Chapter 15

너의 세상으로 (Into Your World)

 

a/n: New chappie! As I was writing this, I was listening to IU's Waiting and I thought you guys should listen to it while reading it too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5RhMRW1SiA
Hope you enjoy! :) Do leave comments xxx

* * *

The lessons past by slowly, and it wasn't helping that Kris kept taking occasional glances despite him being only an arm length away from you.
Time was passing by even slower for Kris. He was waiting and waiting for the clock to strike 1PM, indicating that school has ended.
You noticed Kris has been pretty tense for the entire day. He kept tapping his pen on the table, a sign of impatience. 
Finally, the bell rang. Kris quickly stood up abruptly and faced you, “I'll see you tomorrow then.”
You were slightly disappointed as you watch him leave the classroom. 
Didn't he say he had a surprise for me? You thought. He probably forgot about it...

“See you.” Tao had a smile playing on his lips, along with the other guys chuckling. It was making you feel a little weird.
You decided to stay back in class for a while to do some homework. Kai told you that he had something to attend to after school, so he probably wouldn't meet you that early to go home.
“Homework.” You said to yourself as you flipped a page open from your science book. 
You tried to focus on the questions, but there was a commotion coming from outside the window, making it impossible for you to think.
Eventually you gave up and peeked through the windowpane. Three floors down were a flock of students gathering, as though there was some performance going on.
Curious, you packed your stuff and decided to go downstairs as well. 

“1 new message,” your phone read. It was Kris. “Come downstairs.”
Now you were really convinced that there was something going on. You couldn't help but wonder what was going on with each step you took down the stairs.
At the end of the stairs you saw the guys, Tao, Luhan, Xiumin, Chen and Lay. It looked rather odd as Kris wasn't with them. 
They beckoned you to come down quickly and you did so, your curiosity at its peak. 
The 5 of them ushered you to where the students were at. All of them were looking up at the 2nd level, but you couldn't see anything.
“She's that girl, right?” A student behind you whispered. “Yeah, Kai's sister.” Another replied.

You joined the crowd, not having any idea what was going to happen. Where's Kris? You thought.
Just then, a figure appeared on the ledge of the 2nd floor balcony. The commotion amongst the students got louder.
You immediately recognized that person. It was Kris. Why is he standing there?
Kris scanned the crowd and finally saw you, smack right in the middle. 
Just perfect, Kris thought. He was a little intimidated by the unexpected large crowd, however. 
Kris cleared his throat, “Can you guys hear me?”

What on earth is Kris doing? You watch him as he prepares like as though he was going to give a valedictorian speech. Someone from the crowd gives him an OK sign.
“Everyone,” Kris had a stable start. “I know what all of you are thinking now. ‘What is that player doing up there, what ulterior motive does he has, why is he not dead yet’...”
 Kris’s voice trailed off as he ended the sentence, the confidence in him slowly building up.
“But today, I would like all of you to be my witness… I’m going to change for the better.” Kris said, his voice loud and clear.

You blinked repeatedly. Why is Kris doing this all of the sudden? A few students scoffed, as though in disgust.
“I met this girl. She was the only one who didn’t know about my past, she probably didn’t even know a single thing about me, not even my family’s wealth. But after she did, she still continues treating me like a normal person instead of shunning away, and I am thankful for that.”
Kris can’t be referring about you now, could he…? You listened on.
“No, it wasn’t because of the money. It never was,” Kris said confidently, “And I want to change. For her.”


“I don’t care if you believe me or not. But someone has to.” Kris found your face in the crowd much more effortlessly now.
“____-ah.” Kris continued, “All these people here will be my witness that I will change. However...”
Another figure appeared beside Kris. Your eyes widen in shock as Kai stood there next to Kris, his expression bland and monotone.
“Your brother, Kai, can vouch for me if anything. And, I am very sure that he wouldn’t let me off if I go back on my words.”

Kai’s gaze met yours. It was a pained, and indescribable feeling as you looked into his eyes that no longer seemed to have life.
Kai’s lips were in a straight line as he gave a subtle nod to you.
It was a small action, but beneath that seemed to hold a deep promise, just like what he told you earlier.
“No matter what, if Kris ever hurts you, I’ll be there for you.”
Your attention was brought back to Kris as he spoke again. This time, it was a question.

“Will you be mine, ____?”

The students surrounding you began to chatter, as though debating whether on what you should answer him.
“Say yes!” A student at the side yelled. More and more students began to give you nods in approval.
You looked up to see Kris, eagerly waiting for your answer. He tried to maintain his cool demeanor, keeping his face straight without losing eye contact with you.
Kai had his side facing the crowd, leaning against the pillar behind him.
You wished you had taken Kai’s question seriously earlier on, now that it’s really happening.
Kai watched you from the corner of his eye. She’s pondering over it…

The seconds felt like hours as you felt everyone’s eyes on you.
You weren’t able to think properly, with all that pressure on you. Your mind was in a whirl, what should you answer?
You started to tremble a bit, nervously playing with the hem of your skirt with your fingers.
Kai couldn’t watch any longer. Never mind that Kris was confessing to you, but putting you in the middle of everyone’s attention and making you come up with a decision was probably a bad idea.
He didn’t want you to be put under something like that, alone. 
Kai immediately rushed downstairs, while you stood rooted to the ground, still in the spotlight.

You felt a warm hand grab your arm. “Not today, Kris.” Kai yelled.
Fear struck Kris as he watched you and Kai squeeze through the surprised crowd.
You didn’t reject him, but things didn’t go the way he had planned. Kris had thought you would immediately agree, but it seemed like he was wrong.
Why…? Kris wondered, as the bouquet of roses in his hand fell to the ground.

* * *

 

Kai kept on walking, his pace getting impatient and quick.
Finally, it felt like you could breathe. You hated being in the middle of everyone’s attention, and Kris’s confession made it altogether pressurizing.
It was like as though Kai had provided an oxygen tank for you while you were almost running out of air in the midst of all those students.
Kai stopped when the both of you reached the same room that Kai danced in this morning.
Kai didn’t say a word. He simply watched as you sat and curled up into a ball, hugging your knees together.

You realized how weak you were, to break down under such little pressure that came from Kris’s sudden public confession.
Kris probably feels disappointed at you now… You remember when Kris brought you to Namsan Tower, the glorious scenery and his kind words.
Sorry, Kris... you thought. I’m sorry…
You wished you had the same confidence that Kris had, to be able to say his true feelings.

A tear escaped from your eye, and you immediately bury your head deeper in shame.
Kai helplessly watched as you sobbed quietly. He wished he could take you out of this pain, even giving it to himself if possible.

He should have known that it would make you like this, he would have long ago told Kris to drop the idea of some stupid public confession.
Kai was unsure of what to say, or what to do. He started to doubt if dragging you away was the right thing to do.

“Thank you.” You mumbled softly, but audible, your face still buried. You sniffled for a bit as you tried to stop the tears.
“..Have you ever watched Pororo?” Kai blurted out. Crap, Kai. Really? Asking if she have ever watched some children’s cartoon?
Kai’s heart sank deeper upon seeing your tear-stained face as you finally lift your head up.
You wiped your face in the most unhygienic way possible. “Of course Kai, everyone watches Pororo.”

“Well,” Kai’s voice cracked. “I can imitate Krong quite well.”
You tilt your head, skeptical. You gradually sit cross-legged facing Kai, waiting for him to show his imitation. Krong had always been your favorite character in that show.
“Here goes nothing,” Kai cleared his throat.
Kai lifted his hands up, his fingers curled inwards, “Krong~!”
You threw your head back as you laughed loudly, “Kai! That’s just… Not alike! At all!”
It was not only different; it simply looked hilarious on Kai. He was always having this cold, calm exterior and now he’s imitating your favorite cartoon character, badly.

His heart softened after seeing your smile. That’s all he wanted to see.
Kai quickly placed his hands to his side, “You show me, then.”
You stopped your laughter as you tried to recollect the memory of Krong’s voice.
“One, two, three!” You raised your hands the same way Kai did, “Krong~!”
Kai placed his fingers on his lips, trying to contain his laughter. It was definitely much better than his version, but above all that, you looked absolutely cute to him, despite that tear-stained face of yours.
Kai’s heart skipped a beat in a way he never thought it ever would.

“Not too bad,” Kai said, his eyes brightly lit.
You realized you were smiling, and for a moment, Kris’s confession slipped away from your mind.
“Thank you, Kai.” You thanked him again, truly grateful from the bottom of your heart.
Kai gave you a smile, “For?”
“For…” You didn’t know where to start. Kai had always been there for you. It was like he was the person that understood you the most. “For knowing my heart.” You return a smile.

That’s because you are so easy to understand, Kai thought.
“Of course I do,” Kai replied.
You somehow wished Kai would be there for you, always. It just felt like nothing could go wrong with him around.
Once again, you are thankful for having this family.  
 

* * *

OMG Kai's unseen teaser picture T_____T