When the Fans Ship You and a Member and Your Boyfriend Finds Out

Optional Bias Scenarios, Idol Version

“Hey! Come look at this!” Tina called to you with a loud laugh. You followed the sound of her chuckles to her bedroom, peering at the laptop from over her shoulder. Your chin rested comfortably on her blue sweater.

“What?” She scrolled down quickly to a picture. Your laughter joined hers, tears in both of your eyes. Fans had compiled a series of images, the pictures layered colorfully underneath bright text with your names combined cleverly. She turned to you with a wide grin, her eyes marked with laughter.

“They ship us!” Laughing, you pulled her chair around, spinning it wildly. “Our fans ship us together,” she repeated with enthusiasm. You both laughed again, slapping your hands together in amusement.

A few weeks later at a radio recording, you turned around to smile at the fans pressed against the window. A few held decorated signs, encouraging messages written over every paper. Tina nudged you playfully, your leader Jiyeon pointing and waving to the excited fans. Some of them waved colorful posters with your pairing name in black marker. They called out your names, cheering enthusiastically.

Tina grabbed your hand, waving it at the fans with a pout on her pink lips. The fans cheered louder, one pointing with a smile and others holding camcorders to the thick glass.

Today you had opened a few of the fan letters received on the way to your most recent recording. Giggling again, you pulled a thick piece of paper out of a yellow envelope. Tina laughed, pulling the drawing into full view.

A fan had drawn a large portrait of the two of you, with Tina planting a kiss on your forehead. The couple name for you two was written in dark letters to the side, and the fan’s signature was an elegant flourish in the corner. For a while you laughed, appreciating the art’s quality while snickering at the idea of being “shipped” with each other. It was amusing more than anything else; your long and close friendship washing away any trace of what might have been uncomfortable between the two of you.

You forgot about the art soon after, tidying your desk before your boyfriend came over. He walked in the doorway, sitting down on your mattress with a confused expression on his face.

“What’s this?” he asked loudly, laughing and raising his eyebrows at the same time. You chuckled, and laughed harder when Tina walked by the door.

“Are you guys looking at that picture?” She stood in the doorway, her head resting against the frame. Your boyfriend held it to the light, inspecting the details closely.

“I mean… I knew fans were into this kind of thing, but I guess I never expected people to ship you with your group members.” You smacked him playfully on the arm, faking insult.

“What? You mean you think I’m not shippable?” He rolled his eyes, placing the picture back on your desk.

“No, you are. But I don’t know, it just seems weird.” Tina laughed again, walking next to you and placing an arm over your shoulder.

“Of course they ship us together. We’re ideal.” She stressed the last word with her characterized smirk, tugging at your hair leisurely with her hand. “I’m going to steal her from you, she’s mine.” Your boyfriend crossed his arms, faking jealousy. He grabbed you lightly around the wrist, tugging you away from Tina and closer to him.

“No. You can’t have her. Besides, can you do this?” He pulled you close, bringing his lips to yours slowly. Tina stepped away in mock repulsion.

“Ugh! Why would I want to?” You stared at her with a sharp glare. She laughed again, leaning forward to pat your cheek. “I love you dear, but ugh.” You laughed as well, smacking her hand away.

“I don’t want to kiss you either.” She chuckled as she left the room, waving her hand absently. As she turned the corner, she faced you once more, offering a subtle wink before disappearing. Your boyfriend’s eyes lingered on the drawing once again.

“I wonder what the fans would say if they knew about us? Do you think they would pair us together?” You laughed, leaning in towards his lips once more.

“If it counts for anything, I ship us together.” He laughed, kissing you again, his smile curling contentedly over your lips.