Flirty cashier

The competition

 

Baekhyun was walking down the pavement that lead up to his house when is pocket started vibrating. He reached into his pocket and drew out his phone. Looking at the caller ID, he saw that it was Kyungsoo who was calling; he dragged a finger across the screen and held it to his ear. Immediately he was assaulted by the loud voice of his best friend babbling into his ear. "Oh my gosh, Baekhyun I can't believe you got Chanyeol! How was it? And oh my gosh, guess who I got! Kai! Yeah I got Kai, I am still spazzing. And Suho got that hottie Sehun; you know one of Chanyeol's friends. He can’t stop talking about his tongue..." there was a slight thud and a moan from Kyungsoo. Baekhyun heard shouts at the other end of the phone and was sure that Suho had punched Kyungsoo for what he had said about him. Baekhyun sniggered at his two friends and waited for Kyungsoo to come back to the phone. 

"So anyway," Kyungsoo continued, slightly out of breath." Me and Suho are going for coffee and you have to come. There is so much to talk about! Yes? Yes, good, we'll see you at the usual place in 5, bye!" Kyungsoo hung up, so as to not give Baekhyun a chance to refuse. He had done it before but luckily today Baekhyun had no plans of refusing the coffee. There was indeed a lot to talk about. 

Five minutes later Baekhyun arrived at the coffee shop. He saw through the large window at the front of the building that Kyungsoo and Suho had already gotten their coffees. He washed at them before stepping through the door, a light jingle of a bell sounding above him. As soon as he stepped through the door he was hit by the thick warm aroma of coffee and cakes. He breathed in deeply before stepping into the short que to take his order. He already knew what he would get so he didn't bother to peruse the menu, he got the same drink every time. As he stepped up to the counter he couldn't help but stare at the glass display case, filled with the most delicious and devilish looking cakes you had ever seen. He looked back up at the cashier and smiled, "Medium cinnamon latte please." he loved cinnamon; it was like Christmas in a cup. 

He noticed that the cashier, a girl about his age with long lashes and rosy cheeks, kept looking up at him whilst she took his order and batting her unusually long eyelashes. He smiled awkwardly again, becoming fidgety and uncomfortable under her gaze. After a few minutes of this she handed him his coffee and a slip of paper, "One medium cinnamon latte and your receipt." she smiled a sickly sweet smile and winked at him. Baekhyun nodded slightly and moved away from the till to their usual table, where Kyungsoo and Suho were already seated. He sank into the old leather sofa, placing his coffee down on the waxed, wooden surface of the table. 

"I think that the girl over there was hitting on me." Baekhyun whispered at his two friends as he sat down, sounding slightly disgusted at the idea. He turned over his receipt to check it as he always did and found a phone number scribbled along one side with a heart doodled at the edge. "Eugh, she even gave me her number!" 
"Do you reckon she knows that you like not ?" Kyungsoo said, it was so brazen that a deep blush crept up Baekhyun's cheeks. Kyungsoo laughed and, whilst air quoting, said, "Oh sorry, that you 'bat for the other team'." Baekhyun couldn't help giggling as well as he, Kyungsoo and Suho all looked over to see the girl making ridiculous puppy dog eyes and pouting her lips. The final straw was when she attempted the squish her arms together to increase her cleavage and all three boys fell about in hysterics. Their laughter grew even more as she suddenly looked extremely put out and walked off in a grump. 

"So anyway," Baekhyun began after a sip of Christmas, "What themes did you two get?" 
"I got fear," Kyungsoo began. Baekhyun could see that Suho was bursting t say something but he managed to hold it in. "I think it's kind of appropriate as I am scared less of Kai even though I love him s much, he's just so...intimidating, you know?" Baekhyun hooded but before he could agree with Kyungsoo Suho found that he couldn't keep quiet anymore. 
"I got serenity!" Suho almost shouted, "And...and...Sehun. He-he says....therenity. It's so god damn cute!" Suho flopped back down into the back of the leather sofa that he shared with Kyungsoo, across from Baekhyun, as he managed to get out what he wanted to say. He adopted a far off expression and both Kyungsoo and Baekhyun knew that he was thinking of Sehun. Baekhyun looked over at Kyungsoo who looked back and the two started giggling at their crush induced friend. 

"Ya, Suho! Cat got your tongue? Oh wait, the cat wants the tongue." Kyungsoo leaned closer to Suho and whispered, “You’re the cat." he then winked, earning a punch on the arm from Suho. Kyungsoo groaned and rubbed the sore spot whilst Baekhyun sat across from them almost doubled over with laughter. They carried on teasing each other for the next hour or so before finally deciding that's they had better head home and start planning their compositions. Baekhyun didn't tell the other two that he had practically finished theirs because for some reason he was worried about how they would react to that. 

When he got home he slung his school bag on the kitchen table and continued up t his room, kicking off his clothes as he went. He slung on a pair of pyjama bottoms, feeling lazy and wanting to be warm and cosy. He never had to worry about privacy when changing in his house because his parents were never there when he was. Sometimes he appreciated the freedom he had, whereas other times he really craved their attention, and just wanted the chance to ask them about their day and be asked in return. He sighed as he slumped down into his computed chair and pulled out his notepad. It was the notepad that he kept specifically for writing lyrics and composting. It was his favourite for this because on one side of each double page was lined paper and the other side was music score paper. He began scribbling down his lyrics and the tune. Even though he had a fantastic memory and knew that he wouldn't forget, he couldn't bare the idea of disappointing Chanyeol and accidentally forgetting. 

Once he had finished he glanced at his watch, it was 10 30pm. Normally he would stay up later but he knew that he needed to get up early to meet Chanyeol in the morning. At just the thought of seeing him tomorrow and the memory of seeing him today his heart fluttered and pounded and his breathing hitched. He sighed at himself, wishing he knew of a way to stop his reactions and slid in between his sheets. He reached down in the dark into his bed side table draw. From the draw he pulled the soft, smooth fabric of Chanyeol's jumper. He held the jumper to his face breathed in deeply, falling asleep to memories and scents that were both comforting and heart pounding at the same time. That was his angel, always trying to protect, yet without meaning to, ending up hurting just with his mere presence.