Chapter 30

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

You and Kai stroll in silence along the streets. Reality strikes both you and Kai, it’s the fact that the both of you are siblings. Kai kicks another stone on the pavement. It’s frustrating, and he’s at a complete loss of what to do.
You coming into the family were the best thing that ever happened to Kai, but viewing from another
perspective, it’s also the worst thing now. Kai quietly holds your hand, as you remain lost in thought.
You give his hand a small squeeze. His hand alone makes you feel safe. It’s warm and thick.
He nudges you to burst your thought bubble. “Yah, Kim Wen.”
Kai said your name again! How exactly on earth did he make it sound so harmonious?

“Please refrain from calling my name.” You accidentally blurt out.
Kai blinks, puzzled. “Why?”
“It’s… distracting.” You murmur. You hear Kai’s laughter resonating loudly. He looks very young
and carefree like this… how charming.
“So you find my voice distracting?” Kai is doing the usual tease. Gah!
You pull your hand away from Kai’s and you fold your arms.
“Nope!” You are acting like a spoilt brat now, but who cares? You vow never to fall for Kai’s teasing
ever.
Kai pauses, watching you throw your childish fit. “Is that so, Wen?”
“Of course.” Your voice trembles for a bit, but luckily it goes unnoticed by Kai.
“Are you ignoring me now?” Kai asks. You say nothing as you continue walking.
“You know, I can scoop you up this instant right here and right now in the midst of hundreds of people if you continue to ignore me.” Kai his lips. This is going to be fun.
Somehow, a part of you is scared out of your wits. What if Kai really means it? But another part of you is also waiting and wanting to see if he will really do it.

The next instant, you find yourself screaming and squirming in Kai’s arms, attracting the attention of the people on the streets.
“Don’t ignore me. Ever. You got that?” Kai leans in and he grazes his nose against yours.
You shut your eyes close tightly. Kai’s going to kiss you next, isn’t he? But in the midst of all these
people?!
You wait, and wait, keeping your eyes closed. Nothing happens.
“I’m not going to kiss you here infront of everyone, silly.” Kai chuckles.
Oh. What on earth are you thinking about, Wen?!
“I…” You flush in embarrassment. There goes all your previous efforts to not make yourself seem
like a fool.
“Are you hungry?” Kai asks as he looks around at the shops nearby.
You nod, you haven’t had anything to eat for the entire day.
“You can put me down now, Kai.”
“Not until I find a place for us to get food.”
Oh god! Kai’s stubbornness!

Just then, Kai’s phone rings. He reluctantly puts your feet back on the ground as he answers a call.
“Hello?... … WHAT?... … Okay, I’ll be right there.” Kai’s voice doesn’t sound pleasant. He’s worried, and panicking. What could have happened?
“Wen. Buy some food for yourself, and go home straight you get it? I’ll meet you at home.” Kai orders.
You gulp, nodding. You have never seen Kai this anxious. Kai gives you one last look before hopping
onto a taxi.

* * *


Kai arrives at an abandoned apartment not long after.
“Kai!” Hye Ri calls out. She’s sitting at a corner of the room, her hands are being tied together, as well as her legs.
Kai quickly bends down on a knee as he untangles the ropes, “Did they hurt you? Where are they?”
Two middle-aged men emerge from another room. “Are you here to pay the ransom, young man?” One
of them asks.
Hye Ri rubs her freed wrists, “Over your dead body, you sleazy .”
“How much do you want?” Kai says, his expression grim.
“Kai!” Hye Ri scolds. “You are not giving this douche anything!”
The other man rubs his chin, his gaze impassive. “How about $500, 000?”
Kai clenches his jaw. “Alright. I’ll write a cheque.”
“KAI!” Hye Ri tugs at Kai’s arm.
“Take it as I’m repaying you back for the stay at the villa.” Kai simply says.
Hye Ri shakes her head desperately, “Don’t give them the money!”
Kai ignores her plea and goes ahead to sign a cheque under his bank account. Thankfully, Kai’s
parents have made one for him ever since he was young, so that he can use when in need, just like
situations like this.


The two men hurriedly take the cheque and leave the apartment.
“Sorry for dragging you into this. I didn’t want my parents to make a big blow out of the matter,” Hye
Ri nods apologetically. “And I only remember your number…”
Kai looks at Hye Ri, arching an eyebrow. “You still do have feelings for me, do you?”
Hye Ri stares at her feet. “Yea,” she mumbles. “I’m sorry.”
Kai says nothing, unsure of what to reply. “I’ll take you home.”
“Okay. Thank you, Kai.” Hye Ri replies, as she limps to the door. The ropes earlier were too tight
around her ankles.
Kai sighs as he pulls Hye Ri’s arm over his shoulder, letting Hye Ri support herself on him. Hye Ri let
out an inaudible gasp as she inhales Kai’s scent.
Kai wonders if you are already at home. Maybe he shouldn’t have left you alone on the streets…
But he knows that he would never forgive himself if the two kidnappers attacked you as well.
"Let's go."

* * *

Kai and Hye Ri reaches Hye Ri’s place, which turns out to be only a street down the abandoned
apartment.
“Hye Ri-ah, what happened to you? Why are you injured?” Hye Ri’s mom asks upon seeing Kai carefully placing Hye Ri down on the couch.
Before Kai can say the truth, Hye Ri quickly replies. “I fell down in school, but I’m fine now Mom, don’t worry.”
She gazes up at Kai, “This is my Mom. Mom, this is Kai. He accompanied me home.”
The lady looks at Kai approvingly, and Kai realizes where Hye Ri got her looks from. Hye Ri is simply the younger version of her mom, a splitting image. Kai greets politely, “Hello.”

Hye Ri’s mom smiles, “Thank you for bringing my daughter back. Call me Mrs. Park.”
“You’re welcome, Mrs. Park.” Kai returns a smile. Mrs. Park looks at Hye Ri, then back at Kai. “Would you like to stay for dinner?”
Kai shakes his head quickly, “Sorry. I can’t. I’ve got something on… What time is it?”
“It’s 7PM, do you have to rush off?” Hye Ri says in a disappointed tone. She was hoping that Kai would at least stay for dinner.
7PM?! It’s been 4 hours since Kai left you. He picks up his bag, “Sorry, someone’s waiting for me. I hope you enjoy your dinner, Mrs. Park and Hye Ri. See you around.”
“Thank you!” Hye Ri yells as she watch Kai leave.
Mrs. Park pats her daughter gently, “He seems like a nice guy.”
Hye Ri smiles. “He truly is.”

* * *

4 hours ago~
Your hunger seems to have dissipated after Kai left. You can’t help but worry if he is okay. Hopefully he will come back early. There is an aroma coming from a food stall.
Kimbap! You search for the source responsible for the fragrant smell in the air. Just then, you feel a tap on your shoulder.
“Hey, why are you here alone?” It is Kris. You turn around to see him alone.
Instinctively, you take a step back. Being alone with him doesn’t seem like such a good idea now.
Kris notices, and he gives a pained smile. “Don’t worry,” is all he says.
“Kai left to attend something urgent.” You murmur. “Why are you alone?”
Kris tries not to take a step closer to you, but the gap in-between you and him is unnerving. “We just ended the celebration, and we have training later on, so we decided to go home first.”
“Oh.” You almost forget that they are soon-to-be celebrities now. “Is it difficult?”
“The training?” Kris is glad that you are still interested in his affairs. He smiles, “It’s manageable.”

Your stomach growls loudly. Oh, right, you are supposed to have your first meal of the day.
Kris chuckles heartily, exposing his gummy teeth. “Someone is hungry.”
Kris takes a look at his watch, “I still have some time… Lunch? Its on me.”
Lunch? Alone with Kris? Although it has happened before, but it is different now, especially after what happened in China.
You contemplate as you play with your fingers nervously.
Kris purses his lips. He knows what you are thinking of. “Just lunch? It will be at a crowded place… Please?”
This is probably the only chance he has, since Kai isn’t around.
“Just lunch.” You repeat. Kris nods as he beams at you. “I know of a very good place to eat near S.M
Academy.”

You and Kris walk to the destination, since Kris assured that it wouldn’t take long.
“What made you change your mind about taking up your parents’ business?” You question.
You already have the thinking that Kris was going to become a successful CEO in a suit and tie, not performing on stage mesmerizing thousands of fans.
Kris put his hands in his jeans pockets. He is wearing a white V-neck shirt and acid wash denim
jeans. It looks really good on him, although it is indeed a stark contrast between his suit-and-tie
look.
“Time. I still have time, ____.” Kris replies. “No. Wait. It’s Wen,” he quickly amends. “Sorry, I’m not
used to it yet. But it’s a nice name.”
“It’s okay.” You reply. “So… you decided not to take over the business?”
Kris shrugs, “Not yet. Guess you will see me on television soon.”

“Can you sing and dance?” You ask, curious. Kris doesn’t seem like that sort… It’s an interesting change, actually.
Kris scratches his head, “Not really. I’m more of a rapper.”
“You can rap?!” You reply a bit too quickly. “Sorry,” you mumble softly.
Kris chuckles at your reaction. “I never knew that I could, too, until they made me try it. It’s a hidden talent,” he winks.
You gasp. Rapping? Kris? ….Rapping?!
“Show me something then.” You challenge.
Kris wags his index finger at you, “No. You are going to pay to watch me perform in the future. No free show.” He breaks into a wide grin.
Somehow, it feels like the old Kris is back. The Kris that you used to like, and enjoy the company of.
“You’ll have to get me the best seats then. And backstage passes.” You mirror his infectious smile.
“A little too greedy, aren’t you?” Kris stops in his tracks, “We’ve arrived.”
It’s a small and cozy looking meat store, right next to a huge building named ‘S.M Academy’ and next to it is a larger building named ‘S.M Entertainment.’

Kris doesn’t eat much, since he’s already had his fill before he bumped into you earlier.
You bolt down on your food, too famished for comfort. Apparently, almost everyone here knows Kris, and they call him the ‘new trainee’.
“The only people who are allowed here are the S.M trainees. This is a special store for us. Cool, eh?”
Kris beams proudly. “If you want to come here again, you can ask me.”
You slow down on your chewing as you ponder. Kris… what does he feel for you now?
“Kris.” You swallow. “Do you… still…”
Kris leans back onto his seat and waits for you to continue, but you don’t. “Do I still like you? Yes, I do. Very much.”
You place the fork down on the table. “But you know that I don’t feel the same way anymore, right?”
“Yes. And so?” Kris stares at you while you avoid his gaze.
“So… we can be friends. Like… only, friends.” You say. This is becoming very awkward. You shift uncomfortably in your seat.
“I decided to become a trainee is also because I can stay in Korea, instead of flying all over the world if I took up the business.” Kris runs his finger below his lip. “So that I won’t be too far away from you.”

Oh. “But-“
Kris hushes you. “Just know that I’ll be waiting.”


* * *