Chapter 35

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

 

“Are you sure you guys want to do this?” Kai mutters. Upon receiving Kai’s text message about transferring to S.M Academy, Chanyeol, D.O, Suho, Sehun and Baekhyun immediately rushed down to S.M Entertainment.
Lee Soo Man was more than happy to sign on the other 5 young, promising boys. Things are going so much better than he expected.
“Of course.” Sehun gives a tiny smile. “Kai, we won’t let you face this alone.”
D.O nudges Kai playfully, “Dude, after so many years of friendship?”
Kai shakes his head at them. “It’s going to be tough, guys.”
“Not when all of us are together,” Chanyeol laughs, his deep voice resonating.

Lee Soo Man hurriedly implements his plans into action. This plan of his is going to be an extremely successful one, he knows it.
He starts off by piling up their schedules with training, training, and more training. Vocal training, dancing training, fitness training, all sorts of training ever possible.
“The six of you will have to train extremely hard from today onwards. 3 months, that’s all I’m giving you.” Mr. Lee explains briefly.
“3 months?” Baekhyun frowns.
Mr. Lee smiles, but a rather hostile one. “With the other half of the group that you will meet soon.”
All of them, except Kai, looks at him in astonishment. “There’s another half?” Suho arches a brow.

Kai had already guessed that Kris and gang will be included in the ‘other half’. Dread fills Kai as he wonders how often they will have to interact with each other. Does Mr. Lee know about their not-so-nice side? Kai shrugs.
“There will be twelve of you in total, split into two groups…” Mr. Lee closes his eyes, as though trying to get getting revelation. “EXO-K and EXO-M.” He says.

 

Kris had made too many checks on you while you were sleeping throughout the night, causing the others are beginning to wonder if he is suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder.
“Kris.” Lay scolds. “It’s the 17th time.”
“It is?” Even Kris is surprised. “Give me 5 minutes. We will leave for practice after that.”
Kris carefully enters your room and sits on the edge of the bed.
Your peaceful sleeping face sets him at ease, but he can’t help but notice your puffy eyes.
You probably cried yourself to sleep… Kris sighs, watching you intently. Kai means something special to you, he’s sure of it.
In the past, it was Kris that you had special feelings for. Kris sighs again, knowing that chances of reigniting those feelings in you will be difficult.

It seems to Kris that lady luck is shining upon him, now that you are staying in their dorm. Maybe there’s still a chance, Kris’ eyes gleams for a bit, gazing down at you.
You mumble something incoherently and you turn around to face Kris, to his surprise.
“Wen?”
You tug Kris’ arm, your eyes still closed. “Kai…” Kris pats your hand slowly. He’s heard it for a couple of times previously when he came to check on you.
“Don’t go… Kai…” You let out a sob. Kris brushes a rolling tear off your face. What happened between you and Kai that’s hurting you like this?
Kris shakes you gently and you wake up. You find it hard to open your eyes fully, like as though something heavy is resting on your eyelids.
Where are you…? Why is Kris here? Oh. Right, their dormitory. You furrow your brows, the sinking feeling coming back to you.
How long will this feeling stay?

“Are you alright?” Kris looks worried.
You struggle to get your stiff body to sit upright, “Yea.”
“You called for Kai in your sleep.” Kris states calmly. “A few times.”
Oh no. Your sleep talking habits! Kai… You sigh, shaking your head. “Are you leaving for practice?” You notice that Kris is donned in comfortable training clothes, and his hair being tied back by a hairband.
“Um. Yeah.” Kris nods subtly. “And your father called me earlier. He tells you to meet him at his office.”
You remain in a daze as you register Kris’ words. Yes. You should sort things out with Mr. Lee. He’s your biological father after all.
“Do you need me to go with you?” Kris offers. “I can skip trai-“
You quickly shake your head, dismissing his idea instantly. “I can go on my own, Kris. I know how to get there. Thanks.”

After Kris leaves for training with the others, you prepare and head to S.M Entertainment building to meet Mr. Lee.
It strikes you that he has full control over your life, now that Kai has handed you to him.
You figure that he probably has the tendency to want to control people, judging from the way he handles the people that works for him.
Will he control Kai as well? You take in a huge breath at the thought.
Kai… do you truly know him? What if it was just a façade of him that you fell in love with?
Wen, stop thinking about Kai! Stop!
 

You arrive at the dreadful office, once again. This is where you last saw Kai yesterday… The seat that he occupied is empty now.
Your mind wanders, wondering where he could be now… No! Stop!
At this rate, you are going to drive yourself insane.
“Yes… We’ll use teasers… …I have a marketing plan completed… Yes. 3 months… Definitely… Call all the broadcasting stations… Okay. Yup.” Mr. Lee realizes you are standing at the door. He is impassive. Good. “I’ve got them to meet later after their training. Yes. Okay.”
You sit on the chair that Kai sat yesterday, facing Mr. Lee who places the phone down on the desk.
“How is everything going along?” He asks. He sounds a bit like Kris when he’s in his businessman like mode.

“Not too bad.” You lie. Did he call you to his office to ask you this?
Mr. Lee fixes his gaze on you, folding his arms, leaning back onto his seat.
“What do you want to do? You can ask for anything.” He says, his eyes twinkling.
You swallow. What do you want? You don’t want anything, actually. But there are many questions you want to ask.
“Do I have a mother?”
Mr. Lee regards you quietly. “No.”
“…Why?”
“She passed away.” You could have sworn you saw your father’s eyes waver.
“Oh.” You simply say, not wanting to probe into the details. It feels weird, because just not long ago you were wishing badly to meet your parents. But now… maybe not.
Somehow, you had this idea instilled in you that your parents are going to be perfect human beings.

Does that mean he is your only family member?
“So, what do you want to do? Do you want to pursue your studies? Or? Just tell me.” He says, his tone bland.
Seoul University… Of course you want that, but not with his help.
You shake your head, “Just let me continue studying.”
“Where? In your current school? Or in S.M Academy?”
“I’m fine with anything.”
Mr. Lee his chin in thought. “Since you will be staying with the EXO-M boys, why not you study at S.M Academy with them?”
“Why do I have to stay with them?” You come across as rather rude, unintentionally.
He gives a smile before speaking. “I have plans.”

Of course he would have. Your father had probably already planned your entire life out for you and all of his artistes.
You sigh, somehow not interested in whatever he has planned. At the end of the day, you have no choice but to follow it.
“So… Kai works for you now?” You accidentally blurt out. You grimace hearing his name coming out from your own mouth.
“Yes.” Mr. Lee says. “His friends, too. They are in the same group as Kris, except that they will be promoting at different countries.”
It’s obvious that this is what your father is interested in. He animatedly explains further, “12 members. 6 in Korea, another 6 in China. Same songs, same concept.”
You lose track when he starts talking about making teasers and stuff like that. This is definitely not your kind of thing.

“Oh, and you’ll have to attend a press conference later on tonight. Remember to call me appa when there are reporters around.” There is a sense of urgency in his tone. His image is probably at risk if you don’t, you figure. You nod.
“I’m going to check on the boys. They will be practicing together today for the first time.” Mr. Lee stands, adjusting his CEO outfit. “Joining me?”
Does that mean that you get to see Kai? Yes! But what if he doesn’t wants to see you…? The different possibilities sink into your mind.
Whatever. All you know now is that you have to see him. You don’t want to be suffering like this.
 

As you are nearing the dance studio, your heart feels like it’s going to jump out from your mouth anytime.
Kai is in that room! You inhale deeply, trying to gain composure. Wen, relax. Its just Kai.
Upon entering, you and your father are greeted by the sight of Kai sprawled onto the ground, blood gushing out from the side of his lips. Kai!
Kris is hovering above him, while the others are pulling him back. “Kris! Get a grip!” They yell.
Chanyeol, D.O, Suho, Sehun and Baekhyun rush to help Kai up.
“President Lee.” Tao whispers anxiously.
“What the hell is going on here?!” Mr. Lee closes the door shut behind him as you stand next to him.
Why did Kris hit Kai? You wince as Kai limps to the corner of the room, the rest supporting him as he does.

Kris is furious, his eyes blazing with anger. You have never seen him lose his cool like this before.
“Why are you boys beating each other up?! You are all supposed to be in the same group!” Anger is getting to Mr. Lee as well. All of them remain silent, but there is still tension in the atmosphere.
You take occasional peeks at Kai. He doesn’t look like someone who has just fulfilled his dream. Why doesn’t he look happy?
Kai, Kai, Kai. As unfathomable as ever…
“All of you only have 3 months. All of you have signed the contract, so jolly well behave appropriately!” Mr. Lee is almost shouting, causing more tension in the room.

Kris’ softens upon meeting your gaze, but he remains aloof.
Mr. Lee sighs, “Kris, you are the leader. Please carry out your duties. I don’t want to see this happening again, you hear me? Continue with training after everyone’s settled down.”
“Yes.” Kris murmurs.
Before you leave the room with your father, you take one last look at Kai. And once again, he doesn’t return the look.
Kris sighs as the door closes, leaving the 12 of them again. He trudges towards Kai.
“Let’s not put our personal affairs into our work.” Kris says dryly. “We’ll discuss this after practice.”
“After practice?” Xiumin asks. “Aren’t you attending Wen’s press conference?”
Oh, right. Kris remembers that he had planned to attend the press conference later on.

Kai tilts his head up and looks at them, confused. “What press conference?” 
“President Lee is going to announce about Wen being his daughter.” Xiumin replies, a little too coldly.
Oh, . Kai knows this isn’t going to turn out well, knowing that you can’t handle being under the spotlight.
“Practice.” Kai says, wiping the blood on his lips away. 

* * *

Author's Note: 
I still can't decide whether I'm on team kai or team kris, uh oh ;) Do comment!
And I've been noticing more and more new readers commenting!! Hello~!!!~ Feel free to comment as much as you like!
My readers are really lovely people ;)

Enjoy your weekends~