When He's Acting Like a Jerk and You Decide to Take a Break [Part I]

Optional Bias Scenarios, Idol Version

 

Promotions had never been this difficult before. With your group’s speedy rise in popularity, you became buried deeper and deeper beneath schedules, fan meetings, photo shoots, recording sessions, and performances. Any time you were allotted that didn’t involve Elemint was spent either sleeping or being drastically cranky out of exhaustion.

Unfortunately, you weren’t the only one struggling with the high demands of a celebrity lifestyle. Your boyfriend had become a crankier version of himself, and the two of you spent time together more out of a feeling of necessity than out of want.

You sat in the stiff wooden chair with your arms crossed. Any attempt you made at conversation caused your boyfriend to snap at you rudely, and a part of you just wanted to ask him to leave. As much as you disliked his behavior, it was no secret you wouldn’t be able to see each other very often in the coming months. His group was beginning a round of promotions themselves, and Elemint was nearing the time for a debut in Japan.

“Babe?” you began, hesitating with your speech. “Do you want to go out today? We could grab dinner or something?” You tried to form the question politely, desperate to think of anything that could be done together to ease the room’s tension. Despite your efforts, the look he responded with was one of annoyance and irritation.

“Why do we always have to be doing something? You’re being really annoying, you know that?” You weren’t sure how to respond to his sudden anger, but pushed away your urge to respond. It wasn’t a good time to start a fight. The stress of travelling to a new country was going to be nerve-wracking enough, and you didn’t want this strained relationship adding to the pressure. Lowering your voice to a near whisper, you took a deep breath and made a suggestion.

“Look, we’re both really stressed out right now. Maybe we should just take a break for a while.” Surprise reflected back towards you in your boyfriend’s eyes, yet you knew he agreed. Forcing his expression into one of indifference, he stood to leave.

“Fine. Good luck in Japan.”

He left your dorm quickly, leaving you to lay on your bed and wonder if you made the right decision. Would he be in a better mood when you returned? He wasn’t going to find somebody else, was he? You weren’t sure if you even wanted him back at the moment. If the angry, arguing, irritable person was how he would be for the rest of his life, you were certain you wanted nothing to do with him. Rationalization aside, pangs of loneliness and regret had already begun to chew away at your thoughts.

Only a few days had passed and it was already time for you to leave for Japan. Fans congregated around the entrance, enthusiastically seeing off their favorite idols and wishing you good luck. A smile lingered on your face as you and your group members promised to do well and return quickly, yet inside your brain was tangled with confusion.

You settled into the small seat on the airplane and let forth a heavy sigh. The chance to meet your Japanese fans made you happy, and the performances you would be putting on were always fun and exhilarating.

As the airport below you grew increasingly smaller, you looked forward into the bright spray of clouds floating in the sunny sky. Something inside promised you things would be better upon your return. You loved him and assured yourself that with time, you could welcome each other back.