Sacrifice

The competition

 

"Are you the black X?" Chanyeol enquired as he grabbed hold of Baekhyun's wrist and lifted it to his face, so that he could look at the white X that was printed on Baekhyun's slip of paper. A grin spread across his face as he let Baekhyun's wrist drop back to his side. "That's great! I'm sure we'll make an awesome team, you have an incredible voice." Chanyeol held his hand up in the air expecting to receive a high five. Baekhyun stood blankly, all of his mind was focused on the warmth that was spreading along his skin from his wrist. He blinked rapidly and looked up into the caramel flecked eyes before him, "Huh?" he asked, with the expression of a lost deer on his face. 

Chanyeol let out a y chuckle, which made Baekhyun's knees tremble, and lifted Baekhyun's hand to high five his own. "Oh, right." Baekhyun felt a warm flush spreading up his cheeks as he looked down to his feet. "S-shall, we go and get our theme then, we want to g-get a good practice room." Baekhyun stammered, indicating to the paper filled desk to their left. Chanyeol nodded enthusiastically in agreement and the two made their way through the crowd of confused people still searching for their partners. By the time they reached the desk, the last person had just taken their slip from the frosted glass bowl, so Baekhyun and Chanyeol were the first two to receive their theme. 

The lady sat at the desk looked up at the two of them. "Names?" she asked, her pen poised on a pad ready to take note of the first pair. "Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun." Chanyeol said calmly. The woman smiled at the two of them and began to write down their names. On the outside Baekhyun was politely smiling back at the kind looking woman, but on the inside all he could think was, Oh my gosh, Chanyeol knows my last name. He knows my freaking last name.

As she finished scribbling their names down into her notebook she gestured to the frosted glass bowl which was once again filled with slips of paper. Baekhyun realised that this must be how they selected their song topic and reached into the bowl. He grasped hold of a crisp slip of paper and drew his hand out of the box. Before he had time to open it up he felt a slight shove from behind him, and grumbles for them to hurry up. Sensing the tension Baekhyun began to move out of the line, but he felt his t-shirt being tugged in the other direction, as Chanyeol pulled him from the crowded, bustling room. 

Baekhyun's heart was beating frantically at the contact between him and Chanyeol, but he took a deep breath and focused, trying to ignore its thumping beats. Chanyeol grinned his crazy smile at Baekhyun, "Let's go find a good practice room before everyone comes out," he said, while starting to move away down the corridor, "Then we can look at our theme." Baekhyun nodded numbly and trailed slowly behind Chanyeol. Chanyeol looked behind him and seemed to notice that Baekhyun was purposefully not walking next to him. A slight frown pulled his eyebrows together, creasing his smooth forehead. He leaned back and Baekhyun gasped internally as he slung an arm around his shoulders and pulled him along at a faster speed. Baekhyun felt his breathing hitch up a notch and his heart pump faster than ever, his face flushed a deep shade off beet root as he focused his gaze on the ground. He tried to ignore the heat that was spreading down his back from where Chanyeol's arm was touching his shoulders. 

Luckily, after no more than 10 seconds, Chanyeol pushed through a door to their left into one of the soundproof practice rooms. The room was fairly small, about 4 meters each way, with a small window on the cream wall opposite the door. Lining the left wall was a dark, wooden piano with a small black stool and another chair by the window. On the right wall there were music posters about scales and chords and other educational things. Mostly people would bring their own instruments to the practice rooms, so it was a surprise to see the light, wooden guitar with intricate engravings in the sides, propped up against the wall by the third and final chair in the back corner. Chanyeol made his way over to the chair that was supporting the guitar as Baekhyun flopped down on the piano stool. Baekhyun watched as Chanyeol slid into the chair and slung the guitar into his lap. He looked up with a grin spread across his face, "So, what's our theme then Baekhyun." Baekhyun tried to ignore the sudden, loud thumping of his heart when he heard Chanyeol say his name in his deep, husky voice. 

He slid his hand into the pocket that he had scrunched their slip of paper into, as they had fled the room where they had been paired up. As he pulled it from the recesses of his denim pocket he unfolded the paper to reveal a single word, written in black, stark against the white of the paper. Sacrifice. "So, what does it say?" Chanyeol enquired, his eyes fixed on Baekhyun's face. "Sacrifice, it says sacrifice." Baekhyun said, glancing up and then back down as his eyes met Chanyeol's. He looked up again to see Chanyeol leaning back in his chair, contemplating their theme. Baekhyun smiled, butterflies fluttering around in his stomach as he thought about how cute Chanyeol looked when he was thinking. The way his eyebrows knitted together and his eyes scanned over the ceiling as he nibbled on his lower lip. He looked just like an Angel. But he wanted to be Chanyeol's angel. Baekhyun let out a gasp as he sat up straight from his slump, words spinning around in his head. Chanyeol looked up surprised and began to ask what was wrong, but stopped as Baekhyun held up a hand to silence him. 

Baekhyun sat entirely still, seeming calm and quiet on the outside, whilst on the inside his mind was whirring away. Words and phrases spun around in his head, he would select one and alter it, storing it in another part of his mind or throwing away. For 10 minutes or so Baekhyun sat there, sorting through the ideas in his head, whilst Chanyeol just sat and watched him in fascination. Watching as even whilst his body remained motionless, his face would display small amounts of what he was thinking. The corners of his mouth would turn up or down if he was happy or sad, his brows would furrow together if he seemed disappointed and his eyes would squint slightly if he was concentrating really hard on something. Chanyeol was so fixated on watching Baekhyun's expressions that he was shocked when the boy snapped out of his trance. 

Baekhyun felt another blush creep up his face as he noticed Chanyeol staring at him, he pointed at the piano and asked, "Do you mind if I try something?" Chanyeol shook his head, "Not at all, knock yourself out." he said with another goofy grin. Baekhyun nodded and spun around on the piano stool, so the he was facing the black and white keys. He laid his long, slender, milky fingers on the keys and took a deep breath before starting to play, and to sing;

This moment feels like I was born as a child who knew nothing

I closed my eyes again in case it would be a dream

You were standing in front of my desperate self and praying

Just once, I want to walk side by side with you

 

Taken by the soft wind to your world

You asked me brightly where I came from to your side

And I told you that It was a secret

Wherever we walk together

Will be paradise

 

You are an eye-blinding entity compared to Michael

Who would remember you, I will not forgive it

Like the beginning when stepping into Eden

Believing you every day from the bottom of my heart

 

I always want to protect you

So that even the small things won’t tire you out, I’m eternally in love

 

As your guardian, I will block the stiff wind

Even though people turn their backs to you

If I could become the person

Who can wipe your tears on a tiring day

It will be paradise

 

I, who has fallen in love with no other place to

Go back, my wings have been taken away (oh no)

Even though I lost my everlasting life, the reason to my happiness

You are my eternity Eternally Love

Baekhyun ended, his hands still resting upon the piano keys. Without turning around he began to explain, "It's about an angel. An angel who sacrificed everything, even their eternity to be with the person they loved. An eternity without love is just that, eternity." Baekhyun sighed and as he turned back to Chanyeol he said, "Sorry, we don't have to use it. You probably hate it don't you." he was then fully facing Chanyeol, he looked up into his face to see that his eyes were wide and moist, tears threatened to fall from his caramel flecked eyes as his mouth hung open in awe. Baekhyun, on instinct, leaned forwards, stretching out his arm, and brushed his fingers along Chanyeol's cheeks wiping away the tears. Chanyeol looked up into Baekhyun's eyes and Baekhyun realised what he was doing, snatching his hand away from Chanyeol's face. He blushed and looked at the ground. 

"That was....beautiful." Chanyeol breathed, his eyes still wide and glistening like orbs. Just then the bell rang out, snapping the two of them out of their stunned expressions. ", I have a meeting now." Chanyeol jumped up from his chair, dragging his sleeve across his cheeks to remove the last of the wetness on his face. He looked down at Baekhyun apologetically, "Sorry, I have to go. I'll meet you here at 8am tomorrow before school okay? Don't forget what you just sang, make sure to write it down!" the last few words were a little muffled to Baekhyun as he has yelled them whilst dashing away down the corridor. 

Finally snapping fully out of the trance that he had been in whilst composing in his head, his heart began to judder just as erratically as before as his breathing became jagged. He lay back against the piano, ignoring the random clang of notes as he rested on the keys, and breathed deeply. He knew that this was going to be hard. Putting a hand on his chest over his heart, he realised that he was also going to have to figure out a way of being in the same room as Chanyeol without his bodily functions giving away how he felt. He sighed as he closed his eyes and began committing his song to memory. He was torn between the names Angel and Into your world