Chapter 41

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

 

“This is the first time a girl came to our dorm.” Kai mumbles as you adjust his tie for him. He’s crisp, fresh, formal, and he looks perfectly stunning in his tuxedo that compliments his styled hair well.
“And?”
Kai frowns, “Don’t you feel special?”
“But you guys moved in here not long ago.”
“Right.” Kai gives a tight smile, realizing that it’s not really that special actually. “Done,” you grin at Kai as you brush off the dust speckles from his broad shoulders.
“Please do this more often. I like it.”
You arch a brow, “What do you like?”
“You adjusting my tie for me,” Kai looks at you with his dark doe-like eyes. “It feels like we’re a married couple and I’m about to leave for work.”
“So I’m the meticulous wife that makes sure her husband looks perfect?” You laugh at Kai’s imagination, but in a way, it’s true, it does feel like that.
Kai simply smiles as he leads you out of his room. “Let’s go.”
“Bye Kai, bye Wen!” the others greet before you and Kai leave the dormitory.

* * *

Appa’s expression is grim as he instructs the chauffeur on the directions to the location of your mother’s grave. You and Kai sit at the back of the car in comfortable silence as you lie on Kai’s shoulder.
You idly wonder how it would be like if your mother was still alive… will she be a motherly figure to you? A role model?
“A penny for your thoughts?” Kai murmurs. You shake your head smiling. “It’s nothing. Why do you want to join us anyway?”
He shrugs, “I guess I just wanted to meet the woman that gave birth to the girl I love the most.”
Oh. Butterflies gather in your belly and you grin helplessly. It’s the Kai effect!
After a long hour, the car finally halts to a stop. The place is rather forested, probably near the countryside. The calm serenity of the area soothes you quickly.
Kai takes your hand as the both of you follow Appa as he trudges north.

Appa stops, and there you see a neat tombstone, probably regularly cleaned up. Park Jiseun, it reads. That’s your mother.
A grey, almost fading picture is above the engraved words. Holy, you look so much like her!
How would it be like if she was still alive…?
Kai gives your hand a squeeze, and you nod to assure him that you are fine.
“I brought our daughter here, Jiseun-ah.” Appa says, a trace of sorrow in his voice. “She’s grown up well.”
You watch as he talks to your mother about his health, and how he misses her.  He doesn’t sound like the Lee Soo Man that you know. This side of him is empathetic and loving, more human-like. This is your father – he has feelings and emotions.
And he never shows this side to anyone except infront of your mother.
“I’ll wait for you in the car.” Appa says as he turns away, heading to where the car is.

“He’ll be fine.” Kai assures. He takes a step forward to your mother’s tombstone and does a polite bow while you follow suite.
“Hello, I’m Kai.” He says, his voice shaky. Is he nervous? “Thank you for giving birth to Wen, thank you so much.”
No, no, no, what is Kai saying? You feel a lump forming in your throat as he continues.
“She’s a bright, promising girl… and she changed my life. So, thank you.”
“H-hi.” You stutter. Now you understand why Kai sounded like that. “Do I call you omma? Hello, omma, I’m your Wen.... We haven’t met before, but-“ You swallow. “I wish we did. I’ve always imagined how my mom will be like.”
You pause and place the flowers on the ground.
“I’ll take good care of her, I promise.” Kai says, his tone is chillingly serious.
You smile, “Don’t worry about me, omma.”

* * *

“Okay. Good. Repeat the entire choreography for 4 more times.” The dance instructor says. 4 more times?!
Kai is being held back due to missing 3 hours of practice earlier… maybe you shouldn’t have let him join you to visit omma.
Kai gives you an ‘I’m okay’ signal as the music starts again. He’s obviously worn out. You can’t help but feel like throwing forks at the dance instructor, can’t he give Kai a break?
“Your moves have to be more precise, Kai. You are going to be the main dancer for EXO, you cannot afford to be lazy.” He rambles on. How annoying.
You sit at the corner of the dance studio, hoping that the crazy dance instructor will start being sane and let Kai rest.
Of course, Kai being Kai, he was able to finish 4 times of the choreography. You can’t help but feel so much pride for this boy.
Watching Kai doing the thing that he enjoys the most, knowing that he’s a step closer to his dream… its heartwarming.
Thankfully, Appa has decided to void the schedule he set up for you, if not you probably wouldn’t be able to be here, it’s almost 1AM.

“Keep up the good work, Kai.” The dance instructor says as he leaves through the door. You quickly scramble on your feet as Kai falls to the ground in fatigue.
He laughs as he lies on the ground entirely knocked out, probably to assure you. But you don’t need that.
“Let’s go back now. You need rest.” You nudge Kai’s side.
Without a warning, he pulls you down so that you are lying on his chest that’s heaving up and down from his panting.
Poor, poor, Kai. Now you are really regretting making him go through this extra practice. He could have went to rest with the others long ago.
Not wanting to retaliate, you continue lying on Kai as he your hair gently.
He seems to be deep in thought as well.
“You know what?” Kai utters. “Let’s get married.”
What?! You instantly sit up, looking down at him in disbelief. “Married?!”
“Not now of course, silly.” Kai grins, staring at the ceiling with his dreamy eyes. “I’ve thought through about it.”

Thought through about what? Marriage?
“I want everyone to know that you are mine.” Kai says in a determined voice.
You sigh, shaking your head, “They already do, Kai.”
“I want you to officially belong to me.”
Oh. Officially belonging to Kai? It sounds… nice.
Abruptly, Kai sits up as well. He looks at you, his eyes gleaming in hope. Those eyes!
“I’ve promised your mother that I will take good care of you.” He reminds. “And I fully intend to carry out that promise.”
Kai oh Kai… Your heart swells up hearing his words.
“Well,” Kai shrugs. “I’m just letting you know.”
“I haven’t agreed.” You frown. Although you understand where Kai is coming from, but isn’t it a little bit too sudden?
Kai cups your cheek with his palm, your face lovingly. “After I debut, I probably won’t have time for you. But I want you to know that even if a thousand years have passed, I still want you to be mine.”
Oh Kai. Where did he get all this confidence?

“We won’t get to see each other, would we?” You ask in a timid voice. The answer is already obvious to you.
Kai shakes his head sadly. “But like I said, I’ll still love you. Nothing’s going to change that.” He gazes at you apprehensively, “I don’t know about you though. Will you wait for me?”
Yes. Of course you will. What will you do without Kai in your life? “…Of course. How can you even have doubts about that?”
Kai smiles, a smile that is dazzling and sincere. He leans in slowly, and his lips find its way to yours, moving gently. Those luscious lips! How long it has been!
You wrap your arms around Kai’s neck as the both of you kiss slowly, passionately, savouring each other with the same longing.
Kai grins, breaking the kiss. “I missed this.”
“Me too,” You say as you pull Kai back.

 * * *

Upon reaching back to the dorm, you notice a black envelope on the table next to your bed. An invitation letter?
“You are invited to Kris’ birthday party this Sunday. – Kris’ friends (because the birthday boy never bothers to plan anything for his own birthday)”
Oh. It’s Kris’ birthday this week? Next to your letter is another letter, but it’s addressed to Hye Ri.
You figure that you are supposed to pass the letter to her tomorrow in school.
Kris’ birthday… sounds interesting. It’s probably going to be a lot of fun.
Just then, your phone vibrates.

“Did my girl get back safely? – Kai @ 1.21AM”

My girl… when will Kai stop it with the cheesiness?

“Of course. Did you receive an invitation letter to Kris’ birthday party? – Wen @ 1.23AM”
“Uh huh. All of us were invited. I suppose you too? – Kai @ 1.24AM”
“Yeah, and there’s one for Hye Ri too. – Wen @ 1.26AM”
“I’m not surprised. They like to talk about her during practice. – Kai @ 1.28AM”
“Who wouldn’t? I would too if I were a guy. – Wen @ 1.30AM”
“Well, I’d rather talk about you. Anyway, you ought to sleep. Please don’t reply me anymore. Goodnight, and I love you. Always. – Kai @ 1.32AM”

* * *

“They did?” Hye Ri says as she scans the invitation letter. “Cool. Will you be attending?”
You nod in reply. “Let’s go together!”
Hye Ri tucks the letter in her bag, “Sure! Should we get something for him?”
Oh, right, he needs a birthday present. What do you give someone who can easily afford anything he wants?
“Are you really okay with going to the party?” You ask carefully. Kris had never been in Hye Ri’s good books.
“I guess he’s not as bad as I thought,” Hye Ri admits.
You sigh in relief, knowing that the tension between Hye Ri and Kris has been eased significantly. It’s never easy to be the awkward middle-man.
You and Hye Ri head down to town to look for something to give Kris for his birthday.
Honestly, you don’t have the slightest idea of Kris’ likes and dislikes, despite him being one of the closest person to you.

“Should we get him clothes?” You murmur as the both of you walk past a shop that sells guy apparels. One of the mannequins is wearing a navy blue cardigan that you think Kris might look good in. Actually, he looks good in anything.
Hye Ri shakes her head, her expression perplexed. “I don’t think that he needs clothes.” Suddenly, she stops infront of a travel agency.
What?
“Come on,” Hye Ri winks as she pulls you in.
“Hello, this is Cosmojin travel agency, how can I help you?” The sleek looking lady at the counter greets in an operator-like voice.
Hye Ri gazes up at all the different pictures of scenery from all parts of the world. There’s the Eiffel tower from Paris, the Taj Mahal and even the Stonehedge from the United Kingdom.
You gasp when you see the exorbitant prices next to the countries of destination. “I guess,” Hye Ri sighs. “The best buy would be to good old Jeju island.”
You quickly nod in agreement.
“2 plane tickets to Jeju island.” Hye Ri says.

“Why Jeju island?” You ask, while paying for one of the ticket.
Hye Ri beams as she pays her share. “Kris just seems like the kind to be too occupied by the adult life he’s been thrown into. I guess Jeju island would make a good getaway for him.”
It’s true, everyone has high expectations from Kris, even until now when he’s taken a 180-degree change, he’s still expected to do everything well.
You remember the CEO tone that he has whenever he’s clad in his suit and tie that he’s obviously uncomfortable in, but unable to express it.
Thankfully he has chosen to put that on hold for now. A gift like that would mean so much more to Kris rather than a material possession.

“We should go to the party together,” You offer. Hye Ri doesn’t know anyone attending the party, except you probably you, Kai and Kris.
“Cool!” Hye Ri grins, “Your place or my place? Damn it’s been a while since I’ve attended a party.”
“Your place. So I’ll bring my stuff there on Sunday?” You’re not sure if Hye Ri would be allowed in the dormitory anyway.
After deciding on the details like time and venue to meet, you and Hye Ri split ways.

You make your way back to the dormitory as you decide to make a call to Kai. Somehow, you miss him already.
“Hello~” You say.
“Hi, love,” Kai replies. You can hear him smiling. “How was school?”
“Good.” You giggle like a young teenager in love. Wait. You are one. “I miss you.”
“Me too.” Kai says briefly. You can hear someone’s voice in the background, telling Kai to hurry.
“I’ve got to go. I’ll call you as soon as I get a break.” He sounds rushed now. “Bye Wen.”
Before you could even reply, the phone line goes dead.

An uncomfortable feeling fills you… Is this how it’s going to be like after Kai debuts, or perhaps even worse?
No, Wen, don’t be so pessimistic! You have to trust Kai.
...Kai’s love for you.