When You're On a Variety Show With Someone From Your Home Country and He Gets Jealous

Optional Bias Scenarios, Idol Version

 

You had grown to look forward to the variety shows. The opportunity to sit with celebrities like you, talking and playing games, was a break of sorts from the daily stress of the idol lifestyle. As the cameras began to roll, you allowed yourself a glance in your boyfriend’s direction. He smiled back, acknowledging the gesture without the notice of fans. Enthusiastically, the hosts began to introduce the show’s regulars and guests.

The emcee began to speak, turning the attention towards you. “Aren’t you and Hyo from the same country?” You nodded, smiling happily towards him.

“Were you born there?” you asked him, in your country’s language. He nodded.

“I lived there for nine years!” Together you spoke for a few minutes, confusing your fellow hosts and guests. “Do you think if we laugh, they will too?” he asked, a teasing smile on his lips.

“Let’s find out!” Your laughter grew louder as those around you chuckled awkwardly, unaware of the conversation around you. Had you turned your head, you would have noticed your boyfriend’s still expression, a sigh in his breath.

When the group divided into partnerships for games, the hosts insisted you pair yourself with Hyo. You were inclined to join with your best friend from another group, but couldn’t resist the chance to reminisce over your home country with someone who understood its sentimental charms.

Throughout the recording, everyone continued to gush over the chemistry between you two. Fanservice at its best, you smiled through the comments and continued to play the games with your usual enthusiasm. At the very least, your manager would be proud of the extended screen time.

Backstage with Hyo, you continued to recall fond memories of your hometown. He was a couple of years older than you, but together you quickly realized you had both attended the same high school. Memories and jokes flowed casually through the conversation, but you made an effort to include your boyfriend. It proved to be a challenge, as it was tempting to attach to whatever reminded you of home.

Later, when he was driving discreetly to drop you off at your dorm, you mentioned the show’s discovery.

“I can’t believe we’re from the same place. Isn’t that cool?

“Yeah,” he said halfheartedly, his eyes glued to the blackened pavement before him. Your momentary confusion subsided as you realized his situation. Had it been you in his position, the envy would have become nearly unbearable. Not being able to associate with the one you love with regard to something as important to them as a hometown had to be discouraging.

“You know,” you began, turning to look at him with sincerity, “It was nice to talk to someone from home, but I’ll always like talking to you better. Maybe you should come with me next time I visit! That way, we can have our own memories to talk about. Besides, you could meet my family.” The frown he had been trying to hide slowly dissolved into a glowing smile.

“You’re the greatest, you know that?” You laughed, leaning back comfortably into your seat.

“I know.” He tapped lightly against your head, holding back his laugher.

“What am I going to do with you?”