Chapter 33

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

 

The words continue ringing in Kai’s head. I.want.her.back. He wants her back.
“Why?” Kai finally manages to croak.
Mr. Lee folds his arms in deep thought. “Why? Because she’s my daughter.”
Kai feels his blood start to boil. He clenches his fist. “Why did you leave her there in the first place then? And why didn’t you look for her throughout all these years?”
“Back then,” Mr. Lee quickly answers before Kai asks more questions. “I was starting up S.M Entertainment. I couldn’t afford the time on her, not to mention when I got busier afterwards.”
He gazes over at Kai, who’s expression remains grim. “I’m not here to seek your permission, Kai. Your parents have agreed to it already.”
Kai scoffs loudly at sheer disbelief. His parents what?
“She’s not going with you,” he hisses. Kai’s hand is getting sore from the clenching.

Mr. Lee’s lips twists wickedly. He is known for his cunning methods – to get what he wants.
“What makes you think so?”
“I won’t let her leave with someone she barely knows.”
“Oh. But didn’t she leave with your parents when they adopted her?” Mr. Lee’s wicked smile remains as he rubs his chin, looking at this boy trying to put up a fight. A futile one, as long as it is against him.
Kai slumps back onto the leather seat. “What do you want?”
“You, to bring her to my side again.” Mr. Lee folds his arms. “I’ve heard she’s the closest to you.”
Kai flinches. What should he do? No way he’s going to hand you over to him that easily. “What if I don’t?” Kai mumbles.
Mr. Lee shakes his head in mockery, “There’s no use, Kai. I’ll take her by force then.”

Taking you away by force? Kai shudders at the thought. If only Kai had the power to make you stay. If only. There is nothing he can do. Vulnerable and helpless, that is all he is now. Kai feels his chest burning up, and his throat becoming dry.
“Will you take good care of her?” Kai’s voice is hoarse. The thought of letting you go suffocates him completely.
The older man hesitates for a while, before giving a quick answer. “Of course.”
“Please do.”
Mr. Lee relaxes for a bit, now that he’s won the fight. “I will.” He leans forward and entangles his fingers together. “I’ve heard you are good at dancing. Are you interested in joining our company?”
S.M Entertainment? Kai blinks a few times at him.
“Becoming a trainee and studying at S.M Academy.” Mr. Lee explains. 
Kai is speechless, almost gaping at him. All these information is too much for him to handle in a day.

Mr. Lee automatically regards Kai’s silence as a yes. “Take Wen with you, with her belongings packed, and meet me at S.M Entertainment in the evening. And, just say goodbye to her before you arrive. I don’t want to see all that drama.”
Kai feels a sharp, agonizing pain somewhere in his chest. Goodbye to you…?
 He inhales irrationally. Never had Kai felt something like this before. Too much, it’s way too much.
“Okay.” Kai finally forces out a word.
“I hope you put in a good word for me too.” Mr. Lee smiles as he opens the door.

* * *

You hurriedly copy down the notes that this teacher is writing. Oh gosh, at the rate he’s writing, your arm is going to break off sooner or later.
Everyone in class is anxiously writing as well, knowing that the examinations are coming up.
You feel a buzz from your phone. Discreetly, you check your phone to see 1 new message. From Kai! You grin to yourself.

“Go straight home after school. I’ll be at home. Be careful. – Kai @ 11:01AM”

You quickly punch in a reply.

“Okay! See you later! – Wen @ 11:03AM”

Did anything happen? Kai sounds like something urgent has happened. You shrug and resume copying down notes.

* * *

Kai sighs as he clears your wardrobe. The dress that he bought for you with the other guys falls to the ground, looking as solemn as him. Kai picks it up. The memory haunts him relentlessly. Is he not going to be able to see you anymore?
He tries to think towards the positive. Well, at least that’s one thing off from your life list – to meet your real parents.
Kai wanders idly around your room. It used to be his 2nd room, where he would dance on his own if it was raining outside, or simply lie on the bed and drown himself in his favorite songs.
Kai chuckles a low, sad laughter. He remembered not being very fond of the idea of a new sister. How much things have changed.
To Kai, you gave home a new meaning to him. He started looking forward to going home, because it means spending time with you, and only you.
The house isn’t just an empty shelter after you came.

Kai quietly tidies up your books. Your ‘best friends’, so to speak.
He flips through the pages casually, half wondering what can be so enthralling about these.
“It’s just books.” Kai murmurs to himself. He binds up all of your books neatly, knowing that it’s probably your most treasured possession.
Kai looks around your room, which is now pretty much bare. He decides to leave it the way it is now.
Making a silent exit with your stuff, Kai locks the door. He probably doesn’t need it anytime soon. Or maybe, never.

* * *

 

You make your way home right after school, just like Kai had instructed. The autumn breeze messes up your hair time and time again, annoyingly.
“I’m home.” You call out. You see nothing but your luggage at the living room. Why is your luggage here?
Kai trudges down the stairs, a bit too quieter than usual, you realize.
His gaze is distant, lost, and even cold. That’s not Kai. Something must have happened.
Your steps are careful as you walk towards him.
“Kai.” You smile, trying to ease whatever tension in him that is blatantly shown. “Are you okay?”
Kai nods, “I’m fine. We’re heading out.”
Heading out? With Kai? Your eyes lights up at the thought. “Do I have to get changed?”
He shakes his head, “There’s no need to. Let’s go.”
And all the excitement you had seconds ago vanishes into thin air, gone like that. Something’s eating Kai.

Kai says nothing even after getting into a cab. Your luggage is at the trunk of the
vehicle.
Is Kai mad at you? You tug at his arm. You miss the playful, teasing Kai already. What exactly happened?
“Where are we going?” You try to sound light-hearted.
Kai shifts away from you, nearer to the window. “You’ll see.” His tone doesn’t sound happy – at all.
So, Kai is not telling you anything. He speaks in monotone, and he even moves away from you.
He was fine this morning, telling you about taking roller coaster rides and all.
Tears start to well up in your eyes. Seeing Kai like this after a day at school is not what you had expected.
How you wish you and Kai are at home, enjoying the lazy afternoon instead of heading to god-knows-where.

Kai hears soft sniffling sounds coming from you. He resists from turning to face you. Wen…
Kai continues gazing out of the window, his heart getting crushed further at every passing minute. He cannot look at you now. Not now, when he’s about to let you go in a matter of hours.
Kai knows he wouldn’t be able to turn away from you if he gives in now.
Sorry, Wen. I am so, so sorry…
Kai takes out his earpiece and plugs in one side into your ear. Some upbeat song is playing, and you obviously haven’t heard of it before.
You wipe your tears messily. Now isn’t the time to be crying... Kai, Kai, Kai. What is he thinking? Why is he acting like this?

Finally, the cab comes to a halt. You and Kai stand infront of the building that is all too familiar to you. It’s the S.M Entertainment building.
You catch Kai’s pained expression as he remains tight-lipped and carries your luggage into the building.
Why did Kai bring you here? You follow behind closely as Kai looks for something. He asks the guards for directions to the president’s office. The president?! Mr. Lee Soo Man?!
“Why are we meeting him?” You ask. You and Kai are in the same elevator that Kris brought you to.
Kai takes in a deep breath. Is he going to talk to you? Finally?
“Wen.” He murmurs, his voice almost trembling. “He’s your father.”

You blink at Kai a few times. “What are you saying, Kai? This is not funny-“
“Lee Soo Man is your father. Your biological father.” Kai looks at you, his eyes dark and intense.
What is Kai saying? The president of S.M Entertainment is your…father?
The elevator door opens with a ding, before you could sort out your thoughts. Kai reluctantly pulls you along with him as he enters the same office that you were in with Kris.
No...no… This isn’t happening. How is it possible? Kai must be lying, right?
You gaze up at Mr. Lee, who looks back at you rather expectantly. Kai places your luggage at the door, and takes a seat next to you.

“Mr. Lee,” Kai greets in the same monotonous manner.
“Thanks for bringing Wen here.” Mr. Lee turns to look back at you. Is this man standing before you really your father?
“Wen.” He gives a smile that reaches his eyes that are now in a thin line. “I’ve missed you.”
You stare at him, incredulous. “Are you really my father?” Your voice is barely audible.
“Yes. I am.” His smile gradually fades away. “I’m sorry, Wen. I shouldn’t have left you at the orphanage.”
You watch as he walks around his wide office table and stops next to you. He holds your hand in yours. “I won’t let you suffer anymore, I promise.”

 

You quickly remove your hand away. Your tears threaten to fall again. From happiness? Surprise? You don’t know either.
Although you have hoped to meet your real parents for your whole life, this just doesn’t feel right. It’s not the kind of reunion you were hoping for… somehow.
You turn to look at Kai, “You knew all along?”
Kai remains expressionless.
“He knew. So he came to approach me and told me that he can hand you over to me if I’d let him be a trainee in S.M.” Mr. Lee states.

What?

“Kai..” Your voice is shaking. Is this why he had been silent the entire day? Out of guilt?
Kai’s eyes widen in shock. He had never ever said something like that. Handing you over to him so that he can be a trainee? Bull!
“I-“
Before Kai can justify himself, Mr. Lee glares at him, warning him not to say anything.
Mr. Lee mouths a ‘say-anything-and-you-will-be-sorry’ to Kai, and he lifts his chin towards you.
Kai scowls, too appalled. Kai had already agreed to hand you over, why is he making up things out of the blue?

Kai’s silence merely affirms your guess. So Kai has been using you all these while? Just to become a trainee?
“It’s not true, right?” You cry, your tears falling relentlessly. Whatever Kai has said to you before is just so that he can have this outcome today?
Kai simply looks at Mr. Lee, his expression intricate… No!
Just then, there is a knock at the door.
“Good timing, Kris.” Mr. Lee says. “Please take my daughter away.”
You turn to see Kris’ perplexed look as he takes your luggage and forcefully pulls you out of the office.

Your eyes never leave Kai, but he doesn't turn around.

* * *

Author's Note:
YAY!! I hit 200 subscriptions!!! *tears of joy*
Oh my god, thank you everyone for the constant support be it in on my wall or private messages, especially the comments!! 

아.. I don't know what to say ㅠㅠㅠ 
Thank you so much guys <3333
I will try my best with everyone's encouragement ^^;;