Flipped Coin-3: The Lost and Her Puppy

The Lighthouse

 

 

Flipped coin 3: The Lost and Her Puppy

YoonA

 

 

The leg smashes onto your back. Are your bruised ribs hurting even more?

 

Are you hurt?

 

That was what I should have asked. Yet my feet stayed root to the ground. Only my eyes were paying any attention to your needs. 

 

The tall girl chuckles as she walked her victory parade around you. She picks you up roughly by your hair. Her saliva must be disgustingly landing on your porcelain skin. After all, I could see the great width of . 

 

I couldn’t hear the words that she spat. I could only see the ugly forms was contorting to. I close my eyes. Wishing to teleport, to be in between you and her. Then, kicking her hard in stomach like what she did to you. I opened my eyes. 

 

I’m still the coward behind the wall. Watching all of it occurring time and time again. My heart stings. This is the price of being like...  this. My hand grips the edge of the wall as she slams your face towards the cold floor. 

 

Somebody should help you. However we all know how this goes. I’m not special. I’m no different than the majority. I quickly glance around the corridor. 

 

Girls interlocking their hands, laughing and talking happily. It was as if we were taught to be vocal to drown out the silent cries of plea. This place was where language skills came first. Humanity last. 

 

Stop. Stop. 

 

I chanted in my head. Hoping that telepathically, I would be jean grey. That my words would translate to her actions. 

 

15 minutes. 

 

That should be the mark. I shifted my gaze back to the group of five leaving you. You sprawled out on the heartless ground. Should I approach you? 

 

The message was transmitted but the leg was numb. Hence I was in no nearer to you than even a step. My observation of you behind this wall continued. 

 

The bell rings. 

 

I bit my lower lip. I should be on the other side of the building for Micro lecture by Dr Kang. I needed to go. 

 

But you... you’re on the floor. Barely even moving at all. 

 

I should get you help. I had called the nurse through speed dial. Just where in the world is she? 

 

Didn’t she know that after 15 minutes it will be over. It is their standard procedure. It may be due to their lack of stamina. However 15 minutes and their unrighteous and condemnable actions will cease. What is taking her so long. 

 

Another ten minutes have passed. 

 

Finally, Mrs Lim’s petite body scurry through the hallways. 

 

Hurry up. 

 

Mrs Lim assisted your lifeless body up. Then she stared straight at me. I know she had heaved a sigh. 

 

I nodded my head and headed for Dr Kang’s class.

 

------ - ----- - ---

 

Three months. 

 

That is a pretty long time since my days of trembling in fear at the violence laid out in the open. This is the real world after all. 

 

I spread out my arms, stretching my lower back. Gosh, to think that I used to rush for classes. 

 

‘Yoong ah... please...’ I heaved a sigh. Yes old man, thanks for reminding me that I need my self prescribed pills. 

 

Carefully, I tried to sneak in. ‘Yoong’ Mrs Lim called my name without even bothering to turn her chair.  ‘She left already.’ 

 

Instead, of searching for her like some wild chicken, I sat on the examination bed. My hands reach upwards towards the blue cubicles. Opening them as silently as I could, my mouth watered for the sweet delights. 

 

Before I could reach a tiny pill of happiness, my hand was roughly swatted away. Well that isn’t very nice. I sat upright and stared at Mrs Lim with a pout. 

 

‘Don’t you give me that look. You and I know that I’m not Kooyeon shi.’ She pointed out the obverse. I took my bad and slide of the bed. There was no need to be here if she was keeping the fun away from me. 

 

I headed for the door. I turned to bowed at her before sliding the door. I turned to my left then right. 

 

Are you alright?

 

My hand scratched the back of my head as I choose left this time round. 

 

--- -- --- - - -- -- - -- - -- --

 

Thursday. This time I choose a spot where I could sit and watch. Strategically, I was still covered from the whole fiasco. 

 

Six months and almost everyday, you would walk home and lie a little more to your parents. Isn’t that sweet? I shake my head in disapproval of you weakness. 

 

My thumb rubs against my forefinger. Ah the air is rather humid today. 

 

On contrary of watching the standard fifteen I took my leave by the five minute mark. There has to be a limit on one’s stupidity. 

 

Funny how you are so alike to him. Both who love to flaunt their stupidity. 

 

----- -- - -- -- -- 

 

‘Thanks.’ I patted KooYeon on the back. He twitching left eye made his smirk creepier. Oh wells guess that is what pills do to you. ‘My...m.. ...my ...ple...le..sure.’ I nodded in approval of that display of determination.

 

Popping three at one shot, I took them in dry. These babies better shut the old man up. 

 

I entered a random class. Picking the far corner seat, I laid my head on the table and rest. 

 

---- -- -- -- - ---

 

‘Jae...Im YoonA is there.’ In my black abyss, someone was fearfully whispering my name. 

 

‘Who cares. This B*tch here deserves a beat down.’ I like her arrogance. In my state of half slumber, I couldn’t match the face to the obnoxious speaker. 

 

Curious, I opened my eyes. What greeted my sight was the view of annoyance. 

 

A high and mighty chair being lifted up, the target locked on the familiar frail looking girl. 

 

It was going to crash down on her. Ah what the heck.

 

I sprinted forward. Covering her, I felt the wood splinted around me. So much for the earlier back stretched.

 

Turning around, I looked at her expression of fear. ‘Scram.’ 

 

The left corner of twitched. ‘W...w...why.’ I shake my head at her.

 

Damn girls have strength these days.’ Twisting my back a little, I picked up one of the wooden shards. 

 

I threw up the shard. Catching it after 3 rotations, I pointed it directly at her delicate throat. ‘I wonder what would happen if the process of a chair became nothing more then sherds was record and shown to the hardworking police officers?’ 

 

Tilting the wooden shard slightly nearer to her, I watch her gulp uneasily. 'Maybe we two can have some fun in a cell or will you be in hell by then?' I smiled at the thought. Next, she pushed her other two companions aside and ran. 

 

Well, that was fun. I threw the shard aside. At least, the old man pleaded in words. 

 

Turning around I stared at her round eyes. I scoff at her and left.

 

---- -- - --  - --- - 

 

‘Yo!’ I greeted indifferently, as she gasp a little. ‘I can’t believe you are still surprise.’ Walking past her, I took the supplies to bandage and proceeded with the self medication.

 

She swatted my hands and undid all my effort. I leaned back on the chair and watch her did her magic. ‘I don’t get why you are fighting all the time.’ She states as she wraps my arm properly.

 

I don’t get why I’m not in jail.’ She heaves a sigh in respond. ‘It is with substantial evidence that you aren’t sentenced.’ I looked towards the cactus I gave her last christmas. 

 

‘Like the bullies here?’ I asked. She pulled a little too tight on the wrap causing me to wince then glare. ‘We are in no place for that.’ I nodded my head condescendingly at her excuses. ‘We are in no place for anything.’ I grudgingly murmured. 

 

--- - -- - - - -- -- - -- - -

 

‘Mrs lim.’ She didn’t look up. ‘Will you get her off my back.’ Rudely I pointed at the annoying Maltese. She beams and waves ecstatically at the puppy. Argh. 

 

‘Wasn't part of job scope.’ I slump down on the examination bed. ‘Anyway, I am here to inform you that today is my last day.’ 

 

Her eyes became two spaceship. So this is her expression of full attention. Disgusting. 

 

‘Sis said that me fighting and popping pills will only go against the intent of Justice being blind to me. Hence, I’m going to Northern Stars or something.’ She just blinks at me. 

 

Whatever. ‘I’m leaving. Bye.’ 

 

‘WAIT!’ Her rather high pitched command made me face her once more. ‘Here.’ The cactus I gave in her hands. ‘You are giving me a gift I gave to you? Frankly, I’m a little insulted if that is the case.’ I said while observing my old gift.

 

Then, a hard smack was felt on my head. ‘YAH!’ On the last day and she still hits me. ‘It is with meaning that I’m doing this.’ Disbelief spread across my face.

 

‘I’m no longer going to wrap your wounds. Like how you wanted me to be stronger, I’m asking you to be stronger.’ My tongue traces the upper deck of my teeth as I take back my old gift. ‘I’m gone.’ 

 

I waved my hand in the air and without turninhg back to see my only dear friend in this hole.

---- -- -- - -- - - ----

 

I faced the gates as the puppy pats my hand gently. Northern Star.  Well at least it wasn’t some other stupid name. 

 

Next, I stared at the puppy. ‘You are so annoying.’ She only smiles and holds my hand tighter. 

 

---- - -- --- -

 

I place the cactus gently by the only open window. Staring out at the view of the open field, I ask you, Ms Lim, are you okay? 

 

Heaving a sigh, I pick a pillow and made it struck the puppy’s head with a thud. ‘Idiot.’ She rubs her sore spot that I hit while shifting her gaze. ‘Scram.’ 

 

She didn’t run like the rest. She only stick out her tongue at me. So the puppy does know how to rebel. Rolling my eyes, I crashed down on my new bed. It was only then did I smile at them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hey all, this one is written by Kel. Hope you all enjoy it.