Chapter 36

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

Flashing lights. Omnipresent cameras and dozens of equipment. You wince, the silver studs on your dress reflecting the lights and flashes. Mr. Lee had insisted that you wear this uncomfortable body fitting dress.
You almost couldn’t recognize yourself after a team of stylists worked their magic. It’s crazy.
Click. Another photographer is testing out his huge DSLR that is standing on a tripod. The press conference hasn’t started.
“Have you memorized the answers?” Mr. Lee asks warily. You nod. Knots are forming in your stomach, and you make a silent prayer to the Gods that you wouldn’t crumble under the spotlight later. You don’t want to screw this up, not when everyone is watching.
Will Kai see this? You idly wonder. Probably not. He doesn’t care. Yes. Wen. Kai doesn’t care, stop wondering.

The backdrop of the mini stage is a huge ‘S.M Entertainment’ logo, in white and pink.
“Everyone, the press conference will start shortly.” Mr. Lee announces through a small microphone placed infront of him. Oh wait. You have one too. You tap on the speaker gently. “Hi?” you squeak timidly. It works, rather well infact.
The paparazzi’s attentions are fixated on you, eyeing each and every movement of yours. You inhale deeply in attempt to relax your mind.
Mr. Lee leans into the microphone, “Thank you for coming. Today’s press conference means a lot to me on a personal level.” Oh no, it’s started.
The flashing lights are almost blinding you. You can’t see any faces, some huge camera either blocks them or the lights are too bright. 

* * *

 

Kris covers his head with a hood as he slips into the venue carefully. He chooses a spot at the corner, right behind a group of paparazzi. Good. This spot is good. No one will see him. Kris places his hands into the pockets of his hoodie.
“Firstly, I’d like to announce that this young girl next to me is…” Mr. Lee pauses. “My biological daughter. Lee Wen.”
The paparazzi roars in chaos, the camera flashes becoming harsher than before, all directed at you. Kris notices your tight, uneasy smile. This is probably how you felt when he did that public confession.
If only he had given it more thought. Maybe things wouldn’t be like this now. You wouldn’t have to suffer because of Kai.
Kris watches on carefully as you take the microphone in your hands. “Hello everyone. I’m Lee Wen.” You say, your tone bland.
This is not your usual carefree, happy self. Because of this press conference? Because of Kai? Kris can’t tell. But whatever it is, he hates it.

“Secondly, we will be coming up with a new boy group in 3 months time. Do anticipate.” Mr. Lee announces. Another wave of disarray from the paparazzi begins. Kris pulls down his hood further. It’s going to turn out ugly if he gets caught.
“We will now open up the floor for questions. One question at a time.” Mr. Lee’s voice booms throughout the room.
Someone from the back raises up his hand, “Why is it only now that you reveal your daughter, Mr Lee Soo Man?”
Mr. Lee smiles, already expecting a question like this. “Our Lee Wen has always been an independent girl, so me and my late wife supported her idea of going abroad for studies at a young age, and she only came back recently. I’ve missed her a lot, and I’m sure my wife does too.”
A few sympathetic sighs could be heard from the crowd.

Kris shakes his head, knowing that the truth got twisted so badly. But he takes comfort in the fact that at least you seem okay with it.
“Lee Wen, how do you feel?” A reporter yells out as he types wildly onto his laptop.
You gingerly pick up the microphone. Luckily, Mr. Lee had already prepared this question.
You take in a huge breath before answering, “It’s good to come back to Korea after so many years, and it makes me very happy seeing my Dad being so successful now managing S.M Entertainment.”
There. Oh gosh. You feel like a heart attack is about to happen. This is crazy!

“Can you tell us more about the boy group?” Another question is asked.
You freeze momentarily. It’s Kai’s group.
“There will be 12 members, 6 of them will be promoting in Korea, and 6 of them in China. It will be a new experience for us, and we can’t wait to reveal them soon.” Mr. Lee says in a professional manner. You definitely didn’t inherited that trait from him.
As the reporters type down the answers, someone else from the crowd shouts another question, “Do you love her, Mr. Lee Soo Man?”
You instinctively look for the person who had asked the question. The voice sounds so painfully familiar… Kai.
No, it’s impossible. Kai wouldn’t be here. It’s just a coincidence.
A trace of a frown plays on Mr. Lee’s face. He hadn’t expected this question at all. Which lunatic would ask that in a press conference?

Mr. Lee gains his composure shortly. “Of course I do.”
Kris notices someone with a hood pulled down infront of his face, looking out of place amongst the formally suited up media people.
That person was the one who asked the question. Kris tilts his head further to get a better look at that queer person.
Oh. It’s Kai. Why is he here?
Kris notices two other paparazzi behind Kai, who seem to be discussing about him instead of paying attention to the press conference.
. This is not good.
Kris swiftly squeezes through the crowd as he grabs Kai and pulls him away out of the venue before the paparazzi could approach the still oblivious Kai.

“What do you want?!” Kai throws the hood to the back of his head. His eyes widen upon realizing its Kris.
“Do you want to get caught before we even get to debut? The two paparazzi behind noticed you, idiot!” Kris glares fiercely at Kai.
Kai doesn’t speak, but he turns around and hastens towards the S.M Academy building.
“What the hell are you thinking, Kai?!” Kris yells. He’s had enough. Whatever Kai’s doing, whatever his motives are, it’s hurting you and Kris doesn’t want to see you like this.
“You told me not to hurt her. Well, look who’s hurting her now?!”
Kai halts to a stop. He knows you are suffering. Seeing your weary, lifeless face at the dance studio earlier hurts him as much.

“You should know that I won’t hold back, Kai.” Kris states. He tries to comprehend Kai’s pained, lost, expression, but to no avail.
Kai’s heart crushes slowly, torturing him. A while ago, Kris had just sent him a flying punch across his face, after he told him that he had lied to you about his feelings just so that he can get into the company.
But Kris knows too well to believe it. He had seen Kai’s over-protectiveness over you, the glimmer in his eyes whenever he sees you.
“You can take her then.” Kai simply says as a gripping pain overwhelms him. Kai’s jaw is clenched tight. Kris rolls his eyes, what the hell is eating Kai up to make him say something like that?
Kai continues on with his forced nonchalance “I don’t care. Take her. Go her however you like.” His voice croaks at the last sentence.

Kris stares at Kai, unable to believe what he had just said. Is Kai for real? He doesn’t love you? No, wait, he just appeared at your press conference. There’s something.
“Kai. I am not going to her, you know that. I changed for her, for goodness sake.”
“I am not interested in your melodramatic love story.” Kai murmurs. But a part of him is half-assured.
Kris sighs out of frustration. “Don’t be the one stopping me when I manage to win her heart back.”
Kai shrugs, still putting up his useless act. “I won’t.”

* * *

 

“Yes… Okay… Get the media to write it nicely… Pay them, whatever…Okay.” Mr. Lee hastily enters his office as he ends the call. He had sent you back to the dormitory after the press conference, knowing that there will be paparazzi lingering around for juicy gossip from you.
“Oh. Kai.” Mr. Lee tries to hide his surprise as he sees Kai sitting rigidly in his office. “What brings you here?”
Kai wheels the chair around to face the older man. Kai has lost all respect for him, after all that this man had done. A cunning, devious man that Kai would never be associated with, if not for you.
“What do you want me to do now?” Kai’s tone is explicitly cutting.
Mr. Lee stifles a smile. Being in complete control of people excites him. “Remain like this. Pretend that you don’t know her, just like earlier. Keep up with the lie.”

Kai scowls. “What do you plan to do?”
“Kris.” Mr. Lee says tartly. “He has a very bad reputation for taking school girls to bed. But I need him in the group to put everyone together. He has good leadership skills.”
“And?” Kai shifts uncomfortably, ominous thoughts looming over him.
“I’ll use her to cover up his bad deeds.” Mr. Lee admits. “Saying that they are together, or something of that sort.”
Kai remains silent, unsure of how to react. Lee Soo Man already has everything planned out. Kai didn't see that coming. 
Damn you, Lee Soo Man.
“Is this why you wanted her back in the first place?” Kai finally asks, dread in his voice.
Mr. Lee shrugs. “It doesn’t matter Kai. Just accept the fact that you and my daughter aren’t meant to be together.”
“Remember,” he continues. “I fulfilled your dream, Kai. You used her, too.Do you think you can get here if you tried to put up a fight with me in the beginning?”
Mr. Lee gives a smug smile. “Don’t worry, Kai. You will be rewarded handsomely. You can trust me on that.”

* * *

You finally get out of the uncomfortable dress after the press conference, and you stretch out on your bed lazily.
Thankfully you had survived the press conference. In a way, you have Mr. Lee to thank for the prepared answers.
Maybe that’s why you could still keep yourself under control.
Kris and the rest are probably still training now…Kai, too. Kris had told you to meet him for dinner in an hour’s time. But your appetite isn’t there.
What should you do now? Study? It’s been a while since you last touched your books. Maybe you should, since you had struggled to catch up, you don’t want to lose your momentum.
You get up and head towards your school bag. It looks abandoned as it sits in a corner.
Your hands reach out to your neck out of habit.
…The necklace is missing. No, no, no. You can’t lose it. You look for it frantically on the bed where you had just lied on. It’s not there. No!

It might have dropped when you were making your way out of the press conference, with all the pushing from the crowd.
Oh. No. Kai's necklace!

* * *

Author's Note:

This chapter is pretty fun to write :) I hope you guys enjoyed reading it too!
Well..... WHAT'S NEXT? xD (((i dont know either))))
Do comment!~ Thank you~ <3