Secrets

The Lighthouse

 

Chapter 8: Secrets

Secrets-One Republic

 

Another weird lesson. This time the room had mirrors. I mean mirrors are required for dancing lessons. However, why do we need mirrors on the ceiling? Plus the random period of time slotted in known as ‘freestyle time’. Wasn't she suppose to be teaching the history of lyrical and contemporary dance plays? AND why in a world did a random mirror ball appear at any moment she pleases? In addition, that weird girl was always emitting some sort of strange look at me. Still one must give credit when it is deserved. She is one heck of a dancer. I almost fell at a turn though. I never was this clumsy. What is up with my luck? Anyway why do I have such an uneasy feeling about her? Do I even know her?

 

‘The world is amazing!’ I jumped a little. ‘I know you agree.’ I glared at the smaller frame. Creep. ‘You didn’t come for the assigned sessions.’ I rolled my eyes at her. Who wants to go for counseling? What more with Hermera the mental. ‘Jessica I’m helpful you know.’ I sighed. Why did she have to follow me? Doesn’t she have something more important to do? ‘I have nothing on today. So I can very well follow you till the end of the world.’ Yes I’m running our of luck today. 'There is your happy face.' She beamed at me and chuckled while folling me like an annoying fly. Stupid bug.

 

I tried to quicken my pace. She was right beside. I came to a halt. ‘So you finally going to do things my way?’ I sighed. ‘I’ll take that as a yes.’ Next, she grabs my arm and drags me to her chamber of doom. Well at least her room was cool due to the air conditioning. Sit anywhere. Feel the freedom of choosing.’ She did a little twirl before taking a clip board. Next she put on a black frame glasses without frames. ‘Don’t I look more professional?’ I blankly looked at her before shaking my head. ‘Wet blanket.’ She pouted and took a sit on her sofa.

 

She push up her glasses and smiled at me brightly. I took a seat on her bed. ‘Ah seems like our first meeting has left a mark since you choose to sit on the place where you lied.’ I look down at the bed that I was on. The familiar yellow sheets that was still on the soft bed cushions. She is either really good or overly weird. ‘I heard you talked to Taeyeon once.’

 

Just by remembering that, I could feel my cheeks heating up. ‘Aww you are shy.’ I glared at her. ‘So was it a one off thing?’ Is it? Was it?’ I mean I haven’t spoken since then and Taeyeon, being herself, apparently totally understands it. ‘Seems like you aren’t sure why you spoke too.’ I nodded my head. ‘Well I always knew Taengoo has some sort of charms. Never knew it would work on you. Darn! Don’t tell me I’ll be losing my 10000 won to Sooyoung.’ My jaw fell open. WAS I A BET SUBJECT?!

 

‘Oh don’t be mad. It is just that Sooyoung really got to me. Besides it is all for the spirit of discovering our luck.’ I dislike her. ‘By the way I went with Yul. Seemed like the perfect fit to your jammed up mouth don’t you think so?’ Yul? As in the girl who can’t stop speaking? Weird. ‘No it isn’t. Look. at it this way, opposites can attract become stronger. Makes you feel more in line with the power of speaking. I think she’ll be your lighthouse you know.’

 

I gave her a blank look. ‘Thats why to ensure my money to be MY money, you’re having time with her.’ Someone should inform whoever it is in charge that the doctor has finally crossed the line. ‘Come on now.’ She takes my hand and happily pulls me along. What am I? Her doll? Even with the fumes, I could only struggle against her grip for a mere 5 minutes. Curses to the freestyle time. 

 

She opens the door and suddenly halts. Causing me to hit her back. What is wrong with her. ‘Hello there!’ I felt her grip on my hand tightened a little. ‘Exciting times isn’t it?’ That voice. I looked past the crazy doctor and there she was again. ‘Sure is Hyoyeon. Going to dance away your anger?’ Hermera’s tone was light but had a hidden sting to it. ‘Maybe. Hi there love.’

 

I was taken aback by her sudden greeting and the way she said love. Looking at her, something amiss was sounding my alarms. ‘I really would love to hear your lovely singing again love.’ My eyes widen. ‘I’m waiting.’ She smiled then leaving us. Who is she? Like seriously...I'm whining in my head.

 

Hermera was tensed as she watches her skip away. ‘Be careful. Whoever makes her speak like that usually end up pretty much worse than before.’ What does that mean? I searched for answers in her worried gaze. ‘However winning a bet makes a spirit healthier.' What? How is that even logical? 'Come on.' She tugs at my arm.  'Yul is waiting. She seemed to have really taken a liking towards you.’ I nodded my head slowly. Hermera seemed to be back to her usual mental self. Then I was pulled along once more.

 

‘YUL!’ She waved frantically at the tan girl in the middle of the cafe. Beside her sat Sooyoung shi who seemed to be really enjoying her noodles. We sat opposite them. ‘Hello inhaler of all things edible.’ Sooyoung rolled her eyes and resumed her focus on her food. ‘Hello Jessica shi are you hungry? The noodles seemed to be cooked really well today. Soo is on her forth bowl already' I looked down the body of the lady still totally immersed in eating her food. How did she get past one bowl is a mystery.

 

‘She is a heavy eater. Yul would you help me? I think it would be better if you get food with me.’ She nodded her head. ‘Well I guess Sunny is thoughtful. Letting Soo finish up her meal in peace since I’m pretty sure Jessica shi would be rather quiet.’ Sunny smiled really wide and patted lightly on Yuri’s shoulder. ‘You give me way to much credit.’ For once I have to agree with Hermera.

 

I watch the two happily chatting away as they headed for the counter. It was only when I felt my goosebumps begin to appear on my left hand did I noticed that someone was staring at me. Slowly I turned my head and there they were. Sooyoung’s eyes looking straight at me. Somehow she makes me feel nervous. ‘So what is it about you that has two people head hunting for?’

 

Two people? Who? What? ‘Seems like you are really clueless. Well it isn’t like this place is as transparent as it is made to seem.’ Whatever was she saying? Oh head hurts... what is with everyone and their mysterious way of speaking. ‘Watch your back cause the one closest delivers the biggest blow. Like a beautiful shotgun fired right into your skull.’ I gulp in fear. ‘Who are you?’ Finally she looked up at me and smiled. ‘I’m the right hand man with a conscious that is slowly disappearing.’

 

That smile was familiar. That kind of smug look like I’m already in a cage but is to blind to make out the bars that imprison me. She has me wriggling in fear. So what did you two talked about? More like what did you talk about Soo?’ Yuri’s eyes round and clear unlike her friend’s. That look that greeted me was something more. Like a fog that has crippled the onlooker but protected the predator. Who is she and why do I feel like I’m in for a world of trouble?

 

‘Jessica shi you look pale but still beautiful. Are you alright? Or do you need to squat at the middle of the pavement again?’ Yuri was looking at me with concern, Sooyoung was acting as the past conversation was nothing. Absolutely nothing. Was I day-dreaming? Hallucinating? ‘Jessica shi?’ I tried to fake a smile. Brush it off, pretend as well as Sooyoung was doing.

 

‘Yul, lets go. If Jessica shi is with the overly efficient energizer then they need to be alone.’ She grabbed Yuri’s hand, dragging her up. ‘But Soo, we just sat down and I wanted to talk to Jessica shi. I wanted to be more friendly. Soo...Soo...’ It was like she was talking but her body was in control by Sooyoung. ‘Soo are you sure we should be leaving? Jessica shi is looking at me like she is bewildered by your action. Soo...are you listening to me?’ The rest of her rebuttal was getting softer and softer. I just watch them disappear.

 

What is going on and why in the world am I here? What the hell did life strap me on? Then the exclamation mark appeared above my head. I turn to face Hermera who greeted me with a smile. I’m surrounded by freaks that does nothing but assist in the confusion. ‘There she goes. Just like you.’ I turned to face the voice. With a look of her face, I was reassured.Yup surround by freaks.

 

I took the bowl of noodles and begin to eat. ‘I see the similarities. The avoiding, the mental cursing and of course the evident disliking.’ Now I can totally not understand why she and Yuri can have a very fluent conversation. ‘Still somehow it is these kind of people that is like amazingly attractive to my influential eyes.’ The way she goes about complimenting herself is so smooth and shameless. Ignoring her, I continued to eat the delicious noodles.

 

‘You know being a fake mute and deaf makes an outright liar.’ Thanks for the information. ‘One day I will find out why you are an outright liar and why Soo hates this place but checks herself in.’  What? That revealation made me choke a little on my noodle. ‘Ah seems like someone is interested in Choi Sooyoung. Seems like someone needs to place a 10000 won bet on her.’ Thanks for the caring remark. Once I had coughed my irritation away. I rolled my eyes at the one that was here to stay.

 

After that lunch with mental. My steps back to the room was slow. With each step taken, I find myself sinking deeper into confusion. Why did she have to say all that with a very disgusting smug on her face? The most important question was why was I the target of her? Also what is up with that girl that gives me the random bits and pieces of her attention. Ah this lovely place of secrets awaiting my genius spirit to unlock.’ That closing sentence of hermera before twirling off plays back in my mind. 

 

Honestly she was right. This is a place of secrets. Lovely or not was based on one's opinion. I'm not going to process her flawed viewpoint about here. Unlocking of secrets...yet the only thing I learnt in that afternoon outing is that Hermera is one heck of a self praiser. Argh...I stomp my way now. Head hurts.