When He Gets Close to One of Your Band Members and You Feel Jealous

Optional Bias Scenarios, Idol Version

You rested you chin on your palm as you watched the scenery pass quickly past the car windows. Two of your group members, Tina and Miyoung, were busy filming as a part of your boyfriend’s group’s newest music videos. Your manager chattered happily to you and your other members as you waited in traffic, all three of you eager to start dancing.

“Why don’t you go get them?” he asked you, knowingly offering you a brief chance to say hello to your boyfriend. You stretched your legs and slid out of the car, your sneakers squeaking softly as you ran. As you turned a corner in the building, loud familiar laughs met your ears.

“What’s so funny?” you asked, a smile on your face. Both Tina and your boyfriend turned to face you, still chuckling at the unmentioned joke. Tina grinned.

 “Inside joke. Ready to go?” She turned her attention to Miyoung, beckoning her to follow. You shook away your curiosity, waving discreetly to your boyfriend as he rejoined his group.

Practice began as soon as your group walked into the room. Your choreographer turned up the music, the next title track pounding from every speaker. You danced with enthusiasm, the beat guiding everyone’s motion in perfect synchronization.

“That was great! Have some water. We’ll try it again in a few minutes.” The five of you retired to the corner, tossing water bottles and towels into everyone’s hands. Tina was glued to her phone, fingers typing rapidly at the screen. Your leader Jiyeon leaned over her shoulder, craning her neck to see.

“Who are you texting?”  Tina leaned to the side, letting her see.

“Her boyfriend?” she asked, pointing to you. “Why?” Tina rolled her eyes.

“We’re friends. Is that a crime?” For a moment it seemed as though they were going to argue, but your choreographer had returned to the room with another wave of animated vigor.

“Let’s do it again girls! And this time, no mistakes!” You groaned as you stood, shaking out the tightness that had settled in your legs. Tina’s phone rang loudly, earning several groans from you and the group members, and a disapproving glance from your choreographer. She silenced the ring, returning to her position in the choreography. You were distracted as you danced, your mind refusing to shift from the budding envy. Why was he texting her so much? You were his girlfriend, and you were hardly able to catch him at a time when he wasn’t preoccupied with his group.

“You’re doing it wrong! Do it again,” your choreographer told you, turning from the sweet woman you adored to a drill sergeant as you began to make unnatural mistakes. Your maknae offered an irritated glare in your direction, beads of sweat collecting at her hairline. You apologized, pushing the jealousy from your thoughts.

A few days later, Tina posted a charming selca of herself with your boyfriend on the music video’s set, both smiling happily, their hair pinned in place with matching clips by stylists. You grimaced unhappily. The only public pictures of you and your boyfriend were group shots, both of you too conscious of the suspicious public to risk anything more personal. Fans commented all over your group’s page, admiring the compatibility of the “music video couple.” Resting your cheek on the cool glass of the dining table, you closed your eyes and let out a heavy sigh. The jealously was becoming unbearable.

Your boyfriend waved to you happily when you visited his company building, holding up a finger to let you know he’d talk to you in a minute. When he found a moment to spare, the two of you sat and talked quietly in the nearby armchairs. You hesitated, looking to find the confidence to tell him how you felt. Letting in a deep intake of air, you started to explain. He nodded, listening politely while you rambled about feeling jealous and how guilty you felt for being envious. He smiled, placing a hand on your arm.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to make you feel jealous, but I’m really glad you told me.” He chuckled. “Actually, Tina was getting kind of annoying. I know you’re like sisters but…she never…” You laughed.

“She never shuts up?” He nodded, both of your laughs ringing in your ears.

“I love her, but nobody’s perfect.” Your boyfriend grinned, pulling his phone out of his pocket.

“Looks like I have a few hours to spare. Want to get something to eat?” You nodded enthusiastically, ecstatic to finally have a large window of time to spend with him.

When you returned to your dorm, Tina leaned uncomfortably against your bedroom window.

“Can I come in?” You nodded, scooting over to make room for her on your bed.

“I feel like it was indecent of me to post that picture. I mean, with what the fans said about us… I’m not trying to steal him or anything. Or…” You laughed, leaning your head on her shoulder.

“I know that!” She grinned, patting you on the head.

“Besides, I like you better.” You smiled, hugging your band mate tightly around the waist.