Summer Trip

Being Boyfriend's Best Friend

It had not even been a week into summer and your school decides to get together for a summer trip, already. It was to be a 3 day, 2 night trip in Jeju Island. Naturally, you and your friends agree to go. Instead of flying, which would cost a lot more, the school booked a cruise ship to ride there and back. 

 

It was a humid midnight. Jenny was over at your apartment and helped you pack. The two of you were to carpool to the port by 1:45 AM where the ship would depart at 2. Despite folding your clothes neatly, you couldn't help be excited and throw them in your suitcase. 

 

"Yah! Sohyun-ah, we don't have time to waste." Jenny laughed and threw a shirt back at you.

"Haha, mian," you chuckled and continued packing. 

 

Once you had your essentials, it was time to leave. You locked your door and made your way down. You stepped into the street to hail a cab while Jenny answered her phone. 

 

"It was L. Joe oppa. He said they're already there. Boyfriend oppas too. " she explained, shoving the device into her pocket. 

 

You nodded as the taxi pulled up. The driver took your bags and placed them in the trunk before re-entering and asking for the address. You handed him a paper with the address and he obliged. 

The ride was shorter than you both thought. Then again, it was 1 in the morning. But also, it was only 1 in the morning. Ah, whatever. You paid the driver, thanked him, and exited. 

You could make out the silhouettes of your classmates bunched together in front of a large mass of a ship. The dim street lights luminated the familiar faces of your friends, whom waved as soon as they saw you and Jenny. Rolling your bags, you made your way over to the ship. You all discussed what you were going to do once you arrived. From windsurfing to fishing to snorkeling, the ideas were endless.

Suddenly, the blaring ship horn sounded, signaling its time to board. Your fellow classmates cheered and rushed inside. Your group trailed behind. As the gentlemen they were, L. Joe and Hyunseong took your and Jenny's bag. The two of you chuckled and followed. 

Once on board, the captain announced that they were going to depart and to quickly find your designated rooms. Jenny grabbed your bags and hurried you to your room. The two of you were roommates, naturally. The boys, on the other hand, made their way to their cabins. Everyone was settled and the ship took off.

 

 

 

~

 

 

 

 

You were hungry and wide awake. Jenny had passed out earlier. She was sleeping soundly in her bed. You sighed silently. *Might as well get out of this room.* you thought to yourself, tip toeing out of your cabin. The ship slowly padded along the gentle waves of the night. The cresent moon was partially covered in clouds, yet visible enough.

You made your way down to the main deck and to the food. Fortunately for you, the cruise provided a 24 hour buffet service. Despite your thoughts of it being completely abandoned, there were actually a couple people. You shrugged, grabbed a plate, and went down the queue. 

Plate filled and with a drink, you searched for a comfortable seat. Just before you sat, you spotted food-monster Ricky munching away alone at a table. You chuckled to yourself and walked over. 

 

"May I join you?" you asked, sarcastically.

 

Ricky looked up and blushed a bit. He nodded shortly after wiping his mouth with a napkin. You laughed lightly and took a seat. It was a bit silent between you two due to being too busy dining. Nonetheless, you both managed some small talk about summer and music. 

Soon, you both finished your meals and Ricky put your plates away. You didn't plan on returning to your cabin and Ricky offered to stay with you.

 

"No, it's alright. Go get some rest." you shook your head and smiled.

 

He hesitated for a moment before giving you a side hug and walking off. To be honest, you wanted him to stay. But you knew he would need energy to have fun later today. You inwardly sighed and strolled over to the pool. Of course, absolutely vacant. 

You sat on the side and dipped your legs in. It cooled your body against the humidity. Leaned back with your arms as support, you breathed in the thick, salty air. The splashing of waves and breeze caused a relaxing ambiance. At the same time, light footsteps made their way toward you. You felt their presence to your right and heard them dip their feet. 

 

"Are you relaxed?" Kwangmin whispered. 

"Yeah."

You spotted, from the corner of your eye, his glance; "That's good. You've been stressed."

You were about to say something witty, and a bit rude, but decided against it.  

Instead, you sighed and ran a hand through your hair. "I know."

 

He frowned at you and looked down. *Better not mention it.* he thought. 

 

"Kwangmin-ah,"

"Uhh?" he blurted, startled.

"Mian, didn't mean to scare you."

"No, it's okay. What did you want?"

You paused. "Do you mind, singing for me?"

He remained silent.

"Or rapping if you feel more comfortable doing so." you quickly said.

"No, uh, I'll sing. What do you wanna hear?" 

"Anything, preferably soft, though."

 

He gave you a firm nod. After a second, he began. You recognized it as One Day by Boyfriend; one of your favorites. But that wasn't what caught your attention. This is the first time you've heard Kwangmin sing, instead of rap. It was similar to Youngmin's but much deeper and gentler. You could tell he was nervous due to his shaky notes. However, it was still soothing to your ears. 

You closed your eyes and hummed along, enjoying the song. Kwangmin peeked at you, seeming to like it. *Looks like I made a good choice.* He grinned to himself and continued the song. 

When he finished, you gave a tiny applause and another awkward silence settled. 

 

Shortly, he broke the silence; "What did you think?"

"I didn't know you could sing."

He chuckled, "I don't."

"Well, you're not bad. With practice, you could be really good."

He pondered for a moment, then shook his head. "Nah, I think I'll stick to rapping."

You snorted, which scared you and him, "Alright then."

 

And finally, for once, there was a comfortable atmosphere. Surprisingly, the two of you chatted away with ease. Before you both knew it, the sun was rising. You both stood up and headed to the bow for a better view. Sure enough, it was spectacular. Varying shades of oranges, yellows, and blues lit up the horizon. You couldn't see the island yet, however. 

Eventually, the two of you parted ways back to your cabins. 
 

 

 

 

 

Annyeong~

I don't know why, but it took me 2 days to write this.

I'm a really good at procrastinating, so that's probably why.

Anyway, I hope you lovelies are doing well.

I got a kitten! Her name is Arya, Ary for short. (Game of Thrones fans, yes Arya Stark)

For those who celebrate, Happy Independence Day!

Even if you don't celebrate, I hope you have/had a great day regardless xoxo

 

Ppyong~