Chapter 13

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

Kris leaned against his car which was parked outside your house. He looked at his watched for the umpteenth time. It was almost midnight, why weren't you home yet?
Not a single light in the large house was . 
Kris squinted to see a rather odd looking figure walking towards him. It looked like someone was being carried in bridal style.
Is that..? Kris instinctively ran towards Kai as quickly as his long legs could carry him. 
You were fast asleep in Kai's strong arms, which made Kris feel rather annoyed. 

"What are you doing here?" Kai asked as he loomed over Kris to see his car parked outside the house. 
Kris furrowed his brows, blatantly unhappy. "I came to see ____." 
"That's a little too much, don't you think?" Kai simply walk past Kris as he brushes against him. 
Kris followed behind. He hasn't seen you in days and he was actually hoping to do so without waiting until tomorrow. 
Kris ignored the fact that he wasn't very invited, he went into the house along with Kai on his own accord. 

Kai climbs the flight of stairs and went into your room to put you down gently on your bed. 
He tucks you in your blanket and rested his palm on your head for a moment before leaving you alone in slumber.
Kai closes your bedroom door and approaches Kris, who was standing outside your room. 
"She's asleep. You can see her tomorrow." Kai said, trying to make Kris leave the house. 
Kris shook his head, "It's alright. I'll stay for a while, incase she wakes up." 

Kai rolled his eyes at Kris. He remembered about Dasom. "Great, I need to talk to you too."
Kris took Kai's lead as he went upstairs to the balcony, which was Kai and your usual spot. 
Kai leaned against the ledge in silence, and Kris followed suite. 
"Didn't you say that you like her?" Kai was holding in his anger. If he could, he would have already sent a punch across Kris's face. 
Kris was surprised at Kai's question, "I do. Why?" 
"Why do you still continue sleeping around with girls then?" Kai growled as he glared at Kris with his dark eyes. 
Kai had truly believed in Kris when he said that he liked you. He entrusted you in Kris's hands, hoping that he would change.
But Kris was still doing the wrong things behind your back. 

Kris knew exactly what Kai meant. 
Deep inside, Kris felt guilty as well. He was very sure of his feelings for you, but when you're not around, it felt like the old Kris came back. 
"I'm really sorry." Kris said as he buried his face in his hands. He turned to face Kai, his voice trembling, "Please don't tell me that ____ already knows about it."
Kai remained silent, blaming himself for his hesitation to tell you the truth. 
"She doesn't know about it." Kai admitted, making Kris let out a huge sigh of relief. 
"Look." Kris said nervously, "I really cannot lose her."

The tone in Kris's voice made Kai's heart soften despite his attempt to not let it happen. 
"She's probably the only person in this entire world who wouldn't mind my past, and would like me for who I am." Kris added, keeping his gaze on the ground. 
"Of course she wouldn't." Kai said with his teeth clenched together. "To her its probably like everything in this world is good." 
Kris felt even more guilt in him. "I'm sorry, I really am, Kai."
Kai closed his eyes, trying to gather his thoughts. 
"Just.. just don't hurt her anymore. I will, without any hesitation, take her away from you if you do so."

Kris nodded solemnly. He vowed not to do so again, ever. Kai sighed, deciding to leaving the matter as it is. 
He didn't know if it was a good idea or a bad one, but he couldn't bear to see you hurt. 
"I'm planning to give her a surprise tomorrow," Kris confessed. Kai nodded, "I know."
A small smile appeared on Kris's face as he thought of his plan. "She hasn't really agreed to be my girlfriend but.. I'm sure she will, tomorrow." 
It hurt Kai to see how confident Kris was. She probably likes him already, and he is clearly aware of that, Kai thought. 
Kris was oblivious to Kai's heartache as he continued saying, "I'm going to do a public confession. It's probably going to ruin my reputation but.. I'm willing to risk it all." Kris shrugged.

Kai watched how Kris resembled a young boy who was going to confess to a girl he really likes.. It was the exact same pure feeling that Kai had for you.
"I hope it turns out well." Kai said with utmost sincerity. 
Kris turned to look at Kai, "Thank you, Kai. I really appreciate your help." 
"I'm not helping you," Kai clarified. "It's for ____."
Kai didn't want to entertain Kris any longer. He places his hands in his pocket as he went downstairs to check on you. 
That's pretty rude.. Kris thought. He should have said something before walking off just like that.

Kai slowly pushed your room door open as it creaked softly. He took a peek inside the room to see nobody inside. 
"____?" Kai said. He heard the very faint sound of running water from the bathroom. Kris appeared, "Is she in her room?" 
Kai shook his head, "I think she's taking a bath." 
For once, Kris felt jealous of Kai knowing that the both of you live under the same roof. 
The only thing that comforted Kris was that you and Kai had a sibling relationship. 
Kai left to his own room to change into a more comfortable attire for sleep. He closed the door shut, leaving Kris alone in the hallway.

Kris was annoyed again by Kai's lack of words. Carefully, Kris made his way to your room. It was neat and tidy, just like how a girl's room should be. 
There were stacks of books and homework on the table, Kris knew how much of a studious person you were, constantly taking notes in class while all he does is to observe you. 
Kris liked how homey your room felt to him. In the future, he would also like to have a room like this for the both of you. Warm and comfortable.
Kris was surprised at his own thoughts. It was the first time he ever planned for the future with a girl.

"Kris?" You said. Kris was standing in the middle of your room in silence. He turned to look at you, "____-ah!"
Kris promptly walked over as he took your towel in his hands, ruffling your hair to dry it.
"Why are you here?" You asked, your voice slightly higher than usual. You couldn't hide your happiness upon seeing him.
Kris was engrossed in drying up your hair. "To see you," he said with a smile.
Kai witnessed it all, from the joy in your voice to the way Kris looks at you. 

"It's getting late, Kris." Kai said in a low and cutting voice. 
Kris looked at the time and frowned, "Is it okay if I stay over tonight? I can give you guys a ride tomorrow to school."
"Can't you go home?" Kai asked. 
Kris shook his head, "I sort of missed the curfew time."
You felt guilty as you heard Kris say that. "..Because of me?" 
Kris immediately waved his hands frantically infront of you, "I chose to wait on my own accord, it's not your fault." 

Kai couldn't bear to watch any longer. It pains him, seeing the both of you act like an actual couple. 
"You can stay. But in my room." Kai said. Neither you nor Kris noticed the darker than usual tone of his voice.
"Thanks," Kris said. "Go to sleep, ____. We have school tomorrow. I'll see you tomorrow, first thing in the morning." Kris assured.
The way Kris said it made you feel butterflies in your stomach, and it wasn't helping knowing that he was going to spend the night in the next room.
You nodded, while Kris made his way out and followed Kai to his room.

Kai searched through his wardrobe to look for something comfortable for Kris to sleep in. 
"Here," Kai said, throwing an oversized basic t-shirt at Kris. Kris couldn't even complain, since now he was the one at disadvantage. 
"Thanks." Kris mumbled as he proceeded to change on the spot. Since it was only Kai in the room anyway. 
Kai remembered that the spare mattress was in your room. He went to your room to retrieve it for Kris. 

"Kai." You said as Kai dragged the mattress effortlessly from below your bed. 
"Mm?" Kai replied in a monotonous voice, not even bothered to look at you. 
You were slightly disturbed by his nonchalance but you tried to ignore it, "Thank you."
"What for?" Kai had no idea what you were referring to. 
"For letting Kris stay for the night." You said, "And also.. for carrying me home when I fell asleep on the bus. You are a really good brother, Kai." 
Kai simply nodded with his back facing you, "Got it. Goodnight." 

Kai was starting to get immune to it whenever you called him your brother. 
He could probably get used to this, he thought. 
By the time he entered his own room, Kris was already changed. Kai laid out the mattress on the floor next to his bed and plopped himself on his own bed after that. 
"You don't have to thank me. I've heard enough of thank yous today." Kai said with his eyes closed. He was mentally and physically tired from the long day.
Both Kai and Kris lay in silence, neither one of them falling asleep. 

Kai gradually opened his eyes as he looked at the ceiling. "She likes meat the most." Kai tipped. 
Kris smiled, remembering the date he had with you. "I know that." 
"She likes to read a lot. I don't know why." Kai added. 
Kris nodded, "So I've noticed." 
"She came from Seoul orphanage, if you don't already know." 
"That's a first." Kris admitted. "Do you like her, Kai?" It was a question that Kris had always wondered.

Kai honestly didn't know how to answer Kris. "Do I? She's my sister."
Kai realized he was getting more and more at ease when it came to referring you as his sister.
Though it wasn't much of an answer, Kris knew where Kai was coming from. It didn't matter.

* * *

The next morning, Kris woke up to find himself alone in Kai's room. He had to go back home to get his uniform and then come back to give you and Kai a ride to school.
Kris made his way to your room. Slowly opening the door, he saw you sleeping peacefully. He sat down next to your sleeping face which he absolutely adored as he brushed your hair away.
"See you later. I'll come back soon." Kris said. He left your room, hoping to see Kai as he made his way downstairs, but he was nowhere to be seen.
Maybe Kai went out to buy breakfast, Kris thought. He fumbled for his car keys in his pocket as he his car, and the engine roared to life.

"Today is the day that I will make you mine," Kris said to himself in sheer confidence. "Mine."