Chapter 23

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

 

Kai gently puts you down on your bed as you squirm. It’s stuffy despite the air-conditioning, making you mumble gibberish.
Kai frowns as he looks at you. “Why did you drink so much when you can’t handle it?”
“Give me one more glass!” You yell like an obnoxious kid.
Kai shakes his head, “I’m never leaving you alone with alcohol anymore.”
“But I want more cosmopolitan…” You start to cry out, all your inner feelings start to overwhelm you. Is this a side effect of the drink?
You see two Kais looking down at you. Both of them are frowning, their gaze exceptionally dark. Uh oh.
“Cosmopolitan…” You murmur softly as your eyes droop.

 “You’re not supposed to make me feel this way…”
 “And don’t decide things for me, will you? I want to have my own choice!”

Your words replay in Kai’s mind over and over again, sending a painful stab to his heart every time.
“Is that what you really feel, ____?” Kai’s deep voice fills the room. “And what do you mean by ‘I’m not supposed to make you feel this way’?”
Kai sighs as he engages in a one-man conversation with himself. This is stupid, he figures.

Kai sits next to your bedside. He looks at you fondly, taking the chance since you appear to be sleeping.
He leans in as he rests his head on his folded arms.
Kai gently brushes your hair away from your face, admiring your facial features. If only you can belong to him… If only.
“…Do you have any idea what you mean to me?” Kai’s eyes soften. “I wish I can tell you all the crazy things my heart starts to feel ever since you came into my world,” he whispers.
You hear Kai talking, but your clouded mind isn’t able to register what he says.
Kai scrunches his nose as he taps yours. “You ought to be punished. I’m going to go back home and confiscate all your books. No meat as well.”

You furrow your brows as you hear the last few words clearly. “No!”
Kai quickly leaps up in shock. You haven’t been awake all these while, right? He stares at you, in fear that you have heard what he said.
You remain silent. Kai waves his hand infront of your face, “Are you awake?” His voice trembles.
A splitting headache catches up with you. “No, I’m not.” You manage to reply as your hand instinctively reaches to your right temple.
Kai sulks at your sarcasm. “Headache?” Kai asks. You nod, cringing.
Kai takes the first aid kit from the table. “You’re lucky I brought this. Look at you, suffering from headache with… cuts on your lips.”
Kai scowls as he says the last words.

You obediently eat the painkillers that Kai feed. You sit up on the bed, hugging a huge pillow in your arms. You feel numb from the sadness.
“Kai.” You say. He turns to you after keeping away the first aid kit. “Yea?”
“Mom and Dad loves me… right?” You dare not look at Kai, lest his expression gives away the answer.
Kai wordlessly sits on the edge of your bed. He stares hard on the ground beneath his feet.
Kai is completely torn between telling you the truth and lying. “I’m sorry,” is all he says.
Your tears threaten to fall as you quickly look away from Kai, your eyes fixed at the ceiling.
You force a laughter, “I guess not.”
What you feel is beyond painful... it feels like as though your heart's been thrown and ripped apart, then finally shattering into a million pieces.
Your hopes of having happy and loving parents dies off like a wilted flower.

Kai breathes heavily while watching you hurt like this. It hurts him, so much more than he can bear.
He could have avoided this if he knew what his parents had planned for you when they first adopted you.
Kai, you could have avoided all this pain she’s feeling… you could have. He puts all the blame on himself.
“Don’t cry,” Kai shifts himself so that he’s facing you now. Your tears fall relentlessly as you bury your head in the pillow.
That’s it, Kai decides. He is not going to let you go through any more pain, if anything, he’d rather be the one bearing it instead.

“____.” Kai says, causing you to bawl into the pillow even louder.
How you wish Kai weren’t here to watch you break down… Anyone, but him.
Kai gingerly removes the pillow from your arms, taking away the only form of comfort you have.
Before you could retreat into a fetus position, Kai holds both of your wrists firmly, but gently.
Kai tries not to tear up as he stares into your crying face. Your eyes are already red and puffy, your tears still flowing.

Kai swears to himself that this will be the last time you will be in this state…because in the future, he will be there just for you.
“It’s okay if they don’t love you,” Kai murmurs, his eyes never leaving yours. “Because, I…” Kai hesitates.
Is he ready for the consequences? Maybe not, but nothing matters now.

He takes in a deep breath.
“Because I love you, ____.” Finally.

Did Kai just say that he loves you? Your heart skips a beat, as he gazes at you tenderly.
No, Kai, not now when you’re all messed up like this.
Kai’s hands move to your face as he wipes your tears away. “I love you,” he says again with more confidence. “And I mean it.”
You sniff twice. “Don’t cry,” Kai whispers. “It hurts me so much.” Finally, he can say these to you after bottling up all his feelings for you.
You stare at him, unsure of what to say. You… do you feel the same way?
Your heart screams out a loud yes, but your mind reminds you of the fact that Kai is supposed to be your brother.
“Thank you, Kai," you smile.
Kai immediately relaxes upon seeing that smile of yours that he loves dearly.
“Thank you, ____, for coming into my world.”
Your vision starts to blur as fatigue hits you hard. You surrender as your eyelids weigh down.
 

* * *

 

You groan as your eyes open to see rays of sunlight shining brightly through the curtains.
Your head hurts terribly. What’s happened? Oh, you remember.
Kai sleeps peacefully next to you, his arms wrapped around you protectively.
The memory of Kai from last night flashes in your mind. "I love you…"

You smile as you lean against Kai’s bare chest. You blush for a bit, but it’s too comfortable in Kai’s arms. You snuggle up to him.
Your worries, your troubles, everything, it’s all dissipated. However, Mom and Dad still linger in your mind.
“Good morning,” Kai’s voice sounds sleazy. Inside, he’s dying in bliss.
Keeping you warm like this, keeping you close to him throughout the night... Oh how Kai wishes he could do this everyday.
“Morning.” You quickly reply, embarrassed. Kai smirks as he leans down to meet your gaze.
Kai looks at your face lovingly, and your eyes wander everywhere except on him.
“Stop looking at me like that,” you blurt. Kai sheepishly smiles at you, “It’s too early in the morning to be this shy, ____.”

Although you haven’t replied Kai about your feelings, but he is already satisfied with this.
Until you tell him to go away, Kai was sure that he wouldn’t leave your side.
Last night, he had sworn to himself that he would never let you be in that state ever again.
You notice as Kai stares at your lips. “It’s too early in the morning to stare at someone’s lips like that, Kai.”
He ruffles your hair playfully, “I was just checking if your cuts are healed, what are you thinking of?”

Oh no, what are you thinking of, ____! You quickly turn away from Kai so he wouldn’t see your red face.
Kai pulls you from behind, his hands snaking around your stomach.
He locks his fingers tight. “This feels so wrong,” Kai chuckles.
You ponder... Kai is right. The both of you are siblings, you shouldn’t even be having feelings for Kai… This is so, so, wrong.
You unclasp Kai’s hands, to his dismay, and you quickly scramble off the bed.
“We shouldn’t be… doing this…” You stand at the bedside, watching Kai’s smile fade.

Kai frowns. “We aren’t even real siblings. What’s wrong?”
You shake your head. As much as it’s true, but still… “It’s just…wrong,” you say timidly.
Kai rolls his eyes, unable to contain his disappointment. He gets off the bed as well, and you watch him walk to the bathroom.
Your eyes find it difficult to leave his well-built figure. Wait, what-?
The doorbell rings, interrupting your train of thoughts.
“I’ll get it,” You say.

Mom and Dad are standing at the door. “Good morning, our ____-ah.”
You are at a loss of words, knowing that they don’t feel the way you thought they did.
“You look like you have cried,” Mom says as she holds your chin up to take a closer look. “Are you okay?”
Do they really not love you? You are utterly confused.
“I’m fine, I’m just…tired.” You lie.
Dad nods in relief, “Did you have fun with Kris? Where did he take you?” His voice is eager.
You blink at Dad. Didn’t he know about you and Kris returning to the hotel shortly after leaving?
“… Yeah. He brought me to Beijing’s National Stadium.” You answer softly, as you tuck away that memory somewhere in your head.
You definitely don’t want to experience it ever again.

Mom gives you a rather genuine smile, “I’m glad you enjoyed yourself. Dad and I have to stay for some business deal with Wu Corporations… so you and Kai will have to go back to Korea first, without us."
Oh. Business deal with the Wu’s? Does that involve you and Kris?
“The flight is at 2PM,” Dad says blandly. Kai stands behind you, a little bit too defensively.
You sense the tense atmosphere between Mom, Dad, and Kai.
“Business deal? What deal?” Kai reads your mind without fail, again.

Mom and Dad both avert their gaze. “Well… It was initially going to be a partnership.” They briefly set theirs eyes on you before continuing, “But we’re thinking of something else now. We’re meeting them later. But you and ____ can go back first.”
Kai instantly knows the reason for the sudden change in plans. He glances at the oblivious you, and back to Mom and Dad again. “2PM?”
They nod in response. “Okay," he says.
Mom kisses your forehead, “We’ll see you soon, dear.”

“I’m confused, Kai.” You say as the door closes. “They…”
Kai pulls you into his arms, resting his head on yours. “Don’t think too much about it. Remember what I told you last night?”
You flush, luckily unseen by Kai.
“This is so wrong, I know.” Kai admits unwillingly. “But I don’t know where else you can be now except in my arms, right here with me.”
Right here with Kai…? Somehow, his words seem to be true. 
“Until you find someone who can truly take care of you, I’ll be here... because you'll need someone,” Kai murmurs.

It's not just a promise to you, but to himself as well. 

* * *

Author's Note:

Can you believe it, I actually teared a bit writing this chapter :(
I think I got too... emotional..... lol *wipes nose*
Kai TTTTTT lol

YAY and Kai finally confessed (((even I think it's a drag))) Kris lovers, don't worry lol he's going to be popping out again like REAL soon lol
Do leave comments!!! <3