Surprise

The competition

 

They arrived at the gates at the time Baekhyun would usually get to school. That meant that he would have some time to find Suho and Kyungsoo before they had to go to the hall to hear their results. Baekhyun felt like he was on a cloud, a warm fuzzy feeling was still going through him at Chanyeol’s hold on him. He sighed as the approached the blue, metal gates that signified the entrance to the school grounds, assuming that Chanyeol would let go of him now that people were around. He was wrong. If anything Baekhyun felt Chanyeol’s grip tighten on him, pulling him closer into his side. Baekhyun felt a blush spread across his cheeks, like blooming roses in spring as he saw people looking at the tw of them. Chanyeol didn’t seem to notice the staring eyes as he was being his usual bounding self, his wide grin stretched across his face.

“Hyunnie, do you reckon we got through?” Chanyeol asked, looking down at Baekhyun with wide eyes and a smile. “We must have, who can say no to your voice? No one, that’s who.” He continued before Baekhyun had been able to answer.

“You’re better.” He mumbled, trying to hide his flaming cheeks. Having disposed of their coffee cups on entering the school grounds Chanyeol was able to use his free hand to pull Baekhyun’s chin up.

“What did I tell you about Lying Baek?” Chanyeol scolded, flicking him gently on the nose.

“Yeollie, I wasn’t lying, and you really can’t be an Umma, can you?” He reached up and pinched one of chanyeol’s cheeks between his forefinger and his thumb. “You’re too cute for that.” Chanyeol’s eyes widened like a puppy and his mouth turned down in an adorable pout. Baekhyun giggled and ruffled his hair, which was very difficult due to the height difference, and dropped his arm. He was forced to let his arm fall to his side so abruptly because the stretch had pulled painfully at his side. He clenched his teeth and sqeezed his eyes tightly shut, trying to push away the pain. He let out the breath that he had been unconsciously holding and up at Chanyeol, he had felt the taller’s hand tighten around his waist. As he looked up Chanyeol’s face held an expression utter worry and confusion. Eyes wide and glassy, lips slightly parted and turned down at the edges, eyebrows pulled up and together at the centre.

“What is it Baek? Is it your waist?” he asked, voice thick with concern. Baekhyun smiled up at him as he replied, “It was just a twinge, it’s fine now Yeollie.” Chanyeol still looked unsure but nodded anyway.

They were walking through the a corridor in the science department. Everywhere in science block was bright, from the white walls to the luminescent lighting, everything had an extremely clinical feel to it. Baekhyun loved science but he had never been a fan of the area, it was too much like a hospital. He shivered slightly and Chanyeol rubbed his arm, thinking that he was cold. He smiled and looked down, letting his hair flop over his eyes. Looking up between strands of hair he could see that other people in the corridor were looking at them. Strangely though, they weren’t looking at them with judging sneers, or yelling and wolf whisteling. No, they were looking with concern, he even heard someone whisper, “What happened to Baekhyun?” He sighed, he realised that the way that Chanyeol was holding him up and he was walking with a slight limp told people that he was injured, not that they were….well what were they? That they were something. Then relief washed over him, no one knew, that was good, it meant that they would’t be a point of gossip. Not yet at least.

After a few minutes they rounded the corner to the corridor that held Baekhyun’s locker. Kyungsoo and Suho were already there, facing each other and talking animatedly about something. They were so engrossed in their conversation that they didn’t notice Baekhyun and Chanyeol walking towards them. Well, one of them was walking, the other was shuffling. Baekhyun saw Kai walk around the corner at the other end of the corridor. Chanyeol and Baekhyun reached Kyungsoo and Suho at the same time as Kai.

“Baek, I couldn’t find your jumper.” Said Kyungsoo and Kai at the exact same time before all three boys before him all suddenly seemed to have a problem with keeping their jaws up.

“I…er…wha….?” Kyungsoo stammered.

Kyungsoo’s saucer like eyes seemed to, if possible become even larger and his mouth drooped open as he took in the sight of Chanyeol holding Baekhyun. Suho, whose mouth was also hanging agape couldn’t seem to stop blinking. His eyes were fluttering furiously as if trying to understand what he was seeing. Kai however seemed to recover his shock after a few seconds and his mouth turned up in a grin as he bit his lower lip and wiggled his eyebrows and Baekhyun.

Baekhyun was holding his laughter in well at the ludicrous sight of his befuddled friends but the image of Kai’s wiggling eyebrows were too much and he couldn’t stop the laughter that bubbled out of him. The laugh turned into a breathy wheeze as he bent over and clutched at his side. He heard movement and seconds later Chanyeol was crouched before him, eyes wide and concerned. “Hyunnie?” Relief washed over Chanyeol’s features as he smiled and straightened up, reassuring him that it was okay. Baekhyun felt warmth rush through his entire body,  burning in his heart at the boy before him. Chanyeol replaced his arm around Baekhyun and held on tighter.

“Baek? Are you injured? What’s wrong?” Kyungsoo asked, flapping his hands helplessly around Baekhyun’s face. Baekhyun smiled at him and grabbed his restless hands to still them.

“It’s fine Kyun-ah. I just had a bit of an accident yesterday, it’ll heal quickly.” Kyungsoo opened his mouth as if to ask more questions but Baekhyun looked into his eyes, telling him with that look that he would tell him later. Kyungsoo seemed to understand and nodded before a grin spread from ear to ear.

“So…you two?” Kyungsoo asked, pointing between the two boys. Baekhyun just blushed and looked down, again hiding behind his hair. But he then felt his body move as the boy holding him moved, he looked up to see him nodding and smiling manically. Baekhyun felt his breath catch in his throat and his heart stutter.

“Us? Really?” He asked the tall boy as he looked up into his charcoal and caramel eyes. He saw Chanyeol’s expression drop and sadness and confusion overcome him.

“I-i just t-thought, after y-yesterday…b-but if you d-don’t want…” He stammered looking hurt as he looked at his toes.

“No!” He practically yelled causing Chanyeol to look up from his feet, “I do want it. I really do.” Chanyeol’s expression changed in an instant, his eyes glowed warmly as though a fire had been lit behind them as a gentle and loving smile pulled at his mouth. Baekhyun couldn’t help the same expression covering his own face. Chanyeol reached his other arm around him and pulled him into a hug, careful not to hurt his waist. Baekhyun had never felt so safe as Chanyeol surrounded him in his warm embracel. He could feel Chanyeol’s heartbeat where he rested his forehead on his chest, it was steady and strong, giving Baekhyun’s own heart strength. He took a deep breath, he was surrounded by the smell of cinnamon and caramel, the smell of Chanyeol, the smell of home. He sighed and pulled himself closer, only to be interrupted by a loud cough. Damn Kyungsoo. Baekhyun pulled away from Chanyeol who pouted adorably before allowing him to do so, he made sure that he kept his arm tight around Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo had one eyebrow raised and a teasing smirk on his face, smiliar to Kai’s expression whereas suho still looked dumbfounded. Kai and Kyungsoo would make such a cute couple if they just realised, thought Baekhyun in exasperation.

“So we knew about Baekie here but Channie, how long have you batted for the other team?”, “Prefered hockey sticks to basket ball nets?”, “Liked bananas more than melons?”, “Gone off of apple pie?”, “When did you start your period, are you two synced up?” Kyungsoo and Kai took it in turns to pose the same question, letting their creativity free. Baekhyun was chuckling and giggling, used to Kyungsoo’s ways, but when he looked up at Chanyeol he saw the boys cheeks were flaming red and he was staring at his toes.

“Ya! You didn’t find my jumper?” Baekhyun asked to try and distract the two trouble makers.

Both boys replied, “No, sorry Baek.” At the exact same time. Baekhyun opened his mouth in pretend surprise.

“Oh I didn’t realise, did I ask you both to get it? Sorry! Well you must have been looking together and you still didn’t find it.” He slumped his shoulders as if in defeat that he would never find the jumper that was actually slung across his desk chair. He watched closely for their reactions and was happy to see them glance at each other and then look away quickly blushing slightly. Before he could quite happily enquire about what had happned the bell rang out. All of them jumped and rushed towards the hall. Baekhyun and Chanyeol trailed behind the others having to move at a slower pace. Chanyeol leaned down to Baekhyun and asked, “What was that between Kai and Kyungsoo? I know that your jumper is in your room, I saw it…” It seemed that Chanyeol had also been focusing on their reactions. Baekhyun grinned and stretched up onto his toes to whisper into Chanyeol’s ear, “I’ll tell you later.” They made their way into the hall and Baekhyun suddenly felt nervous, what if they hadn’t gotten through. However Chanyeol’s warm arm tight around his waist was a reminder that even if they didn’t get through, it was already a great day.