You come here often?

The competition

 

Flashback – the previous Friday

Suho peeked through the crystalline glass panelling in the door before pushing gently on the smooth, honey coloured, wooden handle. A short, rather pump middle aged woman with platinum blonde hair and an extremely bright orange dress was stood next to a keyboard on the left hand side of the room, a sheet of white paper riddled with black in her hand. Suho put on his most charming smile and bowed politely at the woman.

“Hello, my name is Suho.” He greeted, holding out a hand for her to shake. She took it gladly, her small, roundish hands were warm and pudgy but not in that sweaty way that would make Suho want to throw up just a little bit.

“My name is Go EunGi and I am your vocal coach.” EunGi said with a smile parted her bright red lips and that seemed to crack the heavy makeup around her eyes a little. To Suho she was a clear example of mutton dressed as lamb, but she seemed nice enough so far and Suho was not one to judge based on appearances. “Why don’t you put your things down on the chairs over there. Once your partner has arrived we can begin.” She said, stacking her papers neatly against the keyboard as she spoke. Suho nodded and smiled again before turning away. He was all about being respectful. He shrugged his bag off of his shoulders and let it slide onto the blue plastic chair. He slipped his big, navy blue duffel coat off as well and let it pool beside his bag, the furry rimmed hood fell off of the chair to hang barely an inch from the floor. Suho just shrugged it off, it didn’t really matter.

The click of a door unlatching echoed in Suho’s ears, the scraping sound of the two surfaces sliding past each other as the door was pushed open. Suho looked up to the dull tap of shoes on the honey wood, closer inspection found them to be loosely laced, coffee brown high tops with thick, white soles. His eyes continued up, past the tight black skinny jeans that perfectly accented the owner’s legs, past the sky blue cardigan and open necked white shirt that dropped low enough to reveal a delectable expanse of creamy white skin and defined collar bones. He looked past all of this, but what his gaze landed on last of all was the thing that drew his breath from him without his permission and set his heart thumping five times its normal rate. The boy’s pink lips were drawn into a half smile, a cute dimple on his right cheek the only thing interrupting his flawless white skin and his large, almond shaped, chocolate coloured eyes were outlined with naturally thick, dark lashes that fluttered slightly as he stepped through the door. Lay Suho thought as he felt his heart practically spring from his chest.

Not a moment after the door had shut with a light click were those gorgeous eyes locked on his own, Suho felt as though if he held his gaze then he would just fall into those deep, swirling eyes forever, nothing would stop him and nothing could make him want to stop. Lay cleared his throat and turned to EunGi with a smile. Suho felt his face flame, he had been caught staring, not even a subtle glance but outright staring, mouth ajar and everything. Noticing that Lay had put his stuff on the chair beside Suho’s and was now waiting beside EunGi Suho shook his head and snapped back to attention, taking a tentative step towards the two of them.

“So shall we start with a few vocal exercises?” EunGi asked with a rather plastic looking smile, but Suho could see the real kindness behind all of the fake. He nodded politely. “Okay Suho you can start, repeat after me: Do re mi fa so la ti do.” She sang, rising her voice by a note each time. It had started low and Suho easily copied her. She did it again, this time higher and yet again he was able to sing the notes beautifully. They kept going until Suho felt as though he was charring his throat with the intensely high pitch that his voice most definitely wasn’t designed for. He coughed a little and felt a warm hand patting his back gently. He looked over to the owner of the hand in shock to be met with a dimple accompanied wink from Lay, he felt his knees turn to jelly and his heart melt. Working with him was going to be hard, Suho realised, but oh so worth it. He smiled and flushed slightly before looking back to EunGi, it was Lay’s turn to warm up. Lay repeated the same scales that Suho had sung, his voice lilting with an almost rough quality to it, it was spine tingling and Suho felt his fingers constantly curl and uncurl at the delicious sound.

The two hours passed in a flash and Suho was both relieved and gutted when it was over. He was relieved because he wasn’t sure if he could have taken any more of Lay’s smirks or of his gravelly voice that sent him into fits of shivers. But then again it was for the same reasons that he was disappointed. He shrugged his duffel coat back onto his shoulders and slipped on his bag.

“Thank you for the lesson.” He said, bowing graciously at EunGi with his thousand watt smile. He wanted to talk to Lay, as in properly talk, but he was too shy. He knew that he was shy at it was a shortcoming of his that he had always regretted. He took three deep breaths, drawing up his courage from somewhere within himself. He gritted his teeth and turned to face the pale angel who was packing away his own stuff. Lay looked up at him with his gorgeous eyes, one perfect eyebrow raised in question as Suho opened his mouth, about to say…well…anything. Whatever he said would be better than having said nothing at all. Before he could say anything more than a quiet, “Umm..” The door was open once again and something was tugging on his arm. 

He turned to face his tall cute dongsaeng, Sehun’s eyes were like slim crescent moons as he smiled joyfully, “Come on hyung. The buth driver ith getting really impatient.” Sehun said, pulling on his sleeve once more for emphasis. Suho glanced down at his watch, they still had twenty minutes until they were scheduled to leave, their bus driver really was a grumpy piece of work.

“Nae Sehun-ah.” He said with a regretful sigh. He lifted his hand slightly in a half wave, his cheeks flushing pink as he uttered a quiet, “Bye.” Before letting himself be dragged out of the room by a nattering Sehun.

“Chan thaid that thince Baek ith thtill in his coaching that they will get the public buth home. Oh and hyung, I think that I really am in love with Luhan, he’th jutht tho…” Sehun carried on in his bubbly fashion until they reached the car park. Suho and Sehun both grumbled as they saw the grotty, falling apart vehicle that they were meant to be able to call a minibus. A glance through the grimy windows told Suho that Kyungsoo and Kai were already there, the disdain on their faces marking the just as awful and crumbling quality of the interior. Sehun hopped up the steps into the bus then Suho followed, being careful not to touch anything with his bare hands. He was on the first step when his phone buzzed in his pocket. He slid it out and opened up the text he had received.

 

From: Sunny Noona <3

To: Suho

Hey Suho, your mum said you were at SM today! I am on my way through that way so I’ll take you home and you can tell me about it on the drive, okay? Wait for me, see you soon x

 

Suho grinned at the message, it was perfect, quality time with his favourite, *cough* only *cough* Noona and he also got to avoid a ride on the death bus.

“Guys, Sunny is giving me a lift!” Suho called before bouncing off of the bus, just in time to miss the doors closing on him with a loud and grating tchs. He waved at the pouting Sehun through the dirty window with a smile as the bus pulled away from the curb with a rattle and a hiss. He walked over to the grey, granite stone wall that edged the car park and hopped up to sit on it. The cold stone was chilling against his bum and he hoped that he would be able to heat up the spot soon. He plugged in some music in one ear and waited with a smile.

He checked his phone, it had been forty whole minutes, his hands were frozen and his was numb, he drew his coat closer around his body, he was most definitely no longer waiting with a smile. How could he forget how, no matter her good intentions, Sunny was always, always late. He sighed and blew his fringe from his eyes as he watched his feet continuously bounce off of the wall.

“Sunny!” He said, exasperated at her tardiness, this must have been some sort of a record had been 45 minutes since she said she was on her way through.

“I hate to be the one to break this too you, really I do. But it’s not sunny, it’s cloudy and cold as hell.” A voice said from behind him. A delicious, smooth voice like melted chocolate slathered on strawberries. Damn that was a good voice, a voice that he knew belonged to… He turned around to see those beautiful lips smirking at him, dimple gleaming in the street lamp light. His chocolaty fringe swept across his face as he grinned. He had purple headphones slung around his neck, matching the rich purple of his bag. Lay.

The pale boy hopped up onto the wall beside Suho, so close that Suho could feel the warmth from his leg pressing against his own, sending his heart into a fluttering frenzy. Lay itched the tip of his long, straight nose with one of his slim white fingers before turning to face Suho with a grin.

“So, you come here often?” He asked, eyes twinkling. Suho blushed and, unsure of what to say just shook his head. “Not really a talker eh? Shame, I like ‘em loud, oh well.” Lay said with a wink, biting briefly on his lower lip before laughing. His laugh was like music to Suho’s ears, the sound so melodious that he barely had enough brain waves left to realise that he should be embarrassed by what Lay had just said. Unfortunately there were enough left to leave him a nice shade of beetroot. “So what are you really still doing here?” Lay asked, lifting one foot up onto the wall so that he could rest his chin on his knee. The sight was really endearing and Suho couldn’t help but smile shyly.

“I was waiting for my Noona, Sunny, but she’s astronomically late as usual.” Suho puffed out a bubble of air in a huff, his fringe flapping comically as he did so.

“Ah, so the sunny vs. cloudy day mystery is revealed.” Lay  said loudly, leaning back with a wide, lazy grin. “Why don’t you come with me? I can take you home, I have other means of transport.” Lay said with another wink.

“U-umm, but she’ll be here soon…” Suho stuttered out.

“Come with me.” Lay interrupted with a bright and genuine smile. He jumped down off of the wall before holding out his hand, “Come on.” Suho gnawed gently on his lower lip, unsure of what to do or say. He knew that he should wait but, oh screw it. He took lay’s milky hand, sighing at the softness of his skin, and hopped off of the wall. He stumbled slightly as he hit the ground and before he knew what was what a pair of strong arms were around his waist, holding him up. His hear pounded and thundered at the unexpected touch and when he was stood upright and Lay removed his hands he felt a sudden aching loss.

“So, how are getting there?” Suho asked, Lay wasn’t old enough to drive yet, and even if he had a learners permit then he would need a qualified driver in the front seat, which Suho certainly wasn’t.

“My unicorn.” Lay said with a grin. Lay’s words caused a spasm within Suho, did he just say unicorn? Did he just say his ing unicorn!? Suho shrieked in his head, all that came out was a confused, “Err…”

“My motorbike dummy.” Lay said with a smirk. “She is my unicorn.”

As you will be mine, Suho thought resolutely as he glazed over at Lay’s dazzling smile; beautiful. 

To be continued...

 

AN: I know that I should have been revising for tomorrow but I couldn't resist! I was going to do one really long chapter but I wanted to update with this today, I realise that I have a habit of drawing things out over lots of chapters, so sorry! But anyway, I hope you enjoyed, there is more Sulay to come, this is only the begining :3