When He Sees You Crying

Optional Bias Scenarios, Idol Version

 

You and the rest of your members were excited to say the least. Your manager, Dongshin, rolled his eyes as the five of you sang loudly on the way to your first variety show recording. “Hey!” said the maknae, Dae.

“What?” you asked, expecting a stupid joke.

“They're is going to be on the show with us!” She didn't even need to say the name for you to know exactly who she meant. 

“Really? Let me see!” You abandoned any effort to conceal your excitement as you grabbed her phone from her hands. It was true, he and the rest of his group was also going to be guests on the show. You tried to hide your smile as you returned the phone to her, but to no avail.

“You better behave yourself!” lectured your leader Jiyeon, “We can’t have any scandals!”

“Scandals?” Dongshin turned around with a concerned look on his face. The five of you quickly reassured him that there was nothing to worry about. Tina and Miyoung started to laugh, and you glared at them in annoyance. Sometimes these girls could really get on your nerves. Eventually, the black SUV you were riding pulled up to the studio. You and your members exchanged glances of excitement as you saw a large number of fans crowd around the doors. Sure, you had met many of your Peppermints at fanmeets, but this was the first time seeing them at a broadcasting station. As a few security guards helped you to exit the van, cameras flashed and several hands extended to hand you various letters and gifts. You smiled and tried to thank as many people as you could, but security had to keep you moving through into the building. As you walked past the number of fans, you couldn’t help but see a few people glaring at you. You had experienced anti-fans before, but seeing them in person was always uncomfortable. Even still, you smiled brightly and made your way into the broadcasting station’s lobby. It was time to record the show.

The variety show was as fun as you had anticipated it to be. As you engaged in interview questions, displays of talent, and peculiar games, you exchanged glances time to time with _____, subtly expressing how happy you were to see your boyfriend. You practically fell over with laughter when he had to participate in the “paper kiss” game with his other members, his face clearly displaying how awkward he felt. When the cameras turned away from him, he would turn slightly to glare cutely at your face, making you laugh even harder.

Eventually, everyone took a break from the recording to have lunch. “Yah! Want to come get lunch with us?” Tina inquired as you turned to walk to the dressing room.

“No, thanks. I’m not feeling super hungry yet.” Tina shrugged and ran to catch up with the rest of Elemint, leaving you to go back to the room. You felt like she suspected your real reasons for staying, but if she did, she didn’t mention it.

As you waited for him to finish up with his group, you looked through the gifts and letters you had received from your fans. You smiled at the cute teddy bears, the confessions, admiring letters, and adorable little presents. As you continued to peruse them, one in particular stood out. It was a white envelope, with only your name written on the back. Curious, you opened it and pulled out the folded notebook paper.

Words like worthless, hideous, and pathetic stood out in the dark blue ink. The anti-fan berated you for everything that could possibly be considered imperfect about you, and even went so far as to demanding you kill yourself if you knew what was good for your group. The cruel words blurred as tears formed in your eyes. You tried to remind yourself that this person meant nothing, but you still couldn’t find it in yourself to get over the fact that someone seemed to genuinely wish you dead. Despite your efforts, you soon found yourself crying into your arms, regretting that you had ever opened that letter.

Suddenly the door opened, and you heard a familiar voice call your name. “Baby?” When he saw you crying, he ran over to your side and lifted up your chin. “Hey, don't cry. What’s wrong? What happened?” Too upset to speak, you merely gestured to the opened letter as more tears fell from your eyes. He picked it up and scanned it, his face becoming progressively more angry. “ You know this isn’t true. Anti-fans don’t know what they’re saying.” He held your chin once more. “Nothing they say is true. You’re beautiful and wonderful and anything but pathetic. You know that right?” You looked up into his eyes. “Tell me you know that.” You nodded. “Good.” He lifted you up and pulled you into a tight hug. “Look at how many more letters you have from true fans. You inspire them so much.” He kissed your cheek. “I couldn’t be more proud of you.”

“Thank you,” you said, sniffing once more and allowing a smile to make its way onto your face. He laughed gently and wiped the tears from your cheeks.

“Do you want to go get something to eat? We still have time.”

You smiled again. “Yeah,” you agreed, as he took your hand and pulled you out the door, leaving the hateful letter forgotten on the table.