Chapter 17

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

You groan loudly. Maybe you shouldn’t have taken dinner, and maybe Kai and you should have left the orphanage earlier.
It’s near to midnight, and you are still undone with your pile of mathematics homework. You are sleepy, and the cooling night breeze is not helping.
“____. You can do this!” You chant. You totally need some sort of motivation to keep you awake now.
The next question got you stumped, again. “This .” You mutter.
Kai is probably deep in his sleep now. He literally wolfed down the heavy dinner earlier.
You decide to get yourself a hot drink before you continue with the last set of questions… also the toughest questions. Of course.

You head downstairs. No lights are on, and it is pitch dark. Where’s the switch for the lights?
You run your hand along the wall aimlessly, in hope that you can find the switch.
“Can’t you see in the dark?” A deep voice says. It is Kai. His voice resonates clearly, but you cannot see him.
It is like as though the darkness engulfed everything in sight.
“Obviously not.” You reply sharply. “Lend me a hand?” You say into the darkness.
Kai drags your hand gently and you finally feel the switch.
You quickly turn the lights on, and standing infront of you is Kai.
His hair is utterly messed up, and he’s wearing nothing but a pair of old trunks.

You blush slightly, diverting your gaze elsewhere. “Kitchen,” you say. It’s a reminder, and an excuse.
Kai watch you walk to the kitchen, “Why are you still awake?” He asks.
You look for a cup. “Homework,” You answer, your voice dead. “And you?”
Kai ruffles his hair and yawns. “I just woke up from my nap. That dinner knocked me out.”
“Oh.” How nice. You wish you can snuggle up in your own bed and sleep too.
You cup your hands around the hot beverage, making your way out of the kitchen.
You take a seat at the dining table, and Kai takes the one opposite you.
“Someone sounds tired. What homework do you have?” Kai asks.
It is partly his fault for taking you to the orphanage earlier. It makes him feel a bit of guilt.

“Mathematics. It’s the last set of questions.” You groan again.
Kai gives you an uh-oh look.
You avoid eye contact with Kai, lest your eyes wander to his body instead, and you don’t want Kai to catch you doing that.
“Quickly finish your drink,” Kai orders. Why is he so naggy…?
You peek at Kai, burying most of your face in the cup.
Kai’s tousled hair under the warm chandelier light seems so attractive… you blush again. Kai pretends not to know, and he runs his finger through his hair.
He smirks, and you feel something in you die off. Wait, why is Kai even affecting you like this-

Kai yawns for the second time. Is he going to accompany you until you finish your drink? Looks like it.
“You can go back to bed, Kai. I’ll go back to my room after I finish my drink,” You say.
You know Kai’s energy is drained as well. He had spent so much energy on the kids earlier.
Kai shakes his head, “Just hurry and finish your drink.”
It’s quiet between you and Kai. The silence isn’t awkward though, it is more of a comfortable silence, one that makes people feel at ease.
You finish the drink and wash the cup thoroughly.

“Done?” Kai looks up at you, his eyes drooping. He stands up and takes in a huge breath. “Homework.”
Without a word, Kai takes your hand and pulls you upstairs. Of course, he didn’t forget to turn off the lights.
You blindly follow Kai as he drag you back to your room.
Kai picks up all the books on your table with his other hand, and pulls you again, to his room this time.

Kai carefully places the books on his table. He takes out a chair and sits you on it.
“You could have said nicely instead of dragging me around like a rag doll, you know?” Your lips press into a straight line.
Kai shrugs, “I don’t know. It feels like if I don’t pull you, you’re going to trip and fall on your way upstairs.”
You wish you could throw a book at Kai. The way he speaks, his expression, his voice, everything. It’s all very airy and aloof.
What’s the word for it? Blasé, yes, blasé.
But despite that, he still seems interested. You cannot tell, actually. Kai is probably the weirdest person you have ever met.

Kai looks at you as you stare blankly at the math questions. “Do it!”
You turn to him with a pleading look. His gaze softens, but is masked by the fatigue in his eyes.
Kai takes the book and scans through the questions. “I’ve never listened in class but...”
He his lips and snatches the pen in your grasp. “If dy/dx is the derivative of y, and y equals to x to the power of 2…”
You lean in to see Kai scribbling equations at lightning speed.
Kai smirks, catching you off guard. He flips the pages to the last part, where the answers are.
“I got it correct,” Kai beams, his eyes gleaming.

You cannot contain your shock, “But… How…?”
Kai thoroughly explains the steps to you once. He frowns when you request for a repeat, but gives in anyway.
“Get it?” Kai sighs. You nod profusely. “Thanks, Kai.”
You take your book back from him. Now that Kai had explained it to you, you are able to answer the other questions much more easier now.
Kai rests his head on the edge of the table, fighting his desire to sleep.
“How many questions left?” He asks, his voice trailing off.
“Two,” You answer. You hear soft breathing sounds, and you realize Kai fell asleep.

Kai’s expression is mellow, gentle. He didn’t have to push himself so hard when he’s already so worn out.
You frown. He’s not going to like it when he wakes up the next morning.
You quickly finish up the last two questions. “Finally,” You heave a sigh of relief.
Kai still remains asleep. That expression of his strongly draws you in, for some unknown reason.
“Why can’t you look like this all the time?” You mumble to yourself.
You trace with your fingers the dark eye circles that are hovering under his eyelids. He must be really tired.

“I’ll just look at you for a while more,” You stifle a yawn and rested your head on the table facing Kai’s sleeping face.
Your eyes close slowly.

* * *



The next morning, Kai wakes up to see you asleep, only a few inches away from his face.
He blinks, absorbing the situation. 
Kai feels the soreness on his back and neck, but the sight of you sleeping makes him reluctant to get up.
He swallows, gathering all the courage he has. He places his hand on your cheek, and then moves to the back of your head.
Kai slowly leans in. What is he going to do? He is unsure himself.

Now it’s just an inch away. Kai can hear you breathing. His eyes are wide, adrenaline pumping through his blood.
Kai’s lips curve up slightly. He presses his forehead against yours for a brief moment, and then he quickly sat up.
He stabilizes his breathing. It is too dangerous, but he liked how close he was to you.

Kai stands up, aching and sore. You probably will feel the same as well, and Kai doesn’t want that to happen. 
“Time for school.” Kai says. “____..., Wake up.”
You stretch, rub your eyes, and realize that you had fell asleep on Kai’s table.
“Ouch…” You feel the strained muscles on your back.
Kai helps you up, and the doorbell rings. Who could it be?
Kai looks at you and shrugs. You follow him behind as he heads to the door.

“Who is it?” You ask. Kai stands at the door, motionless.
You look over his shoulder to see your Mom and Dad, with their luggage that seems to have doubled over the trip.
“Mom! Dad!” You run to them. Mom hugs you warmly. 
“Why are you back so early?” You ask, unable to hide your happiness.
Dad chuckles, “We miss the both of you, so we came back as soon as we got the matters settled over there.”
Kai scowls. He doesn't know what to feel.
Somehow, he has a bad feeling about his parents’ early return.

“Did you take good care of her, Kai?” Mom asks. You answer her question by nodding.
Kai remains silent, standing rigidly.
“That’s good to know,” Mom smiles. “And… Kai, ____-ah, you don’t have to go to school today. We have something planned for you.”
Kai raises an eyebrow. Something planned for them? This is getting suspicious.
“What did you plan?” Kai finally says, his tone cutting.
You hate this side of Kai, the cold and brutal side of him. You know he is not really like this, especially just yesterday...
“Oh, it’s nothing much.” Mom senses Kai’s hostility. She simply smiles.
“We’re just bringing the both of you to meet the family of the Wu Corporation in China... their son, especially.”
Wu Corporation? Their son? You blink twice.

Kai stiffens. He knew something wasn’t right. Wu Corporations? Kai immediately know what it means.
He clenches his fist, unsure of what to do or say.
Maybe… this is the main reason why his parents decide to adopt you. The veins on Kai’s arm protrude out.
Kai inhales deeply, his anger overwhelming him.
“The son of Wu Corporation?” You ask, in a soft voice. 
Dad nods. “Wu Corporation is very renowned in the industry. We met the founders at a global meeting recently, and we thought maybe we should bring our kids to meet each other.” He winks. “They are very, very lovely people.”

Lovely. Kai glowers at the word.
“Oh.” You reply. Mom taps her finger on your nose, “Their son is really charming. He’s Korean, don’t worry!”
Dad adjusts his glasses, “Kai, if you don’t feel like coming, its fine as well. We know how much you dislike going-“
“I’m going.” Kai replies. “What time is the flight?”
Mom stares at Kai in surprise. It is the first time he agrees so readily to joining them for their overseas trip.
“Tonight. We’ll have to be at the airport by 8PM," she says.

Kai nods, and retreats back into the house.
Why do it seem like Kai knows something, and you don’t?
“You will like him, I’m very sure of that.” Mom assures upon seeing your worried face.
You subtly nod, your stomach feeling queasy all of the sudden. 

* * *

Author's Note:

Hi guys! New chapter up! 
You guys should already know what will happen next, don't you? ;]
Do leave comments!! I enjoyed reading each and every single comment so much T_T 
<3333