Shoe laces

The competition

 

Light streamed in through the crack between the curtains. The early morning sunlight cast a yellowy, golden glow over everything in the room, catching on the mirror and enhancing the light. Baekhyun had been having a wonderful dream, its happiness seemed to have seeped into the weather. It had started off as a nightmare, but that had changed when his angel had arrived and saved him. If was honest, that in itself was a wonderful dream but it went on to get even better when Chanyeol had said that he liked him. Baekhyun’s stomach fluttered at the memory of his dream. He lay, encased in his plush duvet remembering his dream for a few minutes before he sighed and sat up. Today was the day he would find out if he and Chanyeol had gotten through, he couldn’t be late.

As he sat up a blinding pain streaked through his midriff, starting at his ribcage and winding around his waist. He gasped at the sudden and unexpected feeling and nearly crashed back down onto the bed. Flinging his arm out to catch himself his right palm was forced down on the mattress, a strangled cry was pulled from him as his hand burned. He sat for a minute, breathing heavily and trying to regain his composure. He took a deep breath and lifted himself up, moving slowly over to his mirror. The was a white bandange wrapped around his right hand, stained red at his palm. He furrowed his brow in confussion, he had had an injury like that in his dream, how had he gotten this one? He tugged at the edge of his t-shirt, it was strange that he was wearing one as he never wore t-shirts to bed. He lifted it up to reveal a patchwork of blue, purple and yellow, thickly covering his left side. He dropped his shirt, eyes wide as he realised that again this had all happened in his dream.

Out of the corner of his eye he caught sight of a piece of paper that had been wedged between the mirror and the frame around it. Hand slightly shaky he reached up to snatch the piece of paper from the mirror. Either way he reached would cause pain he realised, he could either use his injured right hand or he could reach with his left and pull at his side. He sighed and grapped it with his right hand, trying to avoid moving his palm. The white paper was folded twice and Baekhyun’s name was written on the front in large, almost childish handwriting. He unfolded the paper and read;

Hey Baek,

I locked up on the way out and put the key through the letter box, it should be on the mat so don’t worry if you can’t find it. Make sure to take pain killers in the morning and not to strain yourself, I don’t want you getting any more hurt Hyunnie. I guess I’ll see you at school then. From your Chanyeol x

P.s. I know that you’ll find this because “Your so vain, you probably think this song is about you, don’t you, don’t you!” ehe, know that song? You’re not vain Baek, but you must look in the mirror to look so handsome everyday! x

Baekhyun’s heart skipped a beat and a smile spread across his face as he read and re-read the note. He hadn’t been dreaming. Warmth spread through him as he again recalled the events of the previous night, this time as true happenings, not a dream. He couldn’t get the grin adorning his features to move, and he didn’t want it to. Baekhyun walked slowly to the bathroom, moving stiffly. He unravelled the bandage on his hand and shuddered slightly at the bloody mess. He then stripped of and stepped into the shower, letting the hot water calm his achin muscles and clean out his cut. He had to wash his hair with just one hand so as not to get any products in his right hand. He couldn’t help laughing at himself when he realised that he was stood with his shampoo bottle held between his knees, his conditioner bottle pinned to his body by his left arm while his right arm was raised as far from the stream of water as it could get. He was the epitomy of ridiculousness.

He stepped from the shower and dried himself, wrapping his towel around his waist. He re wrapped his hand had pulled some pain killers from the first aid box. He popped them in his mouth and swallowed them down with water from the tap. The drugs should start to take effect after about an hour but Baekhyun was already getting used to the pain. The searing pain in his side had become a dull ache and his hand, now tightly wrapped felt a lot better. However, this didn’t stop it from being extremely difficult to dress himself. He found that bending over was the most painful, so after having managed to get his boxers on he stood in the middle of his room staring at his skinny jeans. How was he going to do this? He dropped the jeans to the floor and slipped his feet in. He then took it in turns, standing on one leg and using the opposite foot to try and shimmy the tight denim up his legs. After about ten minutes he managed to get them high enough that he could reach them without bending too far and hoisted them up.

Carrying on dressing and making himself up in this slow and very unusual fashion Baekhyun found that it took far longer than usual. He had just finished styling his hair with one hand, which had proved to be even more of a nuisance than getting his Jeans on, when he looked at his watch. He had to leave in five minutes and he hadn’t eaten breakfast or made his coffee yet. He sighed as he slid his school bag off of his bed and onto his shoulders, making his way slowly down the stairs. He would just have to skip breakfast and eat more for lunch.

He had just made it to the bottom of the stairs when he heard a loud, clear knock on the door, three taps. He furrowed his brow, who could that be? He shrugged lightly as he trudged toward the door. Maybe it was Kyungsoo. He lit up at this idea, hoping that if Kyungsoo wanted to see him as soon as possible that maybe something had happened between him and Kai, he really hoped it had. He was giggling lighly to himself as he opened the door, thinking about his cunning plan to get Kai and Kyungsoo together. The person stood behind the door however, was not Kyungsoo.

He was tall and lean, long legs sheathed in black skinny jeans, a thick black hoodie on his torso with a grey hood and a white pattern near the top. His hair was firey, orangey brown, styled into curles atop his handsome face. A wide smile stretched across his face from ear to ear, lighting up his black and caramel eyes. Chanyeol. He had in one hand a cardboard carrier that contained two steaming plastic coffee cups and in the other a plastic bag with their usual cafés logo printed upon it. At first Baekhyun felt his mouth drop open in shock, he hadn’t expected Chanyeol to be there. Then a small, almost embarrassed smile played across his lips as he tilted hi head down. He looked up at Chanyeol through his lashes, trying to hide the faint pink blush that had painted his cheeks.

“Hey Hyunnie, I thought you might be slow this morning so I got some breakfast.” He grinned, hair flopping over his eyes. “Can I come in?” Baekhyun nodded, suddenly feeling very shy and stepped back from the door to allow the giant to pass him.

“You didn’t have to do that.” Baekhyun said quietly. Chanyeol had been putting their breakfast down on the table when he looked back to Baekhyun.

“Yes.” He said in a gentle voice, “I did. And no arguing.” He smiled and ruffled Baekhyun’s hair. Baekhyun scoweled at that. “Anyway, I wanted to.” He turned back to the table and started to take two bagels out of the bag, Baekhyun had to admit, they did look delicious.

“Thank you.” Baekhyun said, edging towards Chanyeol a little more. “Not just for the food but for…everything else.” Chanyeol turned around and faced him. He put one hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder and lifte his chin with the other, his eyes were wide and earnest.

“How are you feeling? Tell me honestly, don’t lie.” Baekhyun felt his heart pound a little harder at the contact and fought back the blush that he knew wanted to take over his face. He sighed and told the truth, knowing he could get away with nothing less.

“Well it hurts when I move, but I have gotten used to it now and it’s nothing I can’t handle.” He smiled reassuringly up at Chanyeol. Chanyeol looked a little unhappy, a frown pulling at his eyebrows.

“Well you have to tell me if it starts to be unbearable, even a little bit past mild and you have to tell me. Alright?” Baekhyun nodded and smiled.

They ate their bagels quickly, deciding to drink while they were walking. Chanyeol had gotten himself tea as Baekhyun had suspected and he had gotten Baekhyun a medium cinnamon latte. Warmth spread through Baekhyun and he had grinned like a fool when he realised that Chanyeol had remembered from when they had gone to the café together. Baekhyun stood up from the table having finished his Bagel and hoisted his bag back onto his shoulders. He was stood behind his converses, staring at them with a frown. He had just resigned himself to endure the pain of bending over when he heard a shuffle and Chanyeol crouched down in front of him. He silently lifted Baekhyun’s foot and slid it into his shoe, tying up the long white laces. He did the same with the other foot and looked up smiling. “Is there anything else you need before we go?” He asked. Baekhyun blushed and shook his head. Chanyeol stood and straightened up. He grabbed their plastic cups from the table and handed Baekhyun his. He wound his free hand around Baekhyun’s waist, making sure not to hurt his deeply bruised side, and helped him to walk. Baekhyun felt a line of fire where Chanyeol’s arm was encasing him, but this time it was not painful fire, it was good, warming, reassuring fire. It was his angel’s fire. He couldn’t help but lean himself into Chanyeol’s side as they began the short walk to school. He heard Chanyeol sigh ad looked up to see him smiling down at him, his eyes warm and calm. He wondered how Suho and Kyungsoo were going to react when he arrived. He chuckled, anticipating hilarious reactions.