When He's Acting Like a Jerk and You Decide to Take a Break [Part II]

Optional Bias Scenarios, Idol Version

 

The weeks you spent in Japan fled by surprisingly quickly, each day crammed tightly with various promotions and activities. There wasn’t much time to spend worrying about the struggles with your relationship, and your mood began to improve. You enjoyed spending time with your other group members, each of them doing their best to focus your attention away from nagging problems.

When you returned to your dorm, the smile on your face gradually began to fade. A picture frame of you and your boyfriend sat on the nightstand, a thin film of dust obscuring the once clear image. Despite your inhibitions, you scrolled through local news webpages, keeping your eyes keen for any sign of his name. One article in particular grabbed your attention.

It featured pictures of your boyfriend walking with another celebrity towards a restaurant near his recording studio. The glowing smile on his face brought a sigh from your lips. As much as you hated to embrace the idea, you missed him incredibly. When your relationship was steady and comfortable, this wouldn’t have bothered you. He was allowed to have his friendships and you had yours, but the idea of him spending time with another girl when you two were taking a break made your heart sink slightly. The article entertained the idea that your boyfriend and this singer were in a relationship together, asking the readers their opinion of the potential couple.

You tossed your phone haphazardly on your mattress and sat down with a shaky sigh in your throat. It was you who had initiated the break, and yet the pain of him seeing somebody else rang sharply through your veins. You were conflicted. He probably thought you didn’t want to see him anymore, but a part of you had hoped he would wait for your return.

Time passed by slowly this time, your mind overwhelmed with nagging thoughts and clashing opinions. Your boyfriend had sent text messages and tried to call you a few times, but you ignored everything that came your way. You wanted to see him, but feared the possibility of truth in the article’s words. What if he was trying to officially end your relationship? If you answered the phone, would he be asking for you to return his sweatshirt and possessions you had? No, answering the phone was not an option for you. In spite of your better judgment, you took the cowardly route, avoiding the problems completely.

About a week after your return, a familiar figure stood waiting in the practice room. You turned to leave, afraid to speak with him. He approached you quickly, grabbing your elbow tightly.

“ Wait. Hear me out.” You looked into his eyes, surprised by the warm desperation mirrored in the dark pools. “I don’t know if you’re still mad at me, but I-” You shook away from his grasp.

“Save it, okay? Don’t you have someone else you should be with?” His eyebrows pulled together in confusion before he made a connection.

“You don’t think that article was true, do you? I’m helping that group produce an album. We’re just friends, you know that!” You were hesitant to express your relief, still perplexed by the situation.

“But we were taking a break… I thought maybe…” Before you could finish the slow stream of thoughts, he pulled you into a snug embrace.

“It felt like you were gone forever! I really missed you.” You said nothing, but nuzzled your face comfortably into his chest. His familiar scent lingered on the soft fabric of his shirt, and you reveled in the warmth you had begun to miss. He looked down at you contentedly, refusing to let go. “No more breaks, okay?”