Jealousy

The competition

 

“So shall we order then?” Baekhyun said, trying to divert the attention from himself.

“Baek…” Chanyeol started, voice quiet and uncertain. Sunny seemed to notice the confusion and hesitance in Chanyeol’s voice and intervened with a smile.

“Oh Chanyeol don’t worry. There’s no need to see me as competition or anything, Baek here is like my little brother now. Hell we haven’t seen each other in that way since…” She tapped a well-manicured finger on her chin as she thought, “That night 18 months ago. So please don’t think badly of me Chanyeol.” She bowed at him with a smile before Turning to Suho and starting to move around the table taking orders. Baekhyun nervously twiddled his fingers as stared into his lap. After a few minutes he glanced up at Chanyeol to see the younger still sat with a heavy frown embedded into his forehead. The light chatter in the room seemed to fade away as Baekhyun focused on his boyfriend’s face. He really didn’t want him to get the wrong idea and be mad at him over this.

Baekhyun turned to Kyungsoo who was sat on his other side and tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention. Kyungsoo turned to him with a guilty expression, head hung slightly to the ground. “Sorry Hyung, was I not supposed to say?” Kyungsoo asked in a small voice. Baekhyun sighed and rubbed his shoulder reassuringly.

“No, it’s fine Kyung, I’m going out for a second, you know what we want right? Can you settle our order.” He asked his best friend. Kyungsoo nodded with a smile and shooed him away with his hands in the direction of the door. Baekhyun slid himself off of his chair, balancing his weight on one leg as he pushed one of his arms into the metal tubing that would support him. He decided that one crutch would be enough seeing as he wasn’t going to be going very far. He cupped Chanyeol’s cheek in his palm, lifting the boy’s face so that he was looking at him.

“Channie, can I talk to you for a minute.” Chanyeol just stared blankly back at him as he rubbed his thumb lovingly over the taller’s cheek bone. “…In private.” Baekhyun said, trying to get Chanyeol to follow him. Chanyeol sighed heavily, his chest heaving as he looked back to the ground but he did begin to shuffle out from the table. Baekhyun held out his hand, palm up, for Chanyeol to take but the older just walked past him and out of the door. Baekhyun couldn’t deny it, that hurt, a lot. He felt the rejection slice through his heart like a warm knife through butter, aching deep within his chest. He felt his eyes sting with moisture but bit back his tears as he slowly limped across the room after his boyfriend. The door was heavy and his balance was off so he struggled to push open the thick mahogany door. He was unable to brace his legs on the ground as he would normally to open the door with ease as his ankle just couldn’t take the strain. After a few more seconds he managed to puff his way through the doorway and out into the main bustling room of the restaurant, the bubbly, atmospheric lighting doing little to lift his worry.

His eyes scanned around the dim room, searching for the bright hair of his Chanyeol. After a moment of searching he spotted a tall, lean figure leaning against the wall beside the main entrance. Baekhyun would recognise him anywhere and began to shuffle his way over to the younger, taking a while to twist and turn between the jam packed tables. When he reached Chanyeol the younger slipped out of the door. Baekhyun followed him out, feeling the col, crisp wind smack him in the face as he left the warmth of the restaurant. Chanyeol was propped up against the brick wall a few feet away and seemed to have finally stopped slipping away from the older at the last minute. Baekhyun felt a pang in his heart at Chanyeol’s cold expression and took a deep breath to calm his erratic heart.

“Yeollie, are you mad at me?” He asked quietly, his voice barely audible over the roaring wind that seemed to flow through the street around them. The insecurity he felt was evident in his quivering voice and he hated that it was so obvious what he was feeling. He wanted to be able to be tough and stand-off ish like Chanyeol was but that just wasn’t who he was, nor who he would ever be. Chanyeol didn’t answer Baekhyun’s question but asked another of his own.

“Why didn’t you tell me Baek?” He growled, flinging his hands up in exasperation.

“I just…It never came up.” Baekhyun whispered.

“Well then you should have brought it up!” Chanyeol fumed. “I should know about things like this, I’m your boyfriend.”

“Why are you making such a big deal out of this? It was ages ago and I know that you’ve had girlfriends before.” Baekhyun said, getting a little angry himself at Chanyeol’s reaction to this new information.

“Yeah but you knew about them! I didn’t even know that you liked girls as well, don’t you think that that’s important for me to know?” Chanyeol yelled.

“I don’t like girls as well! I’m not bi, I told you before that I’m gay.” Baekhyun tried to reason.

“Then why did you go out with a girl, and what did she mean by the last time we saw each other like that was that night? How far did you go with her? Do you still like her?” Chanyeol spewed questions in a stream of words, not letting Baekhyun get a word in edgeways.

“No I don’t! I love her as a sister…”Baekhyun started to explain.

“Love? Did you just say that you ing love her?” Chanyeol practically spat as he interrupted Baekhyun. Baekhyun could feel himself heating up with rage, why wouldn’t he just listen to him?

“Will you let me finish!” Baekhyun yelled, trying to get through to Chanyeol. Chanyeol huffed but nodded his consent.

“Look, We dated for about 6 months, I thought I loved her but one night we were kissing and…”

“Eugh, I don’t think I want to hear this.” Chanyeol said, looking disgusted.

“Just listen. We were kissing and she goes to make a move on my when suddenly I can’t help it and I am giggle like crazy.  I tried to kiss her again but it just felt funny. That was when I realised that it was because I just wasn’t attracted to her, or any girl for that matter, and what I thought was romantic love was really just platonic love. Luckily she is really the loveliest person and understood when I told her that I thought I was gay and now she really is just like my sister. I guess I didn’t tell you because I honestly don’t see her as an ex but as my noona.”

Throughout his mini speech Chanyeol’s angry expression seemed to melt off of his face and Baekhyun was once again looking at his loving boyfriend. Chanyeol sighed. “I’m sorry Baek, I just got jealous, I don’t know why I was so angry.” He frowned at himself and looked up AT Baekhyun with the most adorable puppy dog eyes. “Will you come here to me?” He asked. Baekhyun smiled and hobbled the few feet to his boyfriend, falling into his warm arms.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, I love you, only you.” He looked up into Chanyeol’s eyes with a cheeky grin and playful eyes, “You are my namja.” Chanyeol chuckled and leaned his head down to press his soft, damp lips to Baekhyun’s who greedily accepted the kiss. A few minutes later they broke apart with a smile and walked back into the restaurant, this time walking hand in hand.

A/N: Ahh really sorry it's so short!