Harmony

The competition

 

Baekhyun woke the next morning to find himself both extremely excited and nervous at the same time. His stomach was going crazy with fluttering butterflies and his mouth was as dry as sandpaper, and yet he couldn't wait to see the cause of his anxiety. He tried to roll out from underneath his covers, but as his foot was tangled in his duvet he lost his balance and found himself falling to the floor. He fell first onto the wooden floor, groaning at what was sure to become a bruise later. Getting up from the hard floor, rubbing his sore backside, he strolled into his bathroom and proceeded to take a shower. 

Clean and dry, he carefully selected an outfit. He wanted something that was stylish and at the same time didn't seem as though he was trying to hard. Even though he put so much careful thought into the garments that he was adorning he found that he ended up wearing his usual clothes anyway; light blue super skinny jeans, a black and white checker shirt, nearly fully ed with a white v-neck underneath and stylish black lace-ups. It took him ages to decide, but once he had he was pleased with the outcome. Going back to the bathroom he then added a slick of eyeliner, not enough to be noticeable but enough to define his eyes. He also styled his hair, sighing with his hands in his hair as he realised how feminine his morning routine was. He then shrugged it off, knowing that it was worth it for how good he could make himself look, not that he needed to do anything to look good.

After finishing up his hair he left the bathroom and grabbed his bag from his bed making his way down the stairs. He was just walking through the kitchen door, headed for the toaster, when he glanced up at the opposite wall at the clock. It was 7 55 am. He normally took ten minutes to walk to school. "!" he breathed, stopping in the middle of putting his bag on the kitchen table, and slinging it over his shoulder. He slid the keys off of the kitchen counter and backed out of the door, hurriedly slamming and locking it behind him. He set off at a run down his street, his the pressure of his jerky footfalls juddering up his legs as he ran and his heart pounding double time as he stretched himself to a sprint. He swung through the school gates after 4 minutes of heavy running, his breaths coming short and ragged. He paused at the main door, leaning on the wooden frame whilst he attempted to catch his breath and to calm his racing heart. He was good at running so after about thirty seconds of resting himself he had managed to get his bodily functions back to normal. Pushing away from the door frame he started towards the practice room that he and Chanyeol had shared the day before. 

As he rounded the corner to the corridor that the practice room branched off from, he was lazily glancing around, not really focusing on anything, until his gaze fell upon the orange-brown hair and charcoal-caramel eyes of Chanyeol. Baekhyun's breathing hitched and his heart rate increased, but only a little. He found that as he had just been running his body was still recovering and so was unable to react as it usually would. This new experience gave him confidence as he waved at Chanyeol and headed towards him, a light smile playing across his mouth. He couldn't help but notice that Chanyeol's clothes were also looking very nice today, he was wearing pitch black skinny jeans that closely hugged his legs and a white t-shirt, simple yet very effective. That was, if his intention was to make everyone around him swoon and be able to appreciate his perfect figure. If so then yes, Baekhyun thought, it was extremely effective. 

Chanyeol, also walking toward Baekhyun, reached the door first and held it open for him. Baekhyun grinned at him as he passed, saying, "Let's do this." with an enthusiastic tone. Baekhyun immediately went to sit at the piano and he could see out of the corner of his eye that Chanyeol had once again chosen to occupy the chair that had the guitar resting against the leg. Also much like before, Chanyeol lifted the guitar and settled it in his lap. Baekhyun caught himself wishing that he was the guitar and turned toward the piano to avoid Chanyeol seeing his blush. He shook his head to shake away his thoughts. He had dropped his bag down at his feet and so leaned over to pull his notebook from it, relieved that he had packed it last night as he wouldn't have had time in the morning's rush. 

"Could I hear that song you sang yesterday again?" Chanyeol’s deep, smooth voice came from behind Baekhyun. Turning to the right page Baekhyun spun on the piano stool and handed the notebook to the lanky boy, "Sure, here, I wrote it down yesterday if you want to read while I play." Chanyeol took the book and stared intently at the writing and notes. "Then after I've played it once we can try it together if you want?" Chanyeol looked up with a broad smile, "Sure, sounds like a plan." Baekhyun saw an expression of realisation cross his face as he tried to hand the notebook back, "Won't you need this to play it?"  Baekhyun laughed and pushed it back towards him, "Of course not, I have it memorised." Chanyeol looked both confused and impressed but seemed to accept it. Baekhyun turned back towards the piano and saw Chanyeol looking back at the notebook in his peripheral vision. 

 

Baekhyun rested his fingers on the keys and took a deep breath before beginning to sing, with such an angelic voice that it would have been difficult for Chanyeol to concentrate in the lyrics;

This moment feels like I was born as a child who knew nothing

I closed my eyes again in case it would be a dream

You were standing in front of my desperate self and praying

Just once, I want to walk side by side with you

 

Taken by the soft wind to your world

You asked me brightly where I came from to your side

And I told you that It was a secret

Wherever we walk together

Will be paradise

 

You are an eye-blinding entity compared to Michael

Who would remember you, I will not forgive it

Like the beginning when stepping into Eden

Believing you every day from the bottom of my heart

 

I always want to protect you

So that even the small things won’t tire you out, I’m eternally in love

 

As your guardian, I will block the stiff wind

Even though people turn their backs to you

If I could become the person

Who can wipe your tears on a tiring day

It will be paradise

 

I, who has fallen in love with no other place to

Go back, my wings have been taken away (oh no)

Even though I lost my everlasting life, the reason to my happiness

You are my eternity Eternally Love

As he had sung, he had thought of Chanyeol and emotion could be heard thick in his voice, adding to the beauty, character and strength of it. By the time he had finished, Chanyeol's mouth was once again agape. "That was incredible. Yesterday, how did you think of it so quickly? How is that possible?" Chanyeol queried, his voice clearly portraying his awe and reverence of Baekhyun's skill. Baekhyun blushed again, feeling the heat spreading across his cheeks. "I don't know, I just..." Baekhyun tried to think about how he could explain it but came up with nothing. Well he had no way of explaining it without telling Chanyeol that the song was based around him. He lamely finished with, "...I just do." Chanyeol chucked a y laugh, "Well it's a good thing for the both of us that you, 'just do'." he said, quoting Baekhyun. "Shall we try it together?" Baekhyun nodded and turned back to the piano, counting to four before playing the intro. Baekhyun was surprised when he heard the light, lilting sound if the guitar behind him, playing in perfect harmony with the piano. Baekhyun faltered slightly, looking behind him. Chanyeol smiled and nodded at him to continue, Baekhyun managed to get back into the rhythm of the intro easily. 

After four bars of introduction Baekhyun began singing. Chanyeol's voice accompanied his in the most perfect harmony; it was a voice of honey, deep and silky, drawing you in. Chanyeol would sing along with Baekhyun and then let Baekhyun take over on the powerful lines, filling in some other areas with expressive riffs. After the third verse there was originally a short instrumental, however Chanyeol's low voice filled the room with soft a soft and gentle rap; 

An eternity without love is just that, an eternity.

An eternity of nothing, no feelings, not even pain.

For you, I will let them take my eternity, take my life,

For you are my eternity, you are my life. 

Once they had played the last chord and strummed the last note, they sat in a gentle quiet, the innocent hum and tweet of birds outside calming them both. Baekhyun was the first to talk, turning to face Chanyeol, "How did you...? I mean when did you...? That was, you were....wow." Chanyeol looked up into Baekhyun's eyes and smiled softly.

"You too." he grinned, his voice melting Baekhyun's heart, as though he were butter sliding down warm toast. Butterflies flipped around in his stomach, not from nerves but from content happiness. "I guess we've basically done then. We should meet up after school as well to go over it again and smooth it out but I like it." Chanyeol stood up and smoothed out the creases that the guitar had made in his t-shirt. He checked his watch and looked back over at Baekhyun having set down the guitar. "Hey it's only 8 15, we have at least half an hour until we have to be back here. I didn't have time for breakfast so do you want to go get some?" 

Baekhyun was startled at the sudden offer and even though it was what he had dreamed of for ages he automatically started to refuse, "No, I am not hungry...." he was cut off by a loud gurgle, roaring from his stomach. Chanyeol fell about laughing and clapping his hands manically. After a few moments his laughter had calmed to a chuckle.

"Okay, you need food, you're coming." without another word Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun’s wrist and pulled him from the room. At the sudden contact of Chanyeol's hand around his wrist Warmth spread from the area as his heart began to pound and his breathing became jagged. Oh no, thought Baekhyun not again. It had all been going so well, suddenly a thought popped into his head. What was one of the only similarities between all of the times he had started hyperventilating, apart from Chanyeol? The answer was now clear to Baekhyun as the heat in his wrist spread up his arm and across his chest. Skinship.