Awake

The competition

 

Luhan started at the sound of hurried footsteps, crunching through the light layer of snow dusting the ground, toward where he lay. He lifted his head from where it was resting upon Sehun’s to look to the sound. “Luhan!” A voice called to him as he looked up. He knew that voice, as he found the two people walking towards him with his eyes he was verified that it was indeed Baekhyun who had called to him. The short, brunette boy had something huddled in one arm while his other free hand was stretched out to clasp the hand of the taller boy beside him. Chanyeol. The taller was looking worried and Luhan’s heart dropped, that couldn’t be a good sign. He hadn’t exactly known him long but all that Luhan had seen of Chanyeol was a goofy boy with a permanent pearly smile.

Luhan untangled his arms and legs from where they were wrapped around Sehun’s thin and shaking body and stood up to face Baekhyun and Chanyeol as the two came to a stop by the bench. Luhan rubbed harshly at the tears still glistening on his cheeks before speaking. “I’m so sorry to call you but I- I don’t know what to d-do…” Luhan would have been embarrassed at his shaky voice in front of people he had only met once were he not so sick to his stomach with worry. Baekhyun put a hand on his shoulder and smiled at him with a calm expression, “Just breathe Luhan, It’s fine, really. This has happened before and although I wasn’t there I know what to do. Trust me okay?” Luhan looked into Baekhyun’s warm brown eyes which held nothing but the truth and nodded, letting out a shaky breath that he hadn’t even realised that he was holding. “Now, let’s get this blanket around him.” The mystery lump wedged between Baekhyun’s elbow and hip was revealed to be a thick, and rather fluffy, blanket. Luhan grabbed two corners while Baekhyun kept hold of the other two and the two of the worked together to wrap the long, thin boy in the swathes of fabric.

Luhan tucked the blanket up and around Sehun’s ears before rubbing his thumb along the younger’s cheeks, trying to get some colour back into them, to rid Sehun of the chilling blue. “Channie, could you?” Luhan heard Baekhyun saying quietly behind him. A soft mumbled reply was heard and suddenly Sehun was whooshing up into the air past Luhan. He looked up, eyes wide to see what had happened, only to feel stupid when he saw Sehun wrapped comfortably in Chanyeol’s arms.

“Come on, we want to get him inside as soon as we can.” Baekhyun said and Luhan felt something warm pulling on his hand. He looked and saw that Baekhyun’s hand was holding his own and that the younger boy was looking at him with a reassuring smile. He nodded and tried to smile back, though he found it difficult while his mind was reeling and his heart was aching. Chanyeol walked just in front of him and Baekhyun, who kept his fingers wrapped around Luhan’s as though he thought that he might just stand still and stare at nothing if he didn’t hold on. Luhan was worried that that would actually happen if the younger let go so he held on tight. The gentle crunch and crackle of lightly setting snow beneath his feet was calming there was something about Baekhyun’s presence that made him feel better. Though they had only met once, he felt like he could trust him, maybe it was because he knew that Sehun was such good friends with him, or maybe the younger was just a caring person who could appeal to anyone. Whatever it was Luhan felt comfortable in the company of the short and tall boys.

After a few minutes they stopped outside a house and Baekhyun freed his hand to fumble with his keys in the lock. The house was a fair size and seemed to be well preened, the hedge rows lining the path to the door were neat and freshly trimmed and there was shiny wooden decking wrapping around the house, leading out back. There were two floors and the windows were large and majestic with white window sills and small flower pots. Luhan looked up at Sehun in Chanyeol’s arms as Baekhyun was working the double lock. Sehun was still the same deathly pale shade but his wracking shivers had almost stopped which was a great relief. Luhan felt his chest loosen as his heart slowed to a steadier pound. Not even a drip of sweat marked Chanyeol’s face, he seemed perfectly at ease bearing the weight of the tall boy in his arms. A sort of weight settled onto Luhan’s heart, he could barely carry Sehun two meters to a bench without being short of breath and in need of a nap, what sort of friend was he?

After a moment or two more of fumbling they were let into the house. Luhan hovered outside the door as Baekhyun and Chanyeol walked inside, the latter turning to the side to avoid the classic movie mistake of hitting the injured person’s head on the door frame. Baekhyun looked back confused to see Luhan outside and hurriedly ushered him in through the door before closing it behind him with a sharp bang.

“Is Sehun alright? What do we do? Sorry to intrude…” Luhan was caught somewhere in the middle of his worry and his need to be polite. He slipped his shoes off and placed them neatly beside the wall, out of the way of being a tripping hazard.

“Luhan it’s fine.” Baekhyun assured him, “Come help us get him into the bath.” Okay, yeah, Luhan needed to help them to help Sehun. Wait…bath?”

“D-did you just s-say b-bath?” Luhan stuttered, his mouth dropping in shock.

“Yeah,” Baekhyun said as he tugged Luhan upstairs after Chanyeol and into the bathroom, “He needs to take a bath to get his temperature up before we can warm him by the fire. Channie, once you’ve put Sehun down, set the bath and make sure the fire is ready for later. Oh and prepare some warm clothes a woolly hat and slippers. Luhan, could you hold onto Sehun and stop him from falling over?” Luhan was impressed with Baekhyun as he took charge and delegated like only someone with practice could, but this was short lived as he focused on his task. Chanyeol sat Sehun on the edge of the bath tub and Luhan looped an arm around his chilled waist, nodding to Chanyeol when he had him held steady. In his still unconscious state Sehun’s head was resting floppily on Luhan’s shoulder, his warm breath ticking gently at his neck.

“Are you sure we don’t need to take him to the hospital or anything?” Luhan asked, his eyebrows furrowed in deep concern. Sehun had been unconscious for about 30 minutes now, that couldn’t be good.

“Sehun has a condition that means that he fells the cold like, really badly, I can’t really explain it. But this has a happened a few times, only once since I’ve been friends with him but Channie’s known him for years and the doctors have always given us clear instructions on what to do unless it is something unusual. So don’t worry, I promise he will be fine.” Luhan felt a little comforted but he couldn’t shift his worry. “Right, hold him up while I take off his clothes.”

Luhan balked as he registered Baekhyun’s words. Red pooled in his cheeks and his eyes widened to lanterns in his surprise. The fact that Sehun had to have a bath hadn’t clicked with Luhan until that moment that that would involve the removal of the younger’s clothes. His eyes remained wide and shocked as Baekhyun began to peel off Sehun’s thin blue shirt, followed by the black tank top below it. Luhan had to shift himself about for this to happen, keeping Sehun’s head supported. Once Baekhyun had gotten everything off of Sehun’s torso Luhan automatically settled his arm back around Sehun’s waist, his blush deepening and colouring even his ears as his fingers grasped as smooth, milky flesh. He tried not to think about the intimate contact as Baekhyun continued to pull of Sehun’s skinny jeans. Luhan tried to look away but he couldn’t help his eyes from raking along the younger’s long, toned and sinfully pale legs.

His heart began to pound hard and fast and his blush reached full steam as he clenched his eyes shut, his nose crinkling up. He peeked open one eye as he heard faint giggling, being met with Baekhyun’s smiling face. “I’m sure you’d rather otherwise but I’ll leave his boxers on. Sehunnie deserves some privacy at least.” Baekhyun said with another giggle. Luhan blushed even harder at having been caught at what he was thinking about.

“I-I wasn’t..” Luhan started, unsure of what he was going to say. He wasn’t a ert but he couldn’t stop his mind from wandering when he was sat holding a most perfect semi- boy with the face of a sleeping angel.

“I was only joking.” Baekhyun said, Luhan released his pent up breath. “Though you just seemed to prove my teasing to be righ.” Baekhyun said with an evil chuckle. Nope, Luhan would never breathe again. How could this boy be so lovely and yet so much like Chen? “Help me get him in the tub then.”

“Oh, yeah of course.” Luhan replied. He slid his hands under Sehun’s arms while Baekhyun grabbed his feet and the two of them managed to lower him into the hot, steamy water.

“Hmm,” Baekhyun said as he stood, clapping the water from his hands. “I think I need to go and help Channie, can you stay and make sure he doesn’t drown himself accidentally?”

“Uhh, yeah, okay.” Luhan said absent mindedly, his focus on the boy in the tub. He heard the bathroom door click shut and let out a gust of air. He slid down onto his knees and rolled up his jumper sleeves to the elbows. He gently lifted Sehun’s head so that it was resting on his arm rather than the cold hard tub, curling his hand around so that he could gently the younger’s cheeks which were slowly regaining their colour from the warmth of the bath. His other hand reached down into the water so that he could lace their fingers. The action was more to comfort himself than Sehun and the effect was a warm calm that swept over him, numbing his worry slightly.

Sehun’s long, thick lashes grazed against his alabaster cheeks with the beauty and grace of a white rose rocking in the wind. His thin, soft looking lips, slowly turning from blue to pink. Luhan was under the spell of the younger’s beauty and he was sure that nothing, no kisses from his prince charming or potions could revert this spell. He smiled lightly to himself and leaned down to press his lips to Sehun’s forehead before  sliding his nose gently over the spot with a smile. A slight splash and a shuffle. Sehun’s tongue flicked out to moisten his slightly dry lips as he eyelids fluttered open. Luhan felt his heart stutter as he looked into those wide, trusting eyes.

“Luhan hyung…?” 

 

A/N: Sorry that it has been mainly hunhan for a few chapters, if anyone minds then please tell me but it will go back to Baekyeol soon :)