Chapter 34

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

The door slams shut with a loud thud. Kai glares up at the older man who has just weaved up some impossible story to you.
“Why did you say that?” Kai’s voice is barely audible.
Mr. Lee gives a twisted smile that Kai recognizes. “I helped you out, Kai. I told her in a way that all ties will be cut, and there will be nothing left behind. You don’t have to tell her anything.”
Lee Soo Man knows how Kai feels for you, he can tell. Letting you and Kai be together is not something he wants, if not it would mean flushing all his efforts down the drain.
Now, everything is going according to the way he wants.
“Sign the contract.” Mr. Lee pushes a file towards Kai.
Kai shakes his head, his glare blazing. “I am not going to work under someone like you. Never.”

Kai is still in disbelief, knowing that you are under the impression that Kai’s motive was to become a trainee. What on earth does this man here want?
Kai feels like he had walked straight into his trap.
“Really? You don’t?” Mr. Lee’s tone is amused. “You will never get to see her ever again if you don’t. I’ll take her away where you can’t find her.”
. Kai runs his hands through his hair in agony, frustration. He’s definitely being led on in circles.
Kai stands, slamming his clenched fists on the desk loudly, “You told her a darn lie about me and now you are telling me that you will take her away if I don’t sign this ing contract?!”
Mr. Lee purses his lips in shock. He can’t lose this, not now when he’s this close.
“Mind your words, Kai. I don’t want my artistes to get unwanted attention from the media.”

Artistes? Kai glowers at him. This is the perhaps the most frustrating moment in his life. this ! He curses under his breath.
“I am not your artiste.” Kai hisses.
Mr. Lee chuckles darkly, “Oh. You will be. Trust me.” He pushes the file nearer to Kai, and it touches his knuckles on the table. Mr. Lee smiles, seeing Kai’s eyes soften for a bit.
You have this strong, powerful impact on Kai, just like what he guessed. Mr. Lee knows that Kai will fit perfectly in the new boy group he’s planning.
Young, talented, charismatic. Exactly what he needs. Maybe with a bit of taming, Kai might just turn out to be one of the most successful artistes he had ever produced.
After all, he always had an eye for special people.

Kai struggles while contemplating, fighting an inner battle with himself. You belong to this devious man now, and honestly Kai doesn’t have any sort of control over you.
He cannot take you away as much as he wants to, and it kills him entirely to accept that fact.
Kai gazes down at the black file with a paper that writes ‘S.M Entertainment Artiste Contract – Highly confidential’ as the cover page.
He has to get you back. He must. Kai is not going to watch you being taken away by Lee Soo Man.
“…Screw this.” Kai murmurs as he hastily signs the contract without reading anything in it.
It’s a trap, Kai reminds himself. A stupid trap that he jumped right into. Because of you.
Mr. Lee smiles, triumphant. “If you want to see her, you’d have to listen to me. But first, go home and pack up."

* * *

Kris drags you to the other building. You cannot fully digest whatever just happened. Kai…
You cry harder, as memories swim in your head. The beach villa getaway, the swim at China, is everything all just a lie?
This is Kai’s dream, isn’t it? He probably knew that Mr. Lee is your father all along. Is this why he did all that? To gain your trust?
You shake your head profusely. Something in your chest swells up, in a bad way. You feel suffocated, and the deep pain is becoming unbearable.
Kris says nothing. He stops when the both of you arrive at a room with long, wide mirrors, and there’s a sky blue backdrop at the back.
The room is empty, and the only sound is coming from the air-conditioner.

You drop to your feet helplessly. Mr. Lee is your biological father, whom you have been hoping to see for so many years. But it doesn’t feel right at all. Why? The pent up feelings in you doesn’t seem to cease.
Kris watches you curl up into a ball, your knees folded tightly together. You shrivel up at a corner.
This scene is all too familiar. Crying in a dance studio, except that this time it’s Kris here. How ironic. The last time this happened, it was because of him.
“Are you okay?” Kris stays close but not too near.
You take in a deep breath to calm yourself down. You nod. “…Did you know about it, too?”
A guilty look flits across Kris’ well-defined facial features. “He only told me about it last night.”

Last night? Why did your father choose to tell Kris first?
“Oh.” You simply say.
Kris hands you tissue paper. “Thanks,” You mumble, blowing your nose in a rather unladylike manner.
Kris looks slightly amused as he hands you another.
“What did he tell you?” You ask.
Kris holds your gaze for a while before he clears his throat to speak. “Well… he told me that you are his daughter. I was quite taken aback, honestly.”
He pauses to observe you, and then continues. “And then he instructed me to go to his office today, to take you to our dormitory.”
“Your dormitory?”
“Yeah. The dormitory that we are staying at. It’s near this building.” Kris says. Oh.
Why does your father want you to stay with Kris and the others?

Kris stands, pulling you up as well. “Smile. I don’t like seeing you like this.” He tucks some loose strands of hair to the back of your ear. “You can overcome this, Wen. I’ll be here with you.”
Thankfully there is Kris. He’s still a friend to you, despite many things that happened. “Thank you, Kris.”
 Kai… You wince as you feel the stabbing pain in your heart again.
“Do you want to get something to eat?” Kris looks at his watch, “I have training at 5pm for 4 hours. I can’t eat after 7pm.”
“What?”
Kris nods. “Its okay with me actually, but it’s a problem for Xiumin and Chen.”
Oh, yes, Xiumin. You always notice him snacking on tidbits in between lessons, since he sits just infront of you.
“I’ll bring you to our dorm right after practice. You still have school tomorrow.” Kris looks at you intently.

Not long after, you are seated amongst Kris, Luhan, Chen, Xiumin, Lay and Tao in a crowded canteen. They arrived shortly after you and Kris found a spot to sit.
Kris had ordered a bowl of bibimbap for you, although you said that you didn’t feel like eating.
“You have to eat, Wen. We won’t be eating until tomorrow.” Kris scolds. The rest nod.
You stare down at the still piping hot bowl of bibimbap. It reminds you of when Kai would go out to buy you food late at night when you had to rush through your assignments.
Those are probably one of his ways to get closer to you… You take a bite under Kris’ prompting.
Once again, the lump in your throat returns as you chew, and you force back the threatening tears.

* * *

“Okay, we’ll do it from the start. Kris, be more focused.” The dance instructor says. You sit at a corner of the dance studio. They have been practicing the same dance for 3 hours, and you can tell that they are already worn out.
Is this the life of celebrities? Is this…what Kai wants?
You fiddle with your phone in your hands. No messages, no calls. You were hoping to see Kai’s name appear on your phone, but there’s nothing. Wait, why would you want to see Kai’s name?
Maybe it’s a good thing too.
The aching pain lingers in you, but you try not to think of it too much. Breaking down again doesn’t seem like a good option now, you wouldn’t want to distract them from their practice.
You absentmindedly hum the song that has been blasting in the dance studio for the past couple of hours. It’s not in Korean, it sounds like Chinese, but you are not sure.

The six of them work very well together actually, dancing in synchronization. Finally, the music stops. “That’s all for today. Tao, brush up your choreography at the 2nd bridge. Xiumin, chorus.” The dance instructor sure is strict.
He changes a 180-degree when he sees you, however. He smiles and bows politely before leaving the dance studio.
“Tsk. up.” Chen throws a towel to Tao. “Everyone wants a piece of you now, Wen. Now that they know that you are the president’s daughter.”
What? That explains.
Lay twists the cap of a water bottle open, “I heard there will be a press conference.”
“Press conference?” You ask.
“You know, to publicize to the public that you are Lee Soo Man’s daughter.” Xiumin helps to explain.

Lee Soo Man’s daughter. It doesn’t sound like you.
You had barely talked to that man who is your biological father, and it’s going to be told to the entire world through a press conference.
Kris stiffens from your reaction. “Let’s go back to the dorm. She had a long day.”

* * *

 

You unpack your stuff in the spare room upon arriving to their dormitory. The guys are having a debrief by their manager outside.
The silence in the room is deafening. It seems to have the ability to tug at everything that has been bothering you today.
You squirm beneath the sheets, hoping that it will provide some comfort.
The necklace on your neck catches your attention. Oh, Kai...

“It’s my feelings for you.”

“You’re the only person I feel for.”

“I love you, too. Goodnight, and Happy Birthday.”

Tears wash your face, for the umpteenth time today as you drift into slumber. It hurts, so much.

* * *

Author's Note:
Yay~ Do leave comments!! 
And to those who cried over my previous chapter..... here, a tissue for you (or do you want Kris to pass it to you)

I'll be very busy this upcoming week, but I'll try my best to update frequently!!
Thank you guys, it's a real joy writing this story, mainly because of the comments from all of you! *throws hearts* Some of you said that my fic should be featured but nah... I don't think my fic is good enough tbh. and too many people reading my fic will be too much too handle :X I like it this way, with my little community of readers hehe~