Chapter 39

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

Kai continues tossing and turning on his bed, despite only left with 3 hours of sleep. He can see D.O fast asleep across the room.
Kai takes out the necklace from his pocket as he lets it dangle above him. It’s visible in the dark, from the glittery stuff on it.
He’s heard about Lee Soo Man’s plan to forward the debut date because of Kris. And you are going to be the shield for Kris’s leaked scandals, as much as he dislikes it.
He frowns as the image of you looking thin and tired appear in his head. Haven’t you been eating well?
Just then, his phone vibrates. He squints as the bright light from his phone shines on his face. One new message from Hye Ri?

“Hey, Kai. It’s been a while. How are you? If its okay, can we talk on the phone? – Hye Ri @ 1:33AM”

 

Kai rests the necklace on his broad chest as he makes the call. How odd, why would Hye Ri want to talk to him at this odd timing?
“Hello?” Kai says in a rather soft voice. He wouldn’t want to wake D.O up.
“Hello, Kai! I wasn’t really expecting you to call.” Hye Ri replies enthusiastically, causing Kai to idly wonder if Hye Ri is the sort to be active at night.
“But I did. What’s up?” Kai asks. He hears a short pause over the line.
“Okay… I’ll be direct here. Did you really use Wen to get into the company?”
Kai stiffens as he hears your name. Even Hye Ri knows? 
“Did she tell you that?”
“Not really. It was Kris.”
Kai hates the thought of keeping up with this lie, but it’s too late now. “Yea. I did.”
“I don’t believe you.”
“So why did you bother asking me then?”
“To get the truth out of you! Kai, I know you’re not that sort of person.”

Kai smiles weakly hearing Hye Ri’s words. If only you would trust him unconditionally like that too.
But then again, if it was Kai, he probably wouldn’t be able to think that way with everything crumbling down together at the same time.
“Thanks, Hye Ri.”
“I knew it.” Hye Ri’s tone is hopeful now. “Stop acting like an , Kai.”
“An ?” Kai chuckles softly, slightly amused.
Hye Ri sighs, “You should have seen how sad she looked when I mentioned about you.”
“I know.”
“What are you planning to do?”
“Keep her close like this, for now? I don’t know, actually.” Kai covers his eyes with his arm draped across his face.
“Kris and I will try to help.”
“Kris?”
“I know, right.” Hye Ri laughs. “But there’s a limit to what we can do. You have to get her back yourself, alright?”
Kai breaks into a wide grin. Now that he has Kris and Hye Ri on his side, he sees a glimmer of hope in getting you back. You and the love that the both of you share.
“Thank you, Hye Ri. I owe you too much.”
“No problem, Kai. Good night.”

Kai holds up the necklace again, much more happier this time. Yes! He holds it close to his chest, knowing that he will be able to wear it for you once again.
I miss you, Wen. I really do…

* * *

The chauffeur opens the door for you as you clamber out. “Thank you.” You nod slightly at him. He nods back in his gentle demeanor, and walks back to his driver’s seat. You realize you don’t know his name yet. Maybe you should ask him later.
You sigh, looking at the huge school from the entrance. Apparently, you’re supposed to tell the people in school that you and Kris are dating, according to what Mr. Lee said.
After today, you are going to ‘officially’ belong to Kris. You dread the thought of having to face the judgemental looks of the people in school.
Kai… what will Kai think about this? Wen, he doesn’t care! Your subconscious snaps back at you.
You frown as you take a few steps away from the school. 

 

* * *

“Hye Ri, you should really stop hanging out with that Wen girl or whatever.” 
 Eun Ji, one of Hye Ri’s friends chides.
Hye Ri ignores her as she continues heading to your classroom. “Whatever, Eun. She’s my friend.”
“Wen?” Hye Ri calls out. The bell had just rung not long ago, so you should still be in your classroom. The other students are busy packing up their stuff, more than eager to end school.
“She didn’t come to school today.” A few students reply. “Probably too busy hooking up with the other artistes in SM.” One of them says smugly.
Hye Ri rolls her eyes, “Shut up, you incessant .”
You didn’t attend school today? How odd. It’s not likely of you to play truant.

“Kris? Wen’s not in school today. Is she okay?” Hye Ri says over the phone.
Kris furrows his brows as he listens, “What? That can’t be. She was preparing for school earlier.”
“Her classmates said that she didn’t attend school, though. I tried calling her, but she did not pick up her phone.”
“Okay. I’ll inform President Lee.” Kris quickly replies, and he ends the call. Kris stops eating his food and runs to the office as fast as his long legs could carry him. He could have sworn he saw you in your school uniform this morning.
Plus, you had that chauffeur to take you to school. Where could you have gone to?

Kris sits quietly in grave silence as he watches Mr. Lee make a call.
“What do you mean you don’t know? You are the last person to have seen my daughter!... …You sent her to school and?... …So where is she?!... …You’re fired!” Mr. Lee slams the phone down with a loud sound. He sighs, worried by your sudden disappearance.
“Did any one of you boys see her?” Mr. Lee asks, rubbing his forehead.
Kris shakes his head, “No. All of us were at practice.”
“…Get Kai here. Now.” 

* * *

Not long after, Kai bursts through the office doors, startling both of them. “Wen’s missing?”
Kris gives a rigid nod to Kai.
Kai runs his hand through his hair that’s damp from his sweat. He had rushed down from training as soon as he Kris called him. “She doesn’t know her way around here in Seoul.”
Mr. Lee pauses. “What?”
“She’s an orphan for goodness sake, how much do you think she’s travelled on her own?!” Kai yells, his voice shattering the eerie silence.
Kris stands and places his hand on Kai’s shoulder. “Calm down, Kai.”
Kai cannot stand the thought of you wandering like a lost soul, alone. What if you got kidnapped? All the ‘what if’s fill Kai’s mind, devouring his sanity. Nothing must happen to you. Nothing.
“Her phone’s off, nobody can contact her.” Kris’s voice is struck with pain.
Mr. Lee purses his lips. “Do you know where she might go to?”

 

Where you might go? Kai racks his brain for an answer. There’s so many places- You wouldn’t go to Kai’s home, definitely.
Where would you choose to go to… The orphanage!
Kai slowly looks up at the older man. “I think I know where she might be.”
Mr. Lee relaxes, but his grim expression remains. “Okay. Get Kris to go and get her.”
Before Kai could say anything, Kris shakes his head and beckons at Kai. “No, President Lee. Kai will get her. Only he can, if you want to get your daughter back.”
“Thanks, Kris.” Kai murmurs.
“Please find her.”
Kai nods and dashes out of the office.

* * *

“Where to?” The cab driver asks in a gruff voice.
“Seoul orphanage.” Kai quickly replies as he attempts to call you.
Please answer the phone, Wen… ‘The number you dialed is unavailable at the moment. Please try again later.’

Kai slumps back onto the seat as he refrains his tears from falling. Stupid, stupid, stupid you.
If anything should happen to you, Kai knows he will never forgive himself for letting you go like that. If he had just kept you by his side, maybe things wouldn’t turn out this way.
Because he knows that he will never let you go missing like this. He would never.
Please be safe, Wen.

* * *

“Kai oppa~!” “Kai hyung!” The kids at the orphanage swarm around Kai the moment he enters the orphanage.
“Oppa, why are your eyes so red?” One of them asks. Kai briefly smiles at her. “Oppa is just tired, don’t worry Seo Young-ah.”
“Did you come to see ____? She’s here~”
Kai immediately heaves a huge sigh of relief. Just like he had guessed, you are indeed here. “Where is she?”
“She’s sleeping in her old room. She played with us the entire morning!” The kids chirp happily.
“I’ll play with all of you later, alright? Wait for me.” Kai says as he jogs to where the rooms are.
He finally sees one room further down at the end with the door closed. That should be your room.
Kai carefully turns the knob open to a small, cosy room. There’s pictures of rainbows and butterflies on the wall, somewhat giving it a dreamy feel.
There, Kai sees you, deep asleep with a peaceful looking expression.
Thank goodness, he sighs.

Kai pulls up the blanket and covers it on you. You have indeed lost weight, to his dismay.
“What the hell were you thinking, scaring everyone like that?” Kai says, almost inaudible.
Kai brushes your messy bangs away from your face. You probably ran around a lot with the kids.
“I missed you… so, so much.” Kai whispers. He leans in and leaves a long, loving kiss on your forehead. 
Just then, Kai hears the door creak open. “Kai?” It’s the head of Seoul Orphanage. Upon seeing her warm smile, Kai immediately feels at ease.

* * *

“Do you want to drink anything?” The head of Seoul Orphanage asks. Kai shakes his head, “It’s fine, thank you.” He looks around the office, it looks the same when he last came here.
So many things have changed since then.
She smiles. “I’ve watched the news about Wen and her father.”
Kai closes his eyes, burying his face in his hands. “Yeah. He’s keeping us apart. And now she thinks that I used her to get into the company.”
The woman looks at Kai apprehensively. “Some things never change. All the selfish things he can do. She told me about it.”
Kai looks up at her, “What did she say?”
“She said she felt confused, oppressed even. Her father is making her do things that are for his own benefits. She’s tired from it.”
“…I’m sorry I wasn’t able to protect her.” Kai murmurs, looking down at his bare hands. “You told me to take good care of her but I-“
“You did a good job, Kai. I believe you did your best.”

* * *

You slowly open your eyes, recognizing the familiar old room of yours. Uh oh. What time is it already?
“How long were you intending to sleep here?” A voice says. You jump in shock and you turn to see Kai sitting, arms folded on the chair. What-
Are you dreaming? You must be dreaming, Kai wouldn’t be here talking to you. This is not Kai.
“Am I dreaming?” You blurt out groggily.
“No.” The person who sounds and looks like Kai replies. Did he just say no? He looks so much like Kai. Dark, tousled hair. Thick, luscious lips…
“You look so much like Kai.” Your voice trails off. “Kai wouldn’t be here.” You stifle a sob.
You miss him, more than words can describe. The hole in your heart says it, screaming it to you, even.
“That’s because I am Kai, you idiot.”

You sit up and the blanket that had appeared from nowhere falls. Kai is really here? You take a good look at the boy watching you.
Oh. It’s really Kai. It is really… him. He’s here.
“Why are you here?” You stare at him, as he stares right back with his hooded eyes. He looks drained.
“Why are you here?” He asks. “For someone who wants to enter Seoul University, she shouldn’t be playing truant you know.”
He remembers! “But that’s none of your business anyway,” You frown.
“What do you mean none of my business?” Kai gets up abruptly, to your surprise. “I--“
Kai walks over and sits on the edge of the bed, right next to you. This is crazy… why is he so close.
Oh, but, he smells the same. The same familiar scent that he always have.
You can’t tell what he’s thinking while he gazes at you, unfathomable.

“Listen. I’m only going to say this once. I don’t know what will happen after this after we get back, but just listen to me.” Kai says, his hand finding its way to yours.
Tears prick your eyes before Kai could continue. What is he going to say? What if you won’t be able to handle whatever he’s going to tell you?
You can’t tell at all. He’s holding your hand, but what does that mean?
“Why are you crying?” Kai uses his other hand to wipe your tears away.
Oh no. Kai. No. Please don’t do that…
“Just say it. I’ll be okay.” You croak, sounding like a sick horse.
Kai watches as your tears fall relentlessly infront of him. It’s suffocating him as well, seeing you in this state because of him.
He has to tell you the things that he wasn’t able to. But now, he will. 

* * *
a/n: YAY! I've finally made up my mind about who to end up with, after so many chapters OTL 
Do leave comments! 
Thank you so much guys, for leaving all those comments. I really enjoy reading it! Its like reading a fic lmao 
#teamKAI? xD