Composing

Optional Bias Scenarios, Idol Version

 

You stood in front of the round black microphone and took a deep breath. You gave your producer a thumbs up to signal you were ready. He smiled back at you and soon you heard the familiar song play in your oversized studio headphones.  You sang passionately, not even needing the printed lyrics on a stand in front of you. With your eyes shut you couldn’t see the producer adjusting the sound board. You couldn’t see your members waiting outside for their turn, Dae impatiently bothering the rapper, Tina. You couldn’t see the soundproof walls, creating a room of exclusively your voice, and you couldn’t see your boyfriend, walking in to pick you up after you finish.

As he opened the door, he was greeted by the melody of your voice ringing from speakers in the room. He said hello to the other members of your group, and sat down next to them to wait for you.

“She’s great isn’t she,” he said, smiling proudly. The other members nodded profusely and included him in their conversation.

You opened your eyes as you sang the last note, and smiled brightly when you saw your visitor. You wave at him and gesture to tell him that you have one song left to record. He nods and sits up straight, as if to show you just how intently he’d be listening.

Once again, the song plays softly in your ears, this time a sad and sweet ballad as opposed to the upbeat track that preceded it. You make eye contact with him before closing your eyes once again and immersing yourself in the song.

This time your members sit quietly, listening carefully to the lyrics of the solo track you had composed yourself. He stared with his eyes wide and gentle, floored by the beauty of your music. He knew you had a nice voice, but he had never had the opportunity to hear you sing something that was entirely yours. The room outside the sound booth was absolutely silent as the last few notes hung delicately in the air. You smiled, carefully removing the headphones and exiting the booth. “What did you think”, you asked him, genuinely desiring his opinion. He opened his mouth slowly, closed it, and opened it again. You looked at him with confusion, momentarily worried that he didn’t like it.

“It was….amazing. Really amazing,” he says, his voice cracking slightly on the last word. You hugged him tightly and smile. Gently, you leaned towards his ear and whispered to him.

“I wrote it for you.” He gave you a bright smile and kissed you gently. “I love it.” He kissed you again, not pulling back this time.

“Ugh! Get a room!” Dae looked at you two in mock disgust, but with laughter in her eyes. Your boyfriend rolled his eyes playfully and dragged you out of the room.