Awoken

The competition

 

Baekhyun glanced down at his wrist, checking the time. He had about an hour to do what he planned before he had to be at school. As he pushed open the glass doors topping the concrete steps he wondered if he should really be there. But he pushed on. He smiled gently at the old woman behind the large desk from the day before, bowing his head in respect, before making his way up the stairs to the ward. He stopped just outside the door, again wondering if he was pushing some sort of boundaries by visiting. He pushed the thought out of his mind and gripped onto the flowers in his hands tighter. He would do this for Chanyeol, even if it wasn’t expected of him, he would still do it.

He pushed open the door and stepped inside, his heart ached at the sight of the woman lying before him. Although he did not know her personally, she resembled Chanyeol so much that it hurt Baekhyun to see her. Never the less he walked forward, placing the flowers in a jug of water beside her bed. He moved the flowers around so that all of the bright, happy colours could be seen by the woman, were she to wake up. He let himself fall into the solid and uncomfortable hospital chair beside the bed leaned his elbows on his knees, cradling his chin in his hands. He had read that the best thing to do for someone in a coma was to talk to them, so that was exactly what he did. He talked about the dismal weather the day before, about the recent news that she had missed, about the competition in the school. This last topic lead him to talk to her about the thing he hoped would help her most, he told her about her son. He spent twenty solid minutes telling her funny anecdotes of the two of them, or of how Chanyeol had styled his hair differently again, he chatted on without thought. At some point, he didn’t know when exactly, he had reached out and taken her hand in his, smoothing the skin in comforting circles with his thumb as he spoke.

“…He was really nice about the song I wrote. I think he was just being nice, but that is another great quality about your son, he is so…respectful and kind. I am sure you know that, I can only imagine that you are just as wonderful having raised such an outstanding child. Would you like to hear it?” Baekhyun didn’t expect a reply and so didn’t wait for one, “It’s called angel and…don’t tell Chanyeol I said this but…I wrote it about him.” Baekhyun sighed and squeezed her hand, a light, sad smile playing across his mouth as he began to sing. His voice was smooth and lilting, clear as ice yet warm as fire. As he sang he felt calm, at peace, he also felt strong emotions for a woman who had never spoken to him wash over him. Even though she may have not heard, she had listened.

As he finished his song a tear glistened in his eye as he lifted her hand to his face with both of his own. “Please come back,” He whispered into their hands, “Yeollie needs you and…and I need him to be happy.” As he said the last few words the tear streaked down his face. He kissed the back of her hand before placing it back lightly on the bed and wiping at his cheek. He glanced at his watch and sighed again, if he didn’t leave now he would be late. He got up from the chair and walked to the door, glancing back at the broken woman one more time before he headed off for school.

 

 

 

Chanyeol walked up to his mother’s room, some of the weight he had on his shoulders lessened from Baekhyun’s help the day before. Thinking about the shorter guy brought a slight warmth to his heart that hadn’t been there before as his heart rate quickened the tiniest amount. He ignored these strange reactions and put them down to worry over his mother’s health. As he approached the wooden door he noticed that it was open by about a foot and that he could hear voices coming from the room. As he got nearer he had to correct himself, he was not hearing voices but one voice. One voice he knew. As he reached the door he silently looked in through the gap between the wood and the frame. What he saw surprised him. He saw Baekhyun sat beside his mother, holding her hand and chatting away as if they had known each other for years. He was so surprised to find him there that he was unable to concentrate on what the boy was saying. He stood in shock for a moment before his attention was caught as he heard his own name.

“…Chanyeol I said this but…I wrote it about him.” Chanyeol felt his eyebrows push together as he wondered what Baekhyun had written about him. What was he talking about? His questions were answered seconds later as Baekhyun started singing. He was singing angel. Tears streaked down his cheeks as he listened, hearing beyond the lyrics to what was really being conveyed. By the time Baekhyun had sung the last, beautiful note, Chanyeol’s cheeks were damp and tear stained as the tall boy was forced to hold in a slight sob at his realisation. He hadn’t had time to process the information he had just heard when Baekhyun did something even more shocking. He watched as the boy clasped hold of his mother’s hand, a single tear falling down his cheek as he whispered, “Please come back. Yeollie needs you and…and I need him to be happy.”

As he heard those words he felt his heart burst with the heat of a thousand suns as warmth spread through his entire body. His heart began to beat erratically, thudding against his ribcage. His eyes widened in shock as he saw Baekhyun get up to leave. Without wilfully telling them to do so his feet began stepping backwards, taking him away down the hall. He rounded the far corner out of sight and fell against the wall, breathing hard, tears streaming from his eyes. The last line of the song was stuck in his head, spinning around his mind as he stood there; You are my eternity Eternally Love.

After he had stood there long enough that he was sure that Baekhyun would be gone, and once he had calmed down, he made his way back to the room. He sat down in the chair that had moments before been occupied by Baekhyun and sighed, rubbing at his eyes. In a matter of seconds all thoughts of Baekhyun were swept from his mind as he noticed a slight flicker of his mother’s eyelids. He grabbed at her hand, unsure if what he had seen was real or not. “Oma?” He called desperately, “Oma, can you hear me? Oma?” After a slight hesitation he felt a weak squeeze on his hand. Tears of happiness fell uncontrollably from his eyes as he pressed the emergency button by the bed and called out for a doctor. He squeezed her hand back and cried even harder when her eyes flickered open.

“I heard…such beautiful singing Yeollie…so beautiful.” She rasped, a smile spreading across her haggard and yet still stunning face. She frowned slightly, “Why are you crying Yeollie? You know Oma doesn’t like it when you cry.” She asked, barely above a whisper.

“I thought I had lost you, I thought you had left me…” Chanyeol sobbed, resting his head on her bed. With all of her energy she lifted her hand and slowly his fluffy hair.

“I will never leave you Yeollie. Never.” She promised.

 

 

 

As the bell signalling the end of first lesson went, Baekhyun strolled casually from his classroom in search of Kyungsoo and Suho. Unlike the other two, who were freaking out a little with nerves about their performances, Baekhyun felt confident that he and Chanyeol could do a good job. With a laugh, Baekhyun realised that half of what looked like nerves in the two boys was actually just them fanboying about their partners. As Baekhyun walked up to them it seemed like they were having an animated discussion about their partners, though neither really needed the participation of the other, rather a person to rant at. Therefore the two were merely spewing their feelings at each other simultaneously. Baekhyun found himself laughing again as he arrived at the locker the two boys were stood at. Suho being the one facing him noticed him first and started to aim his feelings at Baekhyun as well.

“Oh hyunnie, you should have heard it! In our song are the lyrics forsake these skies and when Sehun says it he says, forthake thethe thkieth! It is so cute!” Baekhyun giggled and patted his friend on the shoulder.

“Whatever keeps your mind off of his tongue.”

“Oh my gosh, don’t get me started on his tongue….” It was clear that Baekhyun had gotten him started on his tongue as the older boy began another love sick rant. Baekhyun turned to Kyungsoo, intending to roll his eyes playfully at him. As he looked at him he noticed his expression had soured and that he was purposefully avoiding his gaze.

“Kyungsoo-ah, what’s wrong?” Asked Baekhyun, cutting Suho off. Kyungsoo merely continued to ignore him with a slight huff. He turned to Suho, “Do you know what it is?” He asked his other friend, worried more because usually Kyungsoo was happy and playful. The only time he would act this way was when something was really wrong. Baekhyun saw a flicker of guilt cross his friends face but it was quickly covered with a look of confusion.

“Sorry Baekhyun-ah, I don’t know.” Baekhyun felt himself frown at the obvious dishonesty but had no time to inquire more as the bell for second period rang out then. Baekhyun shook his head lightly and said goodbye and good luck before heading off for his practice room. They had been told that they would have second and third periods off to practice before the performances started fourth period.

He sat in his usual place on the piano stool and began to practice as he waited for Chanyeol. He practiced alone for over an hour. Waiting. Ten minutes before the end of third lesson a knock sounded on the door. Baekhyun rushed to open it, hoping to see the lanky figure and fluffy hair of Chanyeol. That was not who appeared behind the door. Instead stood a small girl, clearly a few years younger than Baekhyun, with large black eyes and elbow length ebony hair. She smiled and handed over a slip of paper, “There is the order you will be performing in and the times.” Baekhyun nodded as he took it and the girl skipped off down the corridor to the next room. Looking down at the paper he noted that once again he would be performing last. This time he was glad for this, as he hoped that it would allow Chanyeol time to get there.

Baekhyun sighed as he sat back down. He had not seen Chanyeol all day and was sure that he knew where he was, at the hospital. His heart wrenched at the thought that perhaps something bad had happened to his mum. Baekhyun couldn’t bring himself to be angry that Chanyeol wasn’t there yet. He couldn’t even be angry at the idea that he may not arrive at all. But he did focus on one thought…he had promised. He knew Chanyeol was a man of his word. In that moment, Baekhyun wished that he hadn’t promised, because whatever happened, he didn’t want to be the reason that Chanyeol had to leave his mother in her time of need. He hoped beyond hope that if she needed her son, he would stay, that he would see how little that promise meant, in these circumstances.