Chapter 29

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

The noisy chatter in school brings you back to reality.

It feels like ages since the last time you came to school, and the past few days has simply been out of the world.
The China trip, the incident with Kris, the beach villa getaway with Kai, and the fond memories during your stay...
You smile unknowingly as you and Kai walk through the hallway.He had insisted on walking you to your class, despite it meaning that he will be undeniably late.
“A penny for your thoughts?” Kai observes your expression.
A few female students at the lockers are looking at you and Kai. It’s uncomfortable, but for some unknown reason it makes you feel good too.
“Your class is at the other wing of the school.” You frown. Kai dodges a student who almost bumps into him.
“I know.”
Jeez, talk about being stubborn.

“They are siblings, aren’t they? ... ...They actually look good together… I heard she’s adopted… … What? Adopted? … …She rejected Kris too.” The students are standing there and discussing freely about you, watching you like a zoo animal making your way through.
Not again, not this feeling... A surge of discomfort washes through.
Kai flinches as he notices your fingers playing with the hem of your skirt nervously.
He grabs your hand and his pace quickens, bringing you away from the students.
This is just exactly like when Kris confessed. Finally, you and Kai arrive at your classroom.

Some of your female classmates squeal upon setting their eyes on Kai.
No! Stop looking at him like that!
Kai ignores them, to your relief. You notice something is amiss.

 

At the corner of the class, it is completely empty. Usually at least a few of the guys will be there… At least Xiumin or Luhan, since they are the earliest. But nobody was there. Kai looks at you, puzzled. “What’s wrong?”
You shake your head. “Nothing.” Kai gives a brief smile before letting go of your hand. “I’ll see you later.”
“See you,” you reply.
You trudge to your seat in silence as your female classmates are still hyped up after seeing Kai.

“He’s so gorgeous! We should get her to bring him here more often…” You hear them squeal again.
The chairs around you are all occupied by nothing but an empty space. Your first instinct is to contact them, but who? Oh, wait. Didn’t Kris say that he would have to settle some school matters? He’s probably quitting school…

Okay, mystery solved for Kris, Sherlock.
But what about the rest? They can’t possibly have left school as well, could they?
The day drags on painfully slow. Nobody bothered to talk to you, well, except for some of the female classmates who bought you lunch. They approach you during the last lesson.
“What does Kai like?” One of them asks. “I’m Hwayoung, by the way!”
You munch on the chicken sandwich. “Hello. Kai? He likes dancing.” Your tone is bland. And he likes me.
“Everyone knows that.” She rolls her eyes. What!
“Other than dancing? Does he exercise? Does he like reading? What is his favorite color?” Oh. It strikes you that you have no idea what Kai likes, but yet he knows everything about you.
“He only likes dancing.” You sigh. “He cooks, too.”
“He cooks!” They squeal for the third time today. It’s getting annoying. Thankfully, the school bell saves you. You quickly pack your stuff and leave the classroom without saying goodbye. Once you turn left, you see Kris and the others, clad in their own outfits instead of a uniform.

“Hey.” Kris’ tall figure hovers before you. “How are you?”
“I’m fine.” You try to keep some distance between you and Kris.
You can’t help but remember that night’s incident. “Have you settled the school matters?”
Tao pops into the conversation, “You won’t be seeing us often anymore.” He says as he juts out his lower lip.
“Why not?” You stare at him wide-eyed.
Luhan gives a sincere smile, “All of us won’t be studying here. We have transferred to S.M Academy.”
S.M Academy? It sounds oddly familiar…
“We might become idols!” Xiumin chirps happily.
“The day when Kris came back from China, we met up with him and-“ Chen cuts in, “And we actually got scouted. Can you believe it?”
You stare at all of them in amazement. They are going to be celebrities?!
You gape at them for a few moments. “But Kris, didn’t you say that you wanted to take over your parents’ business?”
Kris chuckles, with a hint of sadness in it. “I guess I’m still too young for that... My parents allowed me, too. Anyway, we’re here to take you out to celebrate.”

Celebrate? But Kai is going to bring you to register your name today. You shake your head apologetically, “I’m sorry but I cant celebrate with you guys. But congratulations!”
“Why not! Kris has been anticipating for this over
the weekend.” Lay blurts out. Oh. He has?
Kris nudges Lay softly before turning his gaze back
on you, “Do you have something on?”
You nod in guilt. “I’m meeting Kai later on… To register my name. Sorry.”
Kris’ eyes become slightly wider. “Your name? Register?”
“Kai gave me a new name. From now onwards, call me Wen.” You beam at the name. You definitely like it more and more by the minute.
Kris gives a smile that reaches his eyes, despite his disappointment from hearing that it was given by Kai.

But he truly likes the sound of your name. “Wen. I
like it.”
“I like it too.” You grin foolishly. Something tugs at Kris’ heart watching you smile radiantly like this.


“Wen ah~” Luhan coos at you. “For Kris? Come with us? I’m sure Kai wouldn’t mind.”
Kai wouldn’t mind… would he? But the thought of disappointing Kai was too much to bear.
“It’s okay, I’ll join you guys next time, alright?” You assure.
Just then, Kai appears behind them. Kris notices Kai’s solemn and dark expression.
“Next time,” Kris quickly says as he simply smiles and turns around.
Kris didn’t want to have any physical contact with you, not with Kai around.
Plus, the previous time he did, it hurt you so much. He shakes off the tear-stained image of you. And it's because of him…
“What did they say? Why are they not in their uniforms?” Kai asks once its only you and him left. Oh, how inquisitive.
“They are transferring to another school.” You murmur softly. “They wanted to bring me out for a celebration.”
“Why would transferring of schools call for a celebration?”
You take in a deep breath. “It’s S.M Academy.”
“S.M Academy?!” Kai tries to mask his surprise, but it was entirely futile. You shrug.
Kai remains quiet, lost in thought. So much like a kid when he’s thinking hard….
You tug at his arm, “Aren’t we going to register my name? Lets go!”

* * *
You and Kai are in a taxi, on the way to some name registration center that you obviously don’t know of.
“Some of my classmates are fond of you.” You sigh as you look outside of the window.
Kai’s lips curve up, “Of course. Why wouldn’t they?”
Oh, Kai. Maybe you shouldn’t give him an ego boost. “It’s a good thing you know,” You give a half-hearted smile.“I got free lunch from them.”
Kai shoots up from his seat. “How is it a good thing?! Wen!” Kai scolds, but the way Kai says your name makes you melt inside.
He folds his arms like a kid throwing a tantrum.

Jeez. “You’re very happy about this, aren’t you?” This is so un-Kai like.
You are utterly convinced that Kai is nothing but a 3-year-old kid mentally. “Why wouldn’t I? Free lunch.” You shrug.
“You are supposed to be jealous!” Kai groans in frustration. He never had to deal with someone who screws his feelings up like this. 
You are undoubtedly giving him a very hard time.
“Do I look jealous to you, Kai?” You tease further.
Kai runs his hand through his dark brown hair. Before he can reply, the taxi comes to a halt. “We’ve arrived,” the taxi driver says.

The registration center is fairly huge, with many different types of registration each being written on huge signs.
“Name registration.” You point at the sign.
Kai takes your hand as he heads towards the counter.

“Hi, I would like to register a name for her please.” Kai says in a polite manner. Whoa, this is so not Kai.
The pretty lady behind the desk looks up through
her long eyelashes. “Identification please.”
Oh no. You didn’t bring any form of identification on you.
Just then, Kai takes out a few pieces of paper. You recognize them immediately, it was the papers that was given Mom and Dad to sign on.
What is it called again? And how did he get hold of all these?
“This is her reference letter for adoption.” Kai tells the lady, answering your unspoken question.
He takes out some other stuff that you never knew you had. Kai had really prepared well…
“Okay. What will her name be changed to?” The lady’s tone sounds like she has asked this question for over a million times.

“Wen. Kim Wen.” Kai smirks in glee. The lady scribbles your name and looks back up at Kai again, “And you are her…?”
Kai inhales sharply before slowly turning to look at you. Guess he’s still tied down to this title after all.
You meet his painful gaze, feeling exactly the same way.
“I’m her brother.” Kai finally replies.
You and Kai stare into each other's eyes, the same thoughts running through your minds.

Brother and sister, is that all you guys are ever going to be?

* * *