Chapter 19

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

 

Everyone sits around a large table. Even Kai had dressed up pretty nicely, and you are relieved that you had chosen a presentable outfit.
“They are reaching soon.” Mom says, a noticeable happiness in her voice.
The door opens, and you recognize the person… It’s Kris. Your breath hitches.
Kris smiles at you, and you feel your heart soften. It’s been a while since you last saw him.
Kris is wearing a white formal suit, and he looks so different as compared to how he usually looks.
However, he somewhat looks a bit sunken now… you do not know how to describe it.
His parents follow behind. Mom and Dad stand up to greet them, you and Kai follow suite.
“Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Wu.” Dad exchanges a handshake with them.
“We love the rooms,” Mom winks. “Thank you so much.”

Kris automatically took the empty seat beside you. You can smell his strong cologne from where you are sitting.
“Mr. Kim, Mrs. Kim. Nice to meet you, I’m Kris.” Kris politely bows in his seat.
Dad nods in delight, “Indeed a fine young man.” Even Mom cannot get her eyes off him.
“That’s Kai, my son,” She points. “And this is my daughter, ____.”
Kris turns to face you and Kai, an enigmatic smile on his face. “Hello Kai, nice to meet you.”
He sets his eyes on you, and you tense up immediately. Why is he looking at you like that?
Kris leans in closer to you. He feels Kai’s piercing stare, but ignores him.
 “____, nice to meet you.” Kris extends his hand. You gasp. Are you supposed to pretend that it’s your first time meeting him?
You hold up your hand slowly, and Kris gives you a firm handshake. “I’m Kris,” he says.

“How nice!” Mrs. Wu exclaims. “Our kids get along pretty well, don’t they?”
Dad nods fervently, “They sure do.”
The adults chat about the most random stuff, from their companies to what’s on the news and even to tips for good golf playing.

A few dishes are served. You, Kai and Kris simply eat quietly while the adults engross in their own conversation.
You realize that all the dishes are the same ones that Kris and you had on that day he brought you out. They even have it in China?
You look at the dishes, contemplating what to eat next as everything is too delicious.
“I remember you like this.” Kris whispers as he places a piece of coffee pork rib on your plate. 

Kai roll his eyes. “She has hands to take it herself.” He says, his tone cutting.
The adults stop talking, their attention now on you and the two guys beside you.
They sense the odd atmosphere between Kris and Kai.
“Sorry, my son can be quite sharp in his words.” Mom apologizes to Mr. and Mrs. Wu. “Don’t mind him.”
Kris immediately shakes his head, “No, I guess I shouldn’t have done that since Kai doesn’t like it. Sorry Mrs. Kim.”
Mr. Wu laughs, “Our son seems to like your daughter a lot, Mr. and Mrs. Kim.”

Kai sits up straight. “I’m sure our sister isn’t the type of girl that he likes, right, Kris?” Kai’s tone sounds very much like a businessman.
You thought you have already heard Kai’s coldest tone… guess you haven’t.
Kris gives a pleasant smile, “Oh, I don’t have a particular taste in girls, Kai.”
Mrs. Wu watches the drama unfold before her eyes. “Well, our Kris has never been in a relationship, not that we know of. We’re thinking that it’s time to find a suitable partner for him, since he’s going to take over us soon.”
You see Mom and Dad smile to each other, as though they have a plan.
“Or maybe you might want him to look for a partner himself, I’m sure he will do fine.” Kai’s tone is airy, but he still sounds like a businessman trying to clinch a deal.
What’s wrong with him? You frown.

“Kai, stop it. You’re being rude. Apologize now,” Dad demands, trying to mask his anger.
You realize where Kai got his dark expression from… he has the exact same expression as Dad when he’s angry.
Kai clenches his fists. He’s furious over the fact that his parents are thinking of handing you over to someone they met over business, although it isn’t the first time they had attempted doing it.
They don’t know a single thing about Kris.
But, he has also tried to help Kris to get you, didn’t he? Kai’s conscious mind reminds him. Kai’s mind is a whirled up mess.
“No,” Kai grinds his teeth together. Dad huffs in anger.
Kris remains unaffected, maintaining his cool exterior with a smile, “I’m sure Kai has noticed my interest in her. As her brother,”
Kris emphasizes on the word, “I’m sure he’s just feeling a sense of protection over her. Concern for a sibling. It’s perfectly fine, I’m okay.”

Mom seems to like Kris a lot. “Mr. Wu, Mrs. Wu, you definitely have brought Kris up well. He’s such an understanding boy.”
“So… Kris, you are interested in our ____?” Dad says, his eyes gaining back the usual twinkle.
“This is good news!” Mrs. Wu claps her hand happily. “By any chance, ____, you do not have anyone in mind, do you?”
This is the exact same question that Kris asked you before… No doubt, they are mother and son.
You look at Kai, who gives you a solemn gaze.
What will happen if you say no? ...And what will happen if you say yes?

“No…?” You answer, unconvinced by it yourself.
Kai presses his lips into a straight line. He knows where this is heading… He’s experienced it before first hand, some years ago… there’s no mistake.
Kris smiles at your answer, he sure hopes you mean it as well. “Me neither.”
Kai roll his eyes again.
Mom and Mrs. Wu exchange a nod. Mom leaps up from her seat, “Kris, do you want to take our precious girl out? Take her to see what you have here in Beijing, I’m sure she will be delighted!”
Kris gets up from his seat, “It’s my pleasure, Mrs. Kim.”
“What about Kai?” You blurt out. If Kris is going to take you out… won’t Kai be left alone with the adults?


Dad gives you a reassuring smile. “It’s fine, he can stay with us. Go along now ____-ah, be a good girl.”
Kris pulls your chair out, being the gentleman he is. “Let’s go.”
You give Kai a sorry look before Kris leads you out.
Kai remains seated as he watch you and Kris walk out of the room. He has never felt so vulnerable before.
It’s engulfing him, his anger, agony, pain and disappointment.
Why? He asks himself for the umpteenth time. How many times have he seen you walk off with Kris already?

The pain doesn’t become immune. Infact, it hurts him more every single time. Kai wonders when will he finally stop feeling that hurt.
“Kai, you shouldn’t be that rude to Kris.” Dad laments. “I know you are concerned for her, but don’t you think she should have the rights to meet someone she like?”
Kai grimaces. “What’s the deal this time? Are they,” he lifts his chin towards Mr. and Mrs. Wu, “going to pay your company money?”
“Kai! Stop being so disrespectful!” Mom finally scolds. “We’re doing the best for her!”

Best for her? That’s what Kai thought too, when he helped Kris in his confession plan. But what happens in the end?
“Do you even know what she likes, Mom? You become all pretentious, showering her with your half artificial love. She believes everything, Mom. She thinks that you truly love her.” Kai says everything in a breath.
“Don’t tell me it’s the best for her, don’t give me that bull because I’m not taking any of it.”
Mrs. Wu gasps at Kai’s sudden outburst.
 

“…I-“ Mom cannot continue with her words. Every word Kai said is somewhat true, and she becomes guilt-stricken.
“We love her,” Dad sighs, “That’s why we-“
“Oh shut up, Dad.” Kai scowls. “Yes, you flew her all the way to China to meet the son of Wu Corporation so you can marry her off for whatever the deal is, so much love you have for her.”
Mr. and Mrs. Wu hang their head in shame as well. They are guilty of doing this to Kris too.
“So? What is it this time? A business partnership that can benefit both companies? Or was it something like the one in the past?” Kai scoffs loudly.

All four adults remain tight-lipped.
“All of you are sickening people,” Kai kicks himself away from the table and stands up, heading towards the door.
“And just so you know, Mom and Dad,” Kai says before he leaves through the door, “____, the daughter that you love so much, she likes reading. And meat. And I bet you didn’t know she has a fear of flying, go figure how she made it through the flight.”


The door slams shut.

* * *

Author's Note:
HEHE yay double update!
:) Hope you guys like this chapter! AND DO COMMENTTTT<3
I wrote it together with the previous chapter but it was becoming too long! 
Oh and can any of you recommend me a poster request shop? I wanna get a pretty poster for my story :D
Teehee! Thank you!