When He's Having Problems and Breaks Down In Front of You

Optional Bias Scenarios, Idol Version

 

Once again, you prepared for the variety show in eager anticipation of the excitement to be had. You and your boyfriend were both regular guests, providing you with a much-appreciated opportunity to see him while at work. Even as your stylist brushed a pale gloss on your lips, a smile continued to break on your face. This was a part of your job you really enjoyed.

As soon as your time in the styling chair came to an end, you began a tireless hunt for your boyfriend. As you searched, you walked quite literally into the broad chest of one of his fellow band members.

“Oh! Hey, have you seen him?” you asked, hoping he could point you in the right direction. He looked at you with a sad smile.

“He can’t come today. He’s-” Before he could finish, the two of you were pulled away by stage managers to have microphones clipped on and were rushed to the show’s extravagant set. Throughout the entirety of this recording, your mind was focused on concern over your boyfriend’s absence. Was he sick? Did something happen to him?

After the recording, you rushed to catch up with his group member before he had a chance to leave.

“I think you should come talk to him,” he began. “Practice has been really tough lately and he really struggled during today’s recording. He was making all these weird mistakes and then he got this phone call…” his voice diminished as though he too wasn’t quite sure why the day’s events played out as they did. You nodded, encouraging him to continue. “He got a phone call, and then he left without saying a word. Our manager said he saw him back at the dorm but I don’t know. Maybe he’d talk about it to you?” The worry you had experienced while filming blossomed into a panicked state.

You begged your manager to drive you to his dorm. Fortunately for you, he was sympathetic to your desperate pleas and drove you right away. One of his other members opened the front door of the dorm and glanced worriedly at his bedroom as you walked towards it. As you neared the room, you could hear muffled cries and sniffling.

“Are you alright?” you asked. He turned around to face you, visibly surprised to see your presence in his room. Slowly you sat down next to him, placing your hand on his muscular back.

“I heard you’re having a bad day. Do you want to talk about it?” He sighed and nodded. Quietly, he began to explain what had told you earlier, hesitating at the mention of the phone call. “You can tell me,” you assured him. Another wash of tears formed in his usually bright eyes.

“One of my close cousins…he’s really sick.” He closed his eyes in pain, trying hopelessly to stop the watery flow from his eyes. “This is so embarrassing,” he sighed. “I shouldn’t let my stress get to me like this.” You leaned to look directly in his eyes.

“Don’t be embarrassed. Everybody breaks down sometimes. It’s part of what makes us human.” He rubbed his eyes fervently. “It’s going to be okay.” You bit your lip and pulled the sleeve of your shirt over your palm, wiping his eyes gently. Softly, you began to sing a ballad from your group’s latest album, with eloquent lyrics you had written with his help. It wasn’t long before his face was dry once again, his strong arms wrapped around your shoulders.

“Thank you,” he whispered, closing his eyes.