Girl talk

The competition

 

After nearly 2 weeks, the separate components of the song had been completed and all that was left was to put them together and a hell of a lot of practice. They decided to record their voices onto the orchestral backing track so that they would be able to learn the dance without tiring themselves out by singing at the same time. The six boys were all cramped in the small recording box. They didn’t want to waste time by singing separately and then putting the various tracks together as they were only using it to practice dancing. Suho and Sehun were stood in the middle with Kai and Baekhyun on one side and Kyungsoo and Chanyeol on the other. Baekhyun could tell that Sehun and Suho were trying to keep the two couples apart to get the work done. Baekhyun looked up at Kai to see him trying to make faces at Kyungsoo. He would wink or bite his bottom lip and then pout when he realised that Kyungsoo was obscured by Sehun. Baekhyun playfully whacked him in the ribs.

“Ya, can’t you leave him alone for five minutes?” Baekhyun asked.

“Ani, he’s too damn y.” Kai replied with a lustful gaze in Kyungsoo’s direction. “Anyway, you’re just jealous.”

“What? I’m not jealous of you and Kyung.” Baekhyun was confused and tilted his head to one side.

“Yes you are, you’re jealous because me and Kyungie have something that you and Chan don’t have.” Kai said smugly.

“Oh?” Baekhyun asked, with one eyebrow raised. “And what is that?” Kai leant down so that he could speak to him without anyone hearing.

“.” Kai whispered into his ear. Baekhyun felt the heat in his face rise up as he whole face became painted with a deep crimson blush.

“We’ve only been going out for two weeks! I-I don’t…” Baekhyun stammered, looking at the ground to try and avoid Kai’s mocking looks. Unfortunately this wasn’t the greatest of ideas. As he aimed his gaze at the ground he noticed Chanyeol. There had been a problem with the wiring which was why they hadn’t started yet and Chanyeol, being good with computers, was trying to fix it. He was kneeling down on the floor, leaning on his elbows while scrutinising the electronics. His perfect bum was bouncing and swaying in the air as he worked and no matter how hard he tried, Baekhyun couldn’t stop staring. He gulped loudly and unconsciously his lips. He felt Kai chuckle beside him and unwillingly looked away from the he had been ogling.

“Yeah,” Kai said with a snort. “You don’t.” Baekhyun huffed and punched Kai on the arm with a scowl. Kai just continued to laugh until the electrics were all fixed and Chanyeol’s behind was unfortunately removed from Baekhyun’s view.

There were three microphones in the recording studio so they shared in pairs. Chanyeol flicked a few switches and the red light in front of them switched to green as the music began to play. The six of them sang their parts well and when they played it back they were all pleased with the outcome.

“Whoa, it thoundth really good guyth!” Sehun exclaimed when they listened to it.

“Yeah,” Suho agreed. “Especially for a quick version.”

“The backing track was incredible! I love the feel the orchestra gives it, it sounds so powerful and goes great with the lyrics.” Baekhyun said, watching happily as pride and warmth filled Chanyeol at the compliment.

“Thank you.” Suho said with a smug smile.

“Ya, hyung, you did nothing. We all know that Chanyeol did all of the work while you went shopping online for unicorn merchandithe.” Suho’s eyes widened and he yelled out, “Ya!” At the maknae before running after him. Sehun just laughed along with the others as he ran from his hyung. Baekhyun was glad that Suho’s obsession with Sehun’s lisp had passed because the two of them really did have the best brotherly relationship. Being that, like brothers, they loved to fight. Sehun circled around the four other boys, who were headed slowly for the practice room, at just faster than a jog. Suho ran behind him with a menacing glare while Sehun looked elated and care free.

“My…favourite…part…” Sehun panted as he ran around them, “Was when…he….couldn’t decide….between...a unicorn comb…or…unicorn boxers.” Suho lost it and full out sprinted after the laughing maknae, yelling at him to get back there right now. The two of them disappeared around the corner, yells still reverberating around the hall way. Baekhyun had to clutch at his stomach as tears oozed down his face, squeezing out from between his squinting eyes. He snorted and wheezed as his laughter over took him and he began to fall to his knees. Kai, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol were not in a much better shape than he was, all holding their aching bellies.

“Unicorn boxers.” Kyungsoo managed to force out while tears streamed down his own face. That made the four of them dissolve into even more manic laughter as they tried to crawl their way to the practice room, now incapable of walking without walking straight into a wall or falling to the floor.

“Okay right. I’ll show you the first sequence of 16 beats slowed down and then Sehun and I will do it together at the proper speed, then we’ll go slow again. We’ll master it 16 beats at a time and we don’t move on until we can do those 16 along with everything before. Okay?” Kai clapped his hands together and Baekhyun, along with the other 3 murmured their consent. Baekhyun was clad similarly to everyone else in tracksuit bottoms and a tank top. He flicked his hair from his eyes and focused on Kai.

“Right then. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.” Kai moved slowly so that the four of them could see what he was doing. The first few beats he was just sat with his knees on the floor, head down to the ground. As it progressed he raised one straight arm, slowly up into the air before his body followed his arm up and he stood with extreme fluidity. That was all that was included in the first 16 beats and Baekhyun, being a dancer also, felt sure he could master it easily. Kai pressed play on the remote and he and Sehun danced the first 16 beats at their intended pace, it was only the very beginning yet so much power was emanating from them as they moved.  

“Let’s do this.” Kai announced, once again clapping his hands together firmly.

Having spent 30 minutes after school in the recording studio and a further 2 hours in the dance studio by the time they finished it was already 6pm. All six of the boys were lying about the room, drenched in sweat and panting heavily. Baekhyun was lying with his head resting on Chanyeol’s stomach, while Chanyeol twisted his hair around his fingers. Baekhyun tried not to blush at how toned Chanyeol’s stomach felt underneath his head but when he recalled what Kai had been saying earlier he couldn’t hold back the red that was staining across his cheeks. Baekhyun looked up and accidentally caught Kai’s eye. Kai raised one eyebrow and winked suggestively before going back to gulping down his water. Kyungsoo was lying happily with his head in Kai’s lap, chest rising and falling quickly with his lack of oxygen.

Baekhyun sat up suddenly as he realised something. Earlier when he had been talking to Kai he had become side tracked when Kai had said about and then Chanyeol’s had totally stolen his attention. It had meant that he hadn’t noticed that Kai had said that what he was jealous of was something that he and Kyungsoo had done. So did that mean that Kai and Kyungsoo had had ? Baekhyun’s eyes widened in this realisation.

“Hyunnie?” Chanyeol asked, clearly confused at why Baekhyun had suddenly bolted upright. Chanyeol ran a finger down Baekhyun’s spine which was facing him and Baekhyun felt a shiver run through his body and couldn’t help the slight moan that the touch elicited from him. He turned to see Chanyeol’s eyes popping at his sensual reaction. Baekhyun coughed awkwardly and leaned down to kiss Chanyeol gently before getting up.

“I won’t be walking home today Channie. I need to talk to Kyung.” Baekhyun said as he swiped a hand across his forehead to collect the sweat. “See you tomorrow.” He smiled brightly and blew the tall, sprawled boy on the floor a kiss before marching over to where Kyungsoo and Kai where looking at each other’s faces as if they hadn’t eaten for months. Just as Kai started leaning down to Kyungsoo Baekhyun grabbed hold of Kyungsoo’s hand and hoisted him off of the floor. Kyungsoo’s eyes enlarged to twice their usual size with surprise, his lips still slightly puckered from his expected kiss.

“Ya! Byun Baekhyun you block! Give me my boyfriend back right now!” Kai yelled while Baekhyun just stuck his tongue out.

“That wasn’t a block it was a mouth block. And you two should thank me, at the rate you’re going by next week you won’t even have a mouth to complain with because Kyung here will have eaten it.” Kai glared at Baekhyun while he just poked out his tongue again. “Anyway, best friend allowance. Kyung and I need to have some girl talk.” Kyungsoo, who had been pouting up until that point, changed his expression to one of hopeful expectation.

“Girl talk?” He asked and started squealing and hanging off of Baekhyun’s arm when he nodded a reply. “Yay! Okay I’ll grab my bag and we can go to the usual place.” Kyungsoo bounded off for his bag and Baekhyun just smirked at the slack faced Kai who just stared after his boyfriend in shock. Kai was going to have to learn the power of gossip, cafes, coffee and sweet things when it came to Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. Especially in Kyungsoo’s case.