Pabo

The competition

 

Baekhyun sat up straight in his bed when SNSD’s The boys blared out into his room. He had changed it from Gee thinking that it was more appropriate for that day as it was the boys he was performing with. He groaned and clutched at his head as he whooshed up into a sitting position, his head rush made his eyes roll slightly and made it feel as though he had cotton wool stuffed into his ears. He flopped onto his stomach, his head lolling over the edge of his bed, as he felt around on the floor for his phone. When his fingers grasped the cool metal he pulled it up to his face. He flinched and squinted as the bright light of the screen shone glaringly bright into his eyes. Flicking a few buttons he turned off the snooze on his alarm and rolled off of his bed and onto the floor, tangling himself more deeply into his blankets as he fell. He shuffled along on his hands and knees towards his door, still encased in his sheets and looking more like a wounded ghost than a boy. When he reached the hall he pushed himself up onto his feet and continued to lumber towards the shower in his half asleep state.

After he had showered he wrapped his towel around his waist and swiped his palm across the bathroom mirror, wiping away the steam that had collected there. He gazed at his reflection; his skin was pale and clear, and his eyes wide and bright. He felt much more awake after the refreshing effect of the shower and grinned at his reflection with a wink before turning back to his bedroom. He loped through the hallway with ease, moving with the grace of an ice dancer in comparison to his earlier mode of travel. He bent over to pick his phone up off the ground, marvelling at the lack of pain in his side. His bruises had now almost completely disappeared; only one or two patches remaining that didn’t even hurt.

Glancing at the time Baekhyun noticed a small envelope in the top left hand corner. He clicked it open and smiled to himself when he saw who had texted him, his heart growing warm.

 

From: Yeollie <3

To: Baekhyun

Rise and shine sleeping beauty! Make sure you get up, I know how you are x

 

Baekhyun grinned and blushed slightly remembering the few times over the past couple of weeks when Chanyeol had shown up early to walk him to school and he had still been fast asleep. He typed back a reply.

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Yeollie <3

I know, I know. I’m up pabo x

 

He was about to put his phone down but not seconds later cam the chime that indicated he had another text.

 

From: Yeollie <3

To: Baekhyun

Did you sleep well Hyunnie? Are you excited for today? I am so excited I might pee myself! x

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Yeollie <3

Eww Yeollie, don’t pee yourself! Stop texting I need to get dressed I am still in my towel. See you soon!! x

 

Baekhyun tugged on his favourite dark blue skinny jeans and was just pulling a white t-shirt over his head when he heard his phone chime again. He sighed and carried on dressing himself. He had on one sock before he couldn’t resist anymore and snatched his phone up from his bed.

 

From: Yeollie <3

To: Baekhyun

Towel eh? ;) x

 

Baekhyun chuckled to himself, shaking his head as an uncontrollable grin set across his face.

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Yeollie <3

*facepalm* Pabo x

 

He put his phone down, this time resolute that he wouldn’t touch it again until he was ready for school. He finished dressing and plonked himself down in his dressing table chair, slicking a little eyeliner onto his eyelids. Once he was happy with his appearance he bounded down the stairs, humming to the boys as he went. He was in a fantastic mood, he felt energetic and nimble as he closed the fridge behind him with his hip, milk grasped in his hand. He slid a slice of bread into the toaster and flicked the kettle on. He slipped from the kitchen to where his bag lay on the sofa in the sitting room and began stuffing his note books and folders into the heavy bag. He heard that familiar chime and, deciding that he had enough time to look, he slid his phone from his back pocket and clicked on the text.

 

From: Yeollie <3

To: Baekhyun

Ya :( I’m not the pabo, you’re the one who’s burning your toast x

 

As he read the message the thick, gag worthy, tangy smell of burnt toast wafted into his nostrils. He flapped his hand in front of his face as he ran back into the kitchen. He sped to the toaster and popped up the now blackened toast, trying to waft away the choking smoke that was rising up from the blackened lump. He frowned, pouting at his ruined breakfast before suddenly realising something.

 

From: Baekhyun

To: Yeollie <3

Wait, how did you know I burnt my toast? :O x

 

Just as he clicked send and the little envelope with an arrow disappeared there was a loud knock on the door. Baekhyun tilted his head to the side, wondering who it could be. The post had already arrived and no one else usually came knocking. Shrugging he walked over the door, still trying to fan away the acrid burn smell. He flung open the door just as his phone chimed.

There stood his angel, phone in hand and swathed in white. His hair was glowing like fire in the morning sun and his eyes were dark like burning coals. He had on white skinny jeans and a white jacket, wrapping around his perfect body and complimenting his smooth skin. His smile was bright as he looked into Baekhyun’s eyes. Baekhyun felt himself become warm right through, from the end of his nose to the tips of his toes. He grinned back but looked down at his phone, opening up the message he had just received.

 

From: Yeollie <3

To: Baekhyun

You look beautiful this morning Hyung x

 

Baekhyun smiled and felt his cheeks flame. “Pabo.” He chuckled before flinging himself into the taller’s arms, pressing his lips briefly to Chanyeol’s before nuzzling his face into Chanyeol’s neck. Chanyeol wrapped his long arms around Baekhyun, encasing him in a tight hug. Something slapped gently against Baekhyun’s back and he looked over his shoulder to see that Chanyeol had a plastic bag grasped in his hand. He looked back at Chanyeol hopefully.

“Breakfast?” He asked with cute, wide eyes. Chanyeol laughed and nodded.

“What would you do without me?” Chanyeol said before under his breath muttering, “Burning toast tch.” Baekhyun pouted at the thought of the charred rectangle that couldn’t really be called toast anymore before shrugging it off and tugging Chanyeol inside by his hand. As they entered the kitchen Baekhyun reached for the bag but Chanyeol held it out of his reach. Chanyeol pushed him gently down into a chair while shaking his head. “Nu-uh.” Chanyeol proceeded to unpack the food and drinks, grabbing plates and cutlery and laying out the table. Baekhyun watched him work with a smile, wondering how he had such a perfect human being for a boyfriend. He looked at his plate ravenously as it was slid towards him. On it was a large blueberry muffin, the perfect mix of blueberries and soft, fluffy cake. He his lips and was about to take a bite when his attention was distracted from the muffin by the warm, homey aroma of cinnamon wafting around his nose. He closed his eyes and breathed in deeply, letting the smell of cinnamon and coffee fill his nostrils, pushing out the unwelcome smell of burnt toast. He smiled lightly and opened his eyes to a peculiar sight. Chanyeol was leaning across the table from his seat opposite Baekhyun with a to go cup of coffee in his hand. He was swirling the coffee around under Baekhyun’s nose with a creepy grin and a glint in his eyes. Baekhyun laughed and grabbed the coffee.

They ate their breakfasts quicker than they would have liked, having to get to school. Baekhyun shoved the disposables into the bin and began to wash up their plates. He was just placing the first plate onto the rack to dry when he felt a pair of strong arms encircling his waist. Large warm hands rested on his stomach as Chanyeol leant his chin onto Baekhyun’s shoulder. Baekhyun felt butterflies flutter in his stomach at Chanyeol’s touch and smiled, looking down at the plates to hide his blush.

“Do you feel ready for today?” Chanyeol asked, his breath tickling along Baekhyun’s neck.

“Yeah, I think we can do well, we can do our best. Whether that’s good enough or not we’ll see.” Baekhyun replied as he scrubbed at the dirty plate.

“Well I think we’re good enough. I mean Kai and Sehun are just awesome dancers and you and Kyung can blow anyone away with your voices, not to mention that Suho can make you like him just by smiling. Plus our costumes are super cool, how did you and Kyung do it? I mean they’re so shiny and spacy and yet not overstated or too flashy…” Baekhyun smiled the incessant babbling that he loved and reached a bubbly hand behind his shoulder. He pressed his hand against Chanyeol’s cheek interrupting the mindless chatter.

“Channie.” Baekhyun said to stop the flow of speech as his hand came into contact with Chanyeol’s face.

“Mmm?” Chanyeol mumbled while blowing at the bubbles being transferred from Baekhyun’s hand to his face with a chuckle.

“I love you.” Baekhyun whispered, heart fluttering like a baby bird in the spring. Baekhyun suddenly felt a gentle hand gripping his chin and turning his face so that he was looking back and upwards, deep into the charcoal and caramel eyes he loved. Chanyeol leaned down and pressed his lips into Baekhyun’s, Baekhyun felt so much emotion in the kiss he felt like he could burst with the overwhelming pressure in his heart. His heart wasn’t big enough for the amount of love he had for this tall and crazy boy. Chanyeol pulled back only a little so that their faces were only an inch apart. He traced a heart around Baekhyun’s belly button as he spoke, “And I love you.”