When There Is a Rumor Going Around That You're Cheating and He Starts to Believe It

Optional Bias Scenarios, Idol Version

As your boyfriend scanned the music headlines online, one article in particular jumped forth to his eyes. He clicked on it several times, impatient with the slow pace at which it was loading. The title read “Elemint’s vocalist and Spark’s Dongmin: More Than Just Friends?” Spark was a six-member boy group also signed under your company. You and your members were very close to the boys, having spent a couple of years training alongside them before you debuted. You and Dongmin in particular were good friends. Both of you joined the company around the same time, and enjoyed composing songs together for your groups.

The article included pictures of you and Dongmin, laughing happily together as you walked to a recording together. It offered “evidence” that the two of you had romantic chemistry, asking readers of the article to comment on this “adorable pairing.”

Your boyfriend rolled his eyes. Part of him felt a pang of jealousy at the sight of you spending time with another man, but he stifled the sensation. He knew you and Dongmin were close, and understood how hurt you would be if he vocalized his envy. Even still, he was certain the article exaggerated the details of your friendship. Laughing at the ignorance and inaccuracy of the news, he exited from the website.

A few days later, your boyfriend arrived at the studio to pick you up. He walked to the recording room, pausing when he saw you with Dongmin. You had your hand on his shoulder, patting it gently as you stared directly in his eyes. Dongmin’s back was turned to him, and your boyfriend hid behind the shadow of the door when you looked in his direction. You were pulling your friend into a tight embrace, closing your eyes and holding him with a tightness that seemed more than a simple goodbye. Dongmin stood up, nodding to you and leaving the room, his face hidden from your boyfriend by his hair.

As soon as the other boy left, your boyfriend stepped into the room, trying to appear casual. He never wanted to believe what he read in that unreliable article, but recently he had become suspicious. It seemed as though you were always spending time with Dongmin, even leaving at night to take him places. To your boyfriend, it looked as though your sibling-like relationship had progressed to something more, and it made him uncomfortable.

You were confused when he wouldn’t meet your gaze. It didn’t take long for you to realize what he was acting strange about.

“Babe? Is something wrong?” you asked, staring at him with worry.

“No. Nothing,” he mumbled. You shook your head.

“Don’t lie to me.” He stared straight in your eyes with an intensity you rarely saw.

“You know how much you mean to me right?” Confused, you nodded in response. “And you know that I love you? And that I wish I could spend more time with you?” Suddenly, realization blossomed in your mind.

“Is this about Dongmin? Because I have a perfectly good reason to be around him so often.” You were torn between being annoyed and sympathetic, but continued to explain. “His mother is in the hospital right now and he’s having a really hard time. I’ve been trying to comfort him and take him to visit her when I can. You don’t think I’m cheating, do you? He’s just a friend.”

Your boyfriend looked down, feeling guilty for suspecting you. He should have known you woul never hurt him. Your trustworthiness was one of the things he valued most.

“I’m sorry…” You shook your head.

“Don’t apologize! You have the right to ask for an explanation.” He smiled, pleased with your accepting attitude. Kissing the top of your head, he smiled.

“I love you.” You stood on your tip-toes, aligning your lips with his.

“I love you too,” you said, kissing him lightly.