Chapter 25

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

You listen apprehensively to Kai and Hye Ri’s conversation but remain silent. The three of you are on a car to god-knows-where.
They are talking about some schoolmates, something about scandals and all. Obviously you are clueless about it. You mask your frown as you look out of the car’s window. Where are they taking you?
“We’re here!” Hye Ri announces excitedly.
You scramble out of the car. It’s definitely near the beach because of the strong smell of seawater in the air, and there’s a very sophisticated looking house that looks like it's new.
That’s odd… is this Hye Ri’s place?

 

Kai scans the place in utmost awe. “Hye Ri…” he’s unable to continue with his words.
Hye Ri passes him a set of keys, “You’re very welcome, Kai.”
Kai smiles sheepishly at Hye Ri, somehow making you uncomfortable. He’s actually acting like as though he’s around the other oppas.
“Thank you,” Kai’s eyes turn into crescents, exuding his boyish charm, and you momentarily forget about all the unease in you.
Hye Ri gives him a one-arm hug before turning to you. “Enjoy your stay guys!”
She follows the chauffeur back to the car as she bid goodbye.

You turn to Kai, “Why are we here?”
Kai scrunches his nose. Man, you can be really dense. He takes your luggage and his and heads towards the house. The hot afternoon sun was glazing.
You frown. Why is he acting all mysterious-like?
The interior inside simply took your breath away. It’s spacious, well-furnished and open concept.
Upon entering, you can immediately see the vast sea before your eyes.
How can a house be this beautiful?

“Hye Ri’s parents run a villa company, specializing in beach houses especially. This is their latest project and we’re the first people to step in here as guests.” Kai states as he places the luggage at a corner. He gives that oh-so-charming smile, “We have the entire weekend to ourselves.”
It’s the weekend already? You start counting the days in your head. From the day Kris confessed, to his absence, and the sudden China-
“Yes, it’s a Saturday tomorrow.” Kai reads your mind again, for the umpteenth time.
You frown at Kai. “How do you read my mind all the time?”
“You should see how your thoughts are written on your face, like all the time.” Kai’s tone is dull. He smirks, as though an idea got planted in his head.
“Ah, it’s really hot now isn’t it?” Kai slowly takes a few steps towards you, keeping his eyes locked with yours.

What is Kai trying to do? You watch as his hands linger on the hem of his shirt.
Your breath hitches. Oh no.
Kai skillfully removes his shirt swiftly, leaving only his jeans hanging from his hips. You flush, but quickly hide your face.
“Um. Y-yeah.” You stumble on your words.
Kai is elated beyond words, “So much better.” He flings his shirt behind him.
You can tell that Kai is enjoying this, seeing you flush in embarrassment… How can Kai be so confident when it comes to this..?!

“You should have told me beforehand, I would have packed more clothes,” You mutter, trying to change the topic.
Kai shrugs, “It’s fine. I have spare.”
Spare? Kai’s clothes?
“Are you hungry?” He asks. You quickly nod. Both you and Kai haven’t had anything to eat since this morning before the flight.
“I’ll cook.” Kai walks to the kitchen.
You let out a soft gasp, “You can cook?”
“No,” Kai replies truthfully. “But for you, I guess I can try.”

Kai’s going to try cooking for… you?
“They have meat here, lucky for you.” Kai says. You watch as he takes out the frozen stuff from the fridge. He’s walking to and fro in the kitchen with nothing except his jeans on.
The sound of waves can be heard clearly from the inside of the house. It’s just breathtaking, the sight of the open sea in this place.
You want to run out to the space outside to get a better view of the sea, but it will be unfair for Kai if you went to enjoy yourself and leave him in there cooking on his own.

After a while, you finally hear the sizzling meat. “Ah!” Kai yells.
You instinctively got off the sofa, “What happened?”
“Nothing.” Kai quickly replies. You watch as he jabs the meat awkwardly with a wooden wok spatula. Oh god.
You sigh and shove Kai out of the way. At this rate he’s ‘cooking’, your meat is probably going to be burnt.
Kai frowns, but he’s appeased seeing you whip out three dishes in the time that he took to barely finish one.

“Not bad.” Kai compliments.
You smile, “Your efforts are worth praising too.”
“Are you mocking me now?” Kai’s tone is cutting. “Watch out later.”
Uh oh. The last time Kai said that was when you made a neutral comment on his body, and…
You tense up, remembering that incident in full detail.
You are finally done with the dishes. All meat dishes, of course. But you added a special dish with meat AND vegetables just in case.

“I shouldn’t have let the carnivore cook.” Kai shakes his head in disapproval.
“Just eat already.” You frown.
Kai smiles as he watches you eat your own cooking. Your love for meat is a threat to Kai. He sighs, his entire being basking in happiness. Somehow, eating like this with you alone makes him feel nothing but pure bliss.
“When did you arrange this?” You ask as you reach for another piece of bulgogi.
Kai scratches his head, “Last night, after you fell asleep.”
You blink twice, “So… you called Hye Ri to arrange this?”

“Yeah.” Kai looks up at you, his eyes bright. “Someone’s jealous.”
You almost choke on your food, “Me? Jealous? There’s no-“
“Says the one who remained dead silent during the entire car ride while Hye Ri and I were talking,” Kai gives a mocking smile. So he noticed.
“I was just tired,” You lie.
Kai scoffs, “Don’t bother lying to me, ____. I can read you like a book, whether you like it or not.”

As much as you hate Kai reading your mind all the time… you cannot deny that it’s true.
“It’s unfair.” You stick out your bottom lip slightly.
Kai his head, “What is unfair?”
“The fact that you can read me like a book and I don’t know what you are thinking at all,” your voice trails off slowly.
You bore into Kai’s dark eyes. He has really pretty eyelashes, like a female’s. Why haven’t you noticed that before?
“You want to know what I think?” Kai’s voice is deeper than usual.
Something in his voice tells you that it isn’t a joking matter to him.

“You.” Kai says. “I think of you all the time. It’s the first time I put so much thought in someone. The things I say, the things I do… I’ve never worried about it before.”
He looks down at his feet, “Then you came along. It’s so new to me, this foreign feeling.”
This is… Kai’s inner thoughts. The things that he’s never said to anyone. You stare, unsure of what to say.
Kai stands up abruptly, “C’mon carnivore, we’re done eating.”

You and Kai head to the beach directly below the villa.
You gape at the glorious sight of the sea. Dusk has already descended, making it even more beautiful.
Kai is in amazement as well. It’s probably the best decision he has ever made in his life, bringing you here.
“We’re just friends. Hye Ri and I, I mean.” Kai clarifies out of the blue.
You turn to look at him, “I know that, Kai.”
With the radiant colors in the sky reflecting on you brilliantly, Kai couldn’t help but wish you belonged to him.
Of course, you are here right now with him. But your heart… that’s the only thing he cannot read.

You take a few steps towards the sea that has been alluring you.
“No.” Kai orders. “It’s going to be dark soon, we can leave the swimming for tomorrow. The whole beach is ours anyway.”
Swimming! Again! You squeal in joy. Kai grins at your excitement.
“So what are we going to do tonight?” You ask.
“Well…” Kai shivers for a bit. “Let’s go inside first. I’m freezing.”
You chuckle at him as he folds his arms, “Serves you right!”
Kai scowls. He lets out an evil smile as he sneaks behind you and scoops you up into his arms.
“Do you want to repeat what you’ve just said?” Kai teases.
You furrow your brows. Uh oh. It’s skin to skin between you and Kai. You struggle uselessly for a while before giving up.
“No,” you sigh. He holds you so close to him you can literally feel his heartbeat pounding away.

“Good girl.” Kai beams triumphantically. 
You fume grumpily as Kai is too engrossed in his own happiness. He finally puts you down when you arrive back in the main living room.
“Put on a shirt if you’re cold,” You say.
Kai flashes a bright smile, “No. I like seeing your gaze avoiding my body. It’s fun.”
Oh, he’s doing it on purpose isn’t he?
You rack your brain to think of something that you can use on Kai. Something that you can use to …
“Oh. Don’t bother,” Kai’s laughter fills the entire villa. There he goes again!
Kai ruffles your hair playfully. “I’ll put on a shirt if you do something.”

“What is it?” You reply a little too quickly.
Kai brushes his finger along your face, making you a little nervous.
“What is it!” You probe again. You don’t know what to do when Kai does stuff like that. It’s nerve wrecking, like as though he’s dragging time painfully slowly.
Kai doesn’t smile, but his eyes are brightly lit. He makes sure you look at him right into his eyes before he speaks.
“Call me oppa, just once.”

Oh. You finally relax. That’s all he wants? That simple?
“Kai o-“
“Wait.” Kai stops you. “I need to breathe first.”
He needs to breathe? What?
Kai relaxes, “Okay.”
Why is Kai being all over-dramatic? Gosh. But finally! You actually find something that can affect Kai.
“Is it that a very big deal to you?” You smirk unintentionally, “Kai oppa?”
You watch as Kai gets taken aback. It’s definitely the most amusing side of Kai you have ever seen. “Wait. I wasn’t ready. That doesn’t count. Agai-“
“Oppa!” You yell like a kid. “Put on a shirt, Kai oppa!”

Kai’s heart beats crazily inside him, but all he does is to grin like an idiot.
“I really have no idea what to do about you.”
 

* * *
Author's Note:

This is a very fun chapter to write! Reminds me of when I went to Bali and stayed at a beach house...
Except that I didn't have Kai for company x]
Hope you guys liked this chapter and oh! I'm very glad that you guys like Hye Ri, until some of you are shipping Kris with her haha!
x) Well, continue reading on! 

DO LEAVE COMMENTS <3333