Chapter 3

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

"They.. really didn't do anything to you, right?" Kai asked for the third time. You shook your head and sighed, "No, Kai, don't worry."
You and Kai finally reached home. Mom opened the gate widely, "Welcome home my kids!"
You went into her inviting arms for a hug while Kai simply walked into the house. 
Why is Kai being so cold to Mom..? Did anything happen..? 
Mom massaged your shoulders, "How was first day of school? Did my daughter have fun?" 
You smiled and nodded, "Absolutely!" The last thing you would ever want was your Mom to worry.

You sat next to Kai at the dining table, while your parents sat opposite the both of you.
"____-ah, we'll be flying to London tonight, its for a business deal." Dad said. "London?!" You exclaimed loudly.
You looked over to Kai, he doesn't seem a bit disturbed by it. You knew London was a very far country.
"For how long..?" You asked. Your hunger seemed to have disappeared to nowhere. 
"Not sure, probably about a month or two." Mom replied. "Its okay, Kai will take care of you at home, right Kai?"
A few moments of silence passed before Kai stood up abruptly. "I'm done eating," he said, and he stormed upstairs.

It shocked you for a while there. "Mom.. I can take care of myself, I don't think Kai is very happy about it. It's okay, really!" You said, trying to break the tension.
You could tell that Mom and Dad were worried as well. 
"It's not your fault, ____-ah. It's ours." Dad said.
After speaking, Dad took out a stack of cash notes. "Use this money until we come back. It should be enough."
You didn't get to spend time with your parents for 2 days and yet they are going to leave for a month or two.
"I will spend the money wisely. Thank you Dad." You said. 
Mom smiled. "Sorry, darling. I hope you understand. If you are short of cash, you can ask from Kai, don't worry about it."

That night, you couldn't fall asleep. You had already bid goodbye to your parents as they walked through the door with their luggages. 
You didn't mind being independant, since you were already trained to do so at the orphanage. 
You turned to look at the clock. It was 12AM.
You got out of bed and tip toed your way to the balcony, hoping not to trip over anything.
The night view was refreshing, it was definitely your favorite place at home. 

"After stealing away my 2nd room, now you want to steal my secret hide out?" It was Kai's voice.
You couldn't see where he was because of the darkness, but you bowed in apology anyway, "Sorry.. I just like this place a lot." 
Neither of you spoke for a few minutes, you could feel the tension rising.
You decided to break the silence, "Why didn't you say bye to Mom and Dad earlier? The-"
Kai cut in, "They only came back not long from their trip to HongKong. Or was it Japan? Or Beijing? Whatever." 
You felt Kai's pain in his words. Although Kai seemed to have everything in life, be it looks, money, or friends, he still seemed lonely.
"You should have already figured out why they decided to adopt you. Sorry to say." Kai said, clenching his teeth.

Although it was disappointing, but you felt sorry for Kai. 
"Don't expect a warm, loving family. Because we're far from that." Kai continued. 
There was a strong urge in you to disagree. 
"At least they love you. You have parents to love you." You retorted. 
"They might not be able to spend much time with you, but its because they want the best for you!"
Kai sprung up from the bench and stood infront of you. You could see him clearly now, as though he came out from the darkness.
"Best? For me? THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT!" Kai was starting to tear up as he shouted.
You were the first person Kai had ever opened up about his family to. 
You got startled at Kai's sudden outburst, but you tried not to show it. 

"When you don't even have any idea who your parents are.. That's really something you don't want." 
You calmly said. "I'm grateful for Mom and Dad, if not I would never have experienced family love, ever."
Kai was breathing heavily as he absorbed every word you said. 
He imagined what it would be like in your shoes, to grow up knowing that you are alone, to grow up realizing your parents left you. 
Kai started to relax. How did she manage to pull through.. he wondered in his still angry state.
Kai cleared his throat. "There's still school tomorrow. Turn in early."
With that, he walked through the door, leaving you standing in the darkness all by yourself.

The next day, you woke up and prepared for school. 
The thought of having to face your classmates made you slightly dread school, but you still hoped for a good thing to happen.
After you were done preparing, you went downstairs. Kai wasn't seen anywhere.
You looked at the time. 830AM.. You and Kai were going to be late if he doesn't appear soon.
You went upstairs and stood outside Kai's room. "Kai, are you awake?" You called out. No response.
Is Kai still asleep..? You thought. Seriously?! 
"Kai!" You yelled, pushing the room door open. Your eyes opened wide (just imagine D.O lmao) as you saw Kai's topless back.
He was standing in the room, about to put his uniform on.
"KAI.. CAN YOU PUT A SHIRT ON?!" You yelled loudly as you turned around. 

Kai was surprised at your reaction. Hasn't she seen a hot topless guy before? 
What's with her.. 
"____, can you learn how to knock on the door?" Kai said nonchalantly. 
You were astounded by his reply. "WHAT? Y-you.."
Kai let out a loud sigh, "First, you were touching my face and now you barge into my room while I'm changing." 
"Don't tell me.." You heard Kai's heavy footsteps getting closer. "You.." 
You stiffened up as Kai stood behind you. "..are interested in...?"
"NO!" You were close to screaming. "We're going to be late.. S-so.. just hurry!"

You quickly ran downstairs, your heart beating wildly. Why is he like this.. really..
Kai chuckled as he watched you chicken out. He put on his uniform quickly.
"Ah, it's so fun teasing her like this," Kai thought. He smiled to himself. "I should do that more often."
Usually when Kai's parents went overseas, all he did was coop himself at home.
Kai always invited friends over just to keep him from boredom, but even his friends got tired of it.
Kai thought about what happened last night at the balcony. Maybe I shouldn't have yelled at her.. 
He grabbed his bag and went downstairs. Kai heard you scold yourself for opening his room door without knocking.
"Let's go, ____." Kai said, trying to hide his laughter. 

You and Kai were soon on the bus to school. Kai with his earpiece, again.
You didn't like it, because you will soon get bored and eventually fall asleep.
"Kai," You nudged. "Kai."
Kai took out his earpiece, "What is it?"
Your mind was in a mess, not knowing what to say. But you didn't like silent bus trips. 
"Oh. Um." You started. "Kris and gang.. what's wrong with them?"

Kai became rigid when you said 'Kris and gang'. "Did they talk to you yesterday?" Kai gritted his teeth. 
"No.." You lied. 
Kai nodded, "Good. Don't get close to them. No, wait, don't even talk to them."
"But why..?" You asked. You disliked the way that group of guys spoke or acted but you didn't know exactly why.
Furthermore, even Kai and Chanyeol didn't like them. It must mean something.
Kai gulped. "They.." Kai realized he couldn't continue, especially since its you. "Just.. don't."

You and Kai alighted the bus when it arrived at your school. Surprisingly, it was still early.
"Remember. Don't talk to them." Kai warned again. 
You nodded. "Got it.. Thanks Kai.." you paused. "Oppa? Do I call you that?"
Kai's heart started to rush crazily when he heard you said that word. Kai.. what the hell is wrong with you?
She's your sister.. Your sister.
Kai stared at you for a while before mumbling, "Whatever, suits you." 

You couldn't help but feel slightly dejected. Why is Kai suddenly so cold towards you..?
You watched him as he walked towards his classroom, while you head for the opposite direction.

"____!" You entered the classroom and saw Kris calling out your name. 
"Hello." You said. 
Kris put an arm around your shoulder, "Why the sudden attitude babe?" 
Babe..? You cringed at that word. "Can you don't-"
"Don't call you babe? Then what would you like me to call you? Baby? Or you would you prefer something else?"
You tried to contain your anger. "Don't touch me like that. We're not close."

You walked towards your chair beside Tao and slumped onto the seat. What is the problem with them..?
Kris went back to his own seat. Usually girls would like it when he called them that but why are you retaliating?
Kris remembered something. "____-ah, look what I bought for you!" 
You reluctantly turned to look at Kris. It was a bouquet of ferrero rocher chocolates. 
"Take it!" Kris extended his hand further towards you. 
You stared at Kris. He.. bought a gift for you? Why-
You heard Luhan whisper to Tao who was sitting beside you, "Is Kris hyung for real?" ((lets just take it as luhan is younger))

Tao whispered back, "I don't know. He's only met her yesterday, though. Usually he wouldn't.."
Xiumin cut into the conversation, "Remember that EunJi girl? He didn't even spend a single cent on her even after they went to be-"
"Shut up Xiumin, oh my god." Chen covered Xiumin's mouth before he could finish.

Kris smiled brightly at you, waiting for you to take the gift.
You didn't understand what the rest were talking about, but you just didn't feel like taking it.
"Keep it for yourself. I don't know you well.. so.. you shouldn't be giving me a gift." You said.
Kris pulled your chair towards him. "But I like you." 
You sat rooted to your chair, not even budging an inch.
Kris's body was quite close to you now, it made you start to feel nervous.
"Can you don't-"
Before you could finish, Kris pulled you even closer. You held your breath as you felt blood gushing to your cheeks.
"Are you blushing?" Kris laughed softly in a deep voice. 

You stood up and pulled your chair back to the original spot. "N-no.. I'm not." 
"I'm not taking the gift. Keep it for yourself."
You heard Kris let out a sigh. "If you're not taking the gift, at least let me send you home. I can drive!"
"NO! I'm going home with my.. brother." You were still not used to calling Kai your brother. It just feels..weird.
Kris grinned, "Great, then I can send both you AND your brother."
"N-"
"So its settled!" Kris adjusted his body to face the front, totally ignoring you.

As soon as the conversation ended, the teacher entered the class and immediately started teaching.
Just great.. you thought.