Getting to know you

The competition

 

“So you like unicorns huh?” Lay asked, his teasing tone leaking through his voice. Suho groaned and sank to the floor on his knees, continuing to hide his face. He could tell that his face was a violent shade of red and couldn’t bare the embarrassment he felt coursing through him. The was a slight shuffle as light footsteps got closer to him as his heart in turn sped up. The footsteps stopped as he felt the air around him shift, seconds later soft hands were pulling the fabric away from his face. He felt the cool air of his room hit his burning face, affirming what he already knew. Lay was crouched in all of his pale, chocolate haired perfection, before Suho. He had a lazy smile gracing his lips and his eyes had a certain charming, boyish twinkle. Suho remained crouched with wide eyes and flushed cheeks as Lay donned the t-shirt and jumper.

“Don’t be so embarrassed.” Lay said as his head popped through the top of the woollen jumper, “I love unicorns and I think it’s cute.”

“Really?” Suho asked, unsure of whether the other was just making fun of him or if he actually meant it. “But I don’t want to come across as cute.” He grumbled quietly. He wasn’t meant to but it was clear by his widening grin that Lay had heard him.

“If it helps,” Lay whispered quietly, his long, nimble fingers gently down the side of Suho’s still crimson face, “I think you’re also seriously y.” A brief wink accompanied those words and Suho felt himself shiver as Lay’s gaze locked with his own. Damn were those eyes y…wait, had Lay said that he was y? Suho couldn’t help it when a loud snort burst from his lips and he doubled over with laughter, hitting his small fist lightly over the cream carpet. One glance up at Lay’s perplexed expression had him laughing even harder. He wheezed as he finally managed to stop laughing and rubbed his stomach to sooth the aching muscles.

“What’s so funny?” Asked lay, eyebrows furrowed comically.

“You said that I was y.” Suho puffed out, still giggling slightly. That reply didn’t seem to have any effect on lessening the younger’s confusion. “I am the farthest from y it is possible to get and, I don’t know, I guess I found it funny.” Suho felt himself blush once more as he summed it up, feeling rather stupid for having laughed so hard. Now Lay would think that he was not only a crazy guy who was obsessed with unicorns, but a crazy guy who was obsessed with unicorns and snort laughed over silly things. Not ideal. His thoughts were cut short as he felt a cool hand cup the side of his face, thumb skimming gently below his eye.

“You.” Lay said, enunciating his words clearly as he looked straight into Suho’s eyes with his own swirling brown ones, “Are cute. And funny. And talented. And very, very y.” Suho just shook his head timidly as he averted his gaze to his fumbling hands but Lay lifted his chin, forcing him to look back into his deep eyes. “Cute, funny, talented and y.” Suho felt his heart rate pick up, thrumming in his rib cage as Lay leant forward. The latter pressed his lips gently against Suho’s, so soft and gentle that it was a complete contrast to their first kiss, but just as wonderful as Suho felt himself melt into the taller boys hands, still affectionately at his cheeks. The kiss was short but sweet and left them both smiling as they pulled apart.

“Well, you’re like, really really really y and cool and handsome.” Suho said as he gnawed gently on his lower lip.

“I know.” Lay said with a wink and a light, throaty chuckle as he picked himself up off the floor. He offered a hand to Suho who took it gladly with a shy smile. “I should probably get going now.” He said it with a sigh which Suho wanted to interpret as disappointment but really he knew that he shouldn’t jump to conclusions.

“Oh, okay. I’ll show you out then.” Suho said, slightly dejected as he trudged down the stairs to the door. Lay clattered behind him as he slipped on his shoes shuffled up behind him. Suho opened the front door, his teeth chattering slightly at the cold wind that whipped around his now coatless body. “Are you sure you’ll be warm enough? Do you want a coat or something?” Lay just shook his head with a smile.

“Nah, I’ll be fine. Don’t wait in the door or you’ll get cold, go back in.” Lay said as he stepped over the threshold. Just as he was about to walk down the path Suho reached out and grabbed his slender wrist impulsively. Lay looked around with a raised eyebrow as wind whipped his hair around his pale face. Before he could talk himself out of it Suho pulled Lay towards him and planted a kiss on his lips, hugging their bodies close for a moment before pushing the taller down the path and hurriedly shutting the door. He fell back against the cold, hard wood and pressed a hand to his chest to feel his racing heart. What a day he thought as a smile broke out across his face, what a ing fantastic day. He practically skipped towards the kitchen, his grin threatening to split his face in two. Stood in the middle of his pristine kitchen Suho tapped his finger thoughtfully on his lower lip, pizza or chilli? Which one did he want? His parents clearly weren’t coming home that night, his dad was away at a conference for the weekend and his mum had told him in the morning that she wasn’t sure if she would have a night shift or not and it seemed that she did. He didn’t mind though, he quite liked the freedom it afforded him.

Just as he was thinking that his phone began to ring. He drew it out of his pocket and seeing that it was indeed his mum, slid the screen to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Hey Suho-ah. I have a night shift tonight so I’ll be back at around seven am tomorrow. Will you be okay? Is there enough food in the house or do you need to order in?” She asked, her kind voice sweet and soothing.

“It’s fine, there’s plenty here mum.” Suho replied.

“Okay good. I have to dash, my break is almost over. Be safe, I love you.”

“I love you too mum, bye.” Suho said the words sincerely into the phone before hanging up with a smile. His mind wandered back to his indecisive food dilemma as three dull knocks echoed through the hall from the front door. Suho tilted his head slightly in confusion, who could that be? Putting aside his food choices he walked back to the door, cracking it open just a few inches in order to avoid the harshly blowing wind. Stood on the matted doorstep was a tousled and windswept Lay, his hair by that point comparable to a birds nest gone wrong, his cheeks bright against his pale skin, like cream and roses and his eyes bright as ever. His jumper whipped loudly against his body as the wind continued to roar deafeningly. Suho was shocked to say the least, he hadn’t expected to see Lay back on his doorstep.

“I’m out of gas.” Lay said, scratching his head out of embarrassment.

“Huh?” Suho said, gormless expression and clouded mind.

“My bike. I’m out of gas.” Lay clarified. “I can’t get home.”

“Oh.” Suho said stupidly before it finally managed to click. “Oh right. Yeah, umm, come in then.” Lay smiled as he walked through the door, rubbing his shoes on the matt before slipping them off once more.

“If I could just use your laptop to check bus times or something…” Lay began.

“No.” Suho cut him off, cheeks going red. “What I mean is, you can stay here.” He said shyly.

“Really?” Lay asked, a light smile playing at the edges of his sculpted, pink mouth.  

“Yeah, really.” Kyungsoo said as he walked back toward the kitchen, beckoning for Lay to follow him. “My mum will be home at seven tomorrow and we have spare petrol in the back of the car.” Lay nodded thankfully at this. “Now I was just about to make dinner but I don’t know which to make, do you want kimchi pizza or chilli?” Suho asked as Lay sat himself down in one of the oak chairs around his large kitchen table.

“Which one’s quicker?” Lay asked with a dazzling smile that made Suho’s inside’s melt and flow into his feet in a puddle of goo. Yep, that was the effect of that gorgeous, pink lipped, white toothed smile.

“The chilli is quicker.” Suho said with a slight chuckle at the childish question.

“Chilli it is!” Lay exclaimed excitedly. “I am awful at cooking but umm, do you need any help?”

“Nah, it’s okay, you just wait patiently okay?” Suho said with a smile, it was nice that Lay had offered even if the idea of someone who was bad with food getting near his kitchen utensils was a little frightening. Suho began humming quietly as he chopped onions, peppers, chillies, garlic and carrots before throwing them into a pan of sizzling oil. He set to work mixing and grinding his desired spices and preparing the beef, he could feel Lay’s eyes following him as he worked but instead of making him nervous it actually had the counter effect of calming him as he fried. Adding a generous amount of beef stock and his spices he placed a lid over the bubbling concoction to let it simmer. Twenty minutes later he had prepared a bowl of steaming rice and a simple lettuce, avocado and tomato salad to accompany the chilli. He brought all of the dishes to the table along with a jug of water, setting shining white plates and cutlery before Lay and his own chair.

He sat down with a sigh as Lay just gawped open mouthed at all of the fresh, home cooked food before him. Suho ladled the fluffy rice onto both of their plates, followed by a large lathering of chilli and a sprinkling of salad on the side.

“Sorry that it won’t be anything special but enjoy.” Suho said with a smile.

“No, I am sure It’ll be delicious.” Lay said with a smile, “You did all of this in half an hour, that’s just…wow…” Nothing more came out of Lay’s mouth as he proceeded to stuff his pretty face faster than Suho would have thought possible without choking. He kept his eyes on the younger to watch out for signs of his throat being blocked as he ate his own food slowly. After less than five minutes Lay was scrapping his plate clean, Suho had barely had a quarter of his own. Suho just looked at him with wide eyes, his jaw going slack, luckily he had swallowed his mouthful.

“Err, do you want some more?” He asked with a raised eyebrow. Lay blushed slightly but nodded enthusiastically. Suho felt his heart swell, that was the first time he had seen Lay blush, not from the cold, not from the heat, but actually blush and it was the most endearing thing he had ever seen. Suho piled up another mountainous portion of food, even larger than the first, on Lay’s plate. He smiled gratefully as he said a muffled , “Thank you Hyung.” Through the mouthful of food that was already past his lips.

“No problem, I’m glad you like it.” Suho chuckled as he continued to work his way through his first portion. Approximately fifteen minutes later Lay had finished his second portion and the half of Suho’s first which he wasn’t able to finish. Suho scrapped the left over chilli into a pot to refrigerate and put the salad straight into the fridge before throwing out the little rice that was left.

He was about to plunge his hands into the hot, bubbly water in the sink to wash up when something collided with his side and sent him stumbling a few paces to the side. He looked up with wide eyes to realise that Lay had hip bumped him out of the way.

“I may not be able to cook, but I can wash up.” Lay said with a wink as he began to scrub the dirty dishes and pans.  Suho smiled and grabbed a tea towel to start drying and putting away.

“So, I am interested to know. Why do you even have a pink and purple flowery helmet?” Suho asked with a grin.

“Aha, it’s nothing weird, it’s for my little sister.” Lay said as he blew a few bubbles from his fingers with an almost dazed smile.

“You have a sister? What’s she called?” Suho asked.

“She’s called Hyemi, she just turned ten a couple of weeks ago.” The way Lay’s face seemed to light up as he said this made Suho’s heart warm, it was clear by the way that his smile seemed natural and lowing and his eyes crinkled at the edges that he really loved this sister.

“Tell me about her.”

“I don’t want to bore you with that.” Lay said with a chuckle before passing over another plate.

“No, I want to know. You said we should get to know each other, so let me know you.” Suho persisted. Lay raised an eyebrow at how Suho had used his own words against him but just shook his head with a small smile as he began to talk. They chatted for ages, Lay talked about his sister and his childhood as Suho spoke about his parents and his friends. They spent hours sat at the kitchen table, hot mugs of hot chocolate being refreshed ever half an hour or so as the talked and talked.  Glancing at his watch Suho noticed that it was getting quite late.

“Shall we go upstairs? We can watch a film or something if you want?” Suho said as he got up from the table, not bothering to clean their mugs as he let them fall through the now luke warm, barely frothy washing up water.

“Yeah okay.” Lay said as he hoisted himself up and strode out of the kitchen and up to Suho’s room as though he owned the place. Suho couldn’t really complain as he got a wonderful view by following the younger up the stairs. “I know what you’re thinking.” Lay said jokily as he reached Suho’s bedroom door.

“Huh?” Suho asked in confusion. Lay just leaned in close to Suho’s ear and breathed a light whisper of, “You were looking at my .”

 

A/N: Sorry it took me so long! I have no excuses at all so please forgive me ^w^