me he loves me too? Or will he apologized to me and say that we’ll just stay friends? I wonder… If he’ll love me too or just ignore my feelings”

“I don’t really know. But you know, Donghae is a sweet guy. He won’t let you get hurt”

“I know! I just wish he knows that I’m hurting…if he knows…”

“Soo?!”

Sooyoung wipes her tears and wear a lovely smile on her face, “But I know I can move on and forget it, slowly by slowly. Besides, I’m really sure he’s regretting it a lot by now!”

“Ne!” Taeyeon agreed, “You don’t know how many times he had asked me about you!” Taeyeon said suddenly changing the topic, “Anyway, I heard what happened to Ahjumma! How is she now?” Taeyeon was very worried

“I can’t really say now. She was bedridden!” Sooyoung said, “I’m very worried about her!” She then breathe heavily calming herself down.

“Omma and Appa don’t know what happened and I bet Oppa too. He drove me all the way here. I guess he was worried, they all are!” Taeyeon said, “Appa wanted me to give this to you!”

Taeyeon then hand her a short brown envelope. Sooyoung opened and saw a hundred of money bills. She was about to give it back but Taeyeon insisted.

“You know how Appa hates it whenever you are refusing his help!” Taeyeon said, “Besides, take it as a gift from Appa!”

Sooyoung then went to Ms. Lee’s room with Taeyeon. She was preparing her clothes to use at the hospital and other things. While Sooyoung was preparing, Taeyeon saw all the pictures at Ms. Lee’s room. There were lots of pictures around and it was mostly the 3 of them. Even though Taeyeon could only come at the Orphanage every once in a while, she couldn’t deny the fact that she became close to her. She treats her as her second mom. Sooyoung saw how Taeyeon stares at the pictures.

“It’s amazing right?” Sooyoung said as she comes near to Taeyeon, “She still has those pictures and what’s most surprising is, it was like it was taken just yesterday!”

“Ne! She really took care of it!”

“I always remember how Ahjumma always tell us how she wants to have kids of her own but it was impossible!”

“Ne. I remember that too! Even though she didn’t have her own kids, she felt like she does because of us. She always tells that we are her first children!”

“Ne. All three of us!”

 Sooyoung then went back to what she is doing. After getting all the things they need, Sooyoung then bid goodbye to them and went to the hospital with Taeyeon. As they arrive at the hospital, Taeyeon was becoming even more nervous. She doesn’t know what to do or say if she had finally seen Ms. Lee. Sooyoung then stopped at a certain room and face Taeyeon.

“This is it!” Sooyoung said as she turns around at Taeyeon, “Do you think you can smile in front of her?”

“I think so!”

Sooyoung then opened the door and they entered the room. Taeyeon was shocked to see the condition of her second mother. She didn’t expect it would that be worse- NO! She NEVER did! Tears formed at her eyes are slowly falling as she saw Ms. Lee. Now, she feels the same way Sooyoung feels right now. What she feels at that time wasn’t even a half of what Sooyoung is feeling now. For Sooyoung, Ms. Lee is her mother. She quickly wipes her tears and goes to Ms. Lee.

After staying for hours, Taeyeon and Sooyoung both went outside of the room. Taeyeon was leaving the hospital and will go back to the Orphanage to help the Old Lady with the kids.

“I think I better go!” Taeyeon said

“Are you sure you’ll be ok?”

“Ne!”

“Then, be careful!” Sooyoung said as Taeyeon leaves. “Taeyeon! Thank you!”

“No worries! You know, we’re sisters!”

Taeyeon then left the hospital and went back. As Taeyeon finally went back, she head to her room. She lay down at her bed as she felt a heavy feeling pulling her down. She took a pillow and hugged it and before she even fall asleep, “Farewell, not goodbye” she said and finally falling asleep.