Chapter 7

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

You retreated to your own room after Kai closed the door. Maybe Kai's just tired, you thought.
You closed your room's door and headed towards your bed. You looked at the time, it was only 3PM.
"Ah, homework." You reminded yourself. 
After a quick shower, you put your ear on Kai's room door. Nothing but total silence.
He's probably sleeping, you thought.

You started on your math homework, which you disliked a lot. 
Half an hour passed, then an hour, then 2 hours.
You slumped back onto your seat and stretched your arms, "Finally!"
You were proud of yourself as you managed to complete the set of questions.
Luckily, you managed to catch up with the other students, you thought.

It was almost dinnertime. You bit your lower lip as your stomach groaned.
You realized you haven't had anything to eat since yesterday. 
Should you get Kai? He should be hungry by now too..
The image of Kai looking so lifeless lingered in your mind. Did anything happen? You thought.
All the questions in your mind brought you to Kai's room, again.
How many times have you been standing here since you moved in already?

"Kai..?" You called out. "Let's have..dinner..?" Your voice was trailing off as you heard nothing but silence again.
What if he fainted in his room? What if he..? 
Your stomach growled loudly for the second time. "...Whatever!" You said, as you turned the door knob and made your way in.
Kai was sleeping soundly. However, his complexion looked terrible. 
You took cautious steps as you made your way towards him.
"Kai..? Are you alright?" You noticed Kai was shivering badly as you got closer.

Instinctively, you placed your palm on Kai's forehead. You got a shock by the overwhelming heat on Kai's forehead.
"KAI! You're burning! W-what to do?!" Your hands moved to Kai's neck as he let out a few coughs. 
Kai was definitely running a high fever.
Kai pursed his lips together as he tried to lift his hand up weakly. "...Go. I'll be fine." he said in an almost inaudible voice.
He coughed for a few times before repeating himself, "Just go." 

Kai didn't want you to see him in that state. He was depressed enough after what happened earlier.
Kai watched as you hastily made your way out of the room. 
He felt relieved as he tried to go back to sleep. Kai was sure that he would be able to get well after a good sleep.
Don't worry, ____.. Kai thought as he fell into slumber.

You ran to the kitchen to look for medicine. There wasn't any medicine at home. 
Kai.. you didn't like to see him sick. It made you feel hurt for some reason. 
"Why isn't there any medicine at home?!" You yelled in frustration. 
You grabbed a small towel and prepared a large bowl with cold water in it. 
Hugging the bowl in your left arm and holding onto the towel in another, you quickened your pace and rushed upstairs.
Kai, please get well, please don't be sick.. You tried not to worry, but you couldn't help it.

You placed the bowl on Kai's table and soaked the towel in the cold water.
After making sure that it was tightly squeezed, you folded it into a rectangular shape and carefully placed it on Kai's forehead.
"Kai, don't take this off. It will lower your temperature." You said as you placed the back of your palm on Kai's neck.
It was still burning hot. 
Why didn't Kai say anything..? You mentally blamed yourself, knowing that you could have prevented it earlier when you first saw his listless expression.
"Sorry.." You mumbled. You were almost close to tears now, as you watched Kai cringe in pain.
"A-are you having a headache? I-I'll go get painkillers n-now! I'll be back, Kai!" You ran to your room and grabbed your wallet.

Nearest convenient store.. nearest convenient store.. You only thought about finding painkillers for Kai as you roamed aimlessly on the streets.
You should have familiiarized yourself with the neighborhood, you thought, reprimanding yourself. 
Your eyes scanned through the shops quickly, "There!" You sighed in reiief, running to a brightly lit convenient store.
"The.. can I have medicine for fevers? And for headache, and.. and painkillers." You panted heavily at the counter.
The cashier stared at you blankly as she nodded and took the stuff for you. 
"Total would be 20000won." She said. You grabbed the plastic bag and put a 50000won note on the table.
"Thank you!" You bowed. "Keep the change!" 

Upon reaching home, you rushed to the kitchen. "Medicine..medicine.. water." You uttered to yourself.
Holding onto a glass of water and different types of medicine, you scurried upstairs again.
"Kai, sit up. Eat this and then drink water!" You helped Kai as he slowly sat up.
You rummaged through the bag and took out the medicine for fever. You popped 2 pills in your palm and held the glass of water.
"You must get well soon, Kai." You said as Kai obediently parted his lips as he ate the fever medicine. 
Kai's complexion looked horrible, you realized, as you helped him drink up.

You touched the towel on Kai's head as he lay down again. It was cold earlier but now it's warm already.
Immediately, you took the towel off him and soaked in the cold water again. 
"..You must get well soon." Your voice sounded more like a cry. Kai flinched slightly at the coldness on his forehead.
Your hunger seemed to have disappeared to nowhere as you watched Kai attempt to sleep
He was still shivering, so you went to your room and took your thick blanket and covered it on him.

Kai felt so much more comfortable as he gave a faint smile. 
Thank you, ____.. Kai thought. 
All these while, Kai always had to take care of himself whenever he fell ill, since his parents would never be home.
A small tear rolled down Kai's face, on the side away from you. Thank you, ____.. my..
sister.

You watched as Kai's breathing slow down, and he wasn't shivering anymore. 
However, he was still running a fever. You went to the kitchen to get more cold water again.
You looked at the time. It was almost midnight. You yawned as you went back to Kai's room. 
It was the 7th time you had re-soaked the towel in cold water. Kai's fever was getting better gradually as time passed.
You continue staring at Kai, as he slept without a sound. It reminded you of that day when you touched his face and he woke up, startling you.
You smiled as you remembered the way Kai teased you with his words. 

You pointed at Kai, "Are you.. trying to take advantage of me?" You imitated the way Kai spoke, and his exact expression when he said that.
Kai didn't respond. You jabbed a finger on his arm. "Is that so, Kai?" You said, trying to imitate his gaze.
Kai's gaze always had this gentle, yet mysterious feeling, making you unable to completely tell what he was thinking.
Unless, well, when he was with the other oppas. His eyes were still gentle, but it felt so much more.. alive. You missed that side of him.
Wait, you thought. Why do you remember word for word what Kai had said before? 

Maybe.. you thought. Just maybe.. 
NO! You hit your head hard. "Brother. ____. Brother." You said. 
Just then, you remembered of what Kris said in school. 

"Because I like you, don't you remember?"
"But now, it's the other way round. I have to fight for someone... You."
"Keep in mind that I won't give up on you. Ever."

You touched the towel on Kai's forehead. It was still cold. 
You went back to your room as you looked for the piece of paper Kris passed to you before you went back to class.
"Oh. Its here." Your hands reached a crumbled piece of paper. Inside it was a set of digits.
Was this Kris's handphone number? Why did he give you his number? Its not like you have a handphone anyway..
Maybe I should get one, you thought. It would be easier for you to contact other people when you needed to. 
You made a mental note to yourself to buy one tomorrow after school.

Suddenly, you thought of the people at the orphanage. The head of Seoul Orphanage, and the younger kids especially.
You wondered if they have been adopted yet, and if they have been eating well, or if they have been listening to the adults.
You made another mental note, which is to visit the orphanage soon.
Although Mom and Dad are overseas, you are glad that you still have loving and kind people around you.
Chanyeol, Suho, Baekhyun, D.O, Sehun. All the caring oppas. Kai.. especially.

But Kai was ill. It was partly your fault for not attending to him earlier. 
You sighed as you went back to Kai's room. "Sorry.." you mumbled to yourself. 
Your fist carried the weight of your head as you rested your arm on Kai's table. 
A yawn escaped through your mouth, indicating that your body needed rest. Of course, you couldn't, you had to look over Kai until he gets well.
There isn't anyone but you at home to take care of him.

A sudden thought entered your mind. Who took care of him when he fell ill then?
Then it struck you. Mom and Dad were hardly around.. Did he.. suffer himself? Alone? At home..?
No wonder Kai had felt lonely. There wasn't anyone to be there for him during times like this. 
"..Kai.. you are such an idiot." You sighed as you rested your palm gently on Kai's cheek.
All you wanted now was Kai to get well, nothing else. You yawned again for the second time. 
..Get well soon.. The words remained in your mind as your heavy eyelids slowly drooped. 

 

* * *

Kai slowly woke up as the sunlight shone through the windows. His hand flew to his right temple as a splitting headache caught him.
"O-ouch.." Kai tried to sat up, his whole body aching. How long has he been sleeping?
He noticed a towel fall from his forehead as he sat. Kai ruffled his messy hair, as he tried to remember what happened yesterday.
"____." Kai finally recalled. He turned to see you sleeping in an uncomfortable position as you lie on the edge of his bed.
Kai blinked a few times. You slept in this ridiculous position the entire night? How-
Kai got himself out of bed as he scooped you up effortlessly. He then placed you on his bed as you continued to sleep, not knowing anything.
"Thank you.. sister." Kai murmured. He covered you with his blanket as he took your blanket and went to your room.

Kai neatly folded your blanket and placed it on your bed. Not bad.. he thought, as he looked around your room. 
A crumpled piece of paper on your table caught Kai's attention. He picked it up and saw a set of numbers, and below it was written 'Kris'.
Kai felt the rage coming back to him again. Did Kris do it to you yesterday? Kai glared at himself in the mirror. 
"Kris.. you bastard.. If you did anything to ____, I'm going to kill you." Kai swore under his breath. 

 

* * * 

You jumped in shock as you woke up. The glaring afternoon sun was already up. "KAI!" You shouted.
You had a bad dream that Kai fell into a coma because of his high fever, and Mom and Dad was utterly disappointed in you. 
"Luckily, it's just a dream," You placed a hand on your chest. 
This is odd.. you thought. Why am I sleeping on Kai's bed? Where is he..? You quickly got up and went out of the room.
"Kai?" You shouted. No answer. You smelt an aroma coming from downstairs. 
On the dining table, you saw take-away lunch and a note. You grabbed the note which says, 
"Eat this, your stomach was growling so noisily this morning. Bet you didn't have dinner. Today is a school holiday. I'm going out for a while. Thank you for taking care of me last night. p/s: I asked for extra meat, you carnivore. pp/s: Eat well -Your brother, Kai."

School holiday? You thought. You opened the take-away lunch and saw that it was bibimbap. 
You squealed in delight as you ran to the toilet to wash up before eating. 

* * *

Kai stood at the school entrance as he waited for Kris to appear.
He was determined to talk to Kris today, about you. Kai had prepared to do whatever if Kris had really laid his hands on you.
Luhan saw Kai from afar as he tugged Kris's sleeve. "Hyung. It's ____'s brother." 
Kris, who hadn't seen you in school today, already had worry in him. Kris thought he should ask Kai about you.
"Go on first. I've to talk to him." Kris said as he went towards Kai alone. 

"Why didn't ____ come to sc-" 
Kai simply cut Kris off immediately, "What did you do to ____ yesterday? Haven't I warned you to stay away from her?" 
Kris was slightly intimated by Kai's tone, but he didn't have thoughts of backing down.
"I just told her about me. I thought  she needed to know." Kris said calmly.
Kai felt his fever rising. "Told what?"
"You know. My past." Kris admitted.

Fear struck Kai as he listened. Does that mean that you know about Kris? Kai thought. 
"Why would you do that?" Kai clenched his teeth tightly.
A few seconds of silence passed. Kris finally replied, "Because, I like her."
Kai's eyes widened as he heard Kris say that. 
Kris continued, "It's nothing I've ever felt, Kai. Do you know the feeling?"

Kai was at a loss of words as he looked at Kris. He didn't have the same aura as before.
In the past, Kris treated the girls like toys but now, he's rambling on about his feelings for a girl.. you.
Kai's anger for Kris, he couldn't find the reason for it anymore. 
Kris noticed Kai's silence. "I guess you've never experienced it before, right Kai?"
"I know what you mean." Kai said. You were the one who made him experience it for the first time as well.
"She's alright, right? ____." Kris asked. Kai nodded. He watched as Kris's expression became less tensed. 
Kai could never believe a day like this would arrive. Kris would actually have real feelings for a girl.
"Don't worry. I won't eat her up. If you know what I mean." Kris assured. 

Kai didn't mind letting you go if Kris didn't have the intention to hurt you. 
As long as you are happy, Kai would do anything. Not because he's your brother, but because you mean so much to him more than just a sister.
..As long as you are happy.
"If you ever hurt her-" Kai said in a menancing voice. 
Kris nodded, "I know. I'll suffer the most."
Kai turned around and walked away with a heavy heart. Now that Kris has a good intention, Kai didn't have any reasons to fight back.
Especially so since Kai was supposedly your brother. 
Just a brother.

 

* * *

a/n: This must be my longest chapter yet! Oh gosh, do keep the comments coming! You guys are like my personal happy viruses (CHANYEEEEOL) with your comments. And new readers, feel free to comment too! 
There's a rumour that exo will be going to thailand for a fansign? I feel like flying over for them *CRIES* :( 
Anyway, here's some of my fav Kai gifs wahahaha 


 

Oh and I'm looking for a good poster maker(?)
I realized there's something called a poster in some fics and I'd really LOVE to have one but I have no idea who to request...

Any tips? <3