When You Collapse From Overworking Yourself

Optional Bias Scenarios, Idol Version

 

You and the rest of your group entered you practice room as you did every day. Today was particularly exciting because the five of you were going to learn the choreography for your next title track. You threw down your gym bags in the corner of the room and changed into your dance shoes. As you tied your laces, you felt the onset of the headache and it reminded you of the dizziness you woke up with in the morning. You thought about saying something to the other members, but washed the concerns from your mind in anticipation of learning a new dance.

Your choreographer entered the room and right away began teaching your group the dance. It was fast and precise, forcing you to move your bodies exactly with the quick beat. Just as you were beginning to feel the dizziness return, your leader Jiyeon suggested you all take a water break. You dragged yourself over to the gym bags and took large gulps of the cool water.

“Hey. You okay?” asked your rapper, Tina. “You look really tired.” You shook your head. “No. Tina, I’m fine. You smiled and stood up, still a little shaky on your feet.

As the practice progressed, you found yourself missing more and more of the dance moves you would normally execute flawlessly.

“What’s up with you today?” asked your maknae Dae.

“Yeah, you seem a little off.” Jiyeon came towards you and tried to put her hand on your forehead. You pulled away before she had a chance to check for a fever.

“I’m fine,” you said, trying to appear collected and alert. The other members exchanged concerned looks, but said nothing more as you once again began to practice the choreography.  As the song reached the dance break, you began to realize just how sick you felt. A black blurriness was creeping into the corners of you peripheral vision, but still you pushed through. You needed to learn this dance. You were the best in the group, and you needed to prove to yourself and the others that you could do this. Before you even had a chance to attempt the challenging steps, your legs gave out beneath you and you fell to the floor.

The other members quickly ran towards you and tried to get you to wake up.

"Hey! Sweetie! Are you alright?” Miyoung shook your shoulders gently, trying to get you to open your eyes. Within seconds your manager Dongshin was lifting you from the floor and carrying you out to the van. “I’m going to take her to the hospital,” he said calmly, attempting to conceal his concern. As much as they wanted to come with and make sure you were alright, the rest of your group needed to stay back and finish learning the rest of the dance.

You woke up to the feeling of someone rubbing the back of your hand with their soft fingers. You opened your eyes and saw your boyfriend, frowning with worry. As your eyes met, his concerned expression turned into one of happiness.

“You’re awake! I was so worried about you,” he said as his frown returned. “As soon as I got the message from your leader I left practice and came here.”

“You didn’t have to do that,” you said weakly. “I don’t want you to get in trouble.” He rolled his eyes slightly and brushed you hair out of your face.

“Of course I came.” He kissed your forehead gently, as though he were handling a piece of fragile glass. “You know, the doctor said you’re allowed to go home now that you’re awake.”

You frown. “But what about practice?”

He looked you in the eyes with a stern expression. “You’re going home, and you’re going to sleep.” Too tired to argue, you nodded your head and allowed him to help you from the bed.

He carried you out to the car despite your protests, buckled you into your seat and climbed in behind the wheel. On the way back to your dorm he sang to you, and soon you fell asleep in the passenger seat.

He lifted your sleeping figure from the car and carried you to your bedroom, carefully setting you down so as not to wake you up. As he turned to leave you began to stir in your sleep. Changing his mind, he walked back over to you and lay down beside you. He sang softly, eventually falling asleep with you wrapped safely in his arms.