Chapter 4

The Only Exception

The sun was gleaming through the window of Kai's bedroom. The sun rays hit Kyungsoo when he opened his eyes. That wasn't what woke him up though because he was an early riser. He took in his surroundings, remembering what happened to him last night. He sighed. For some reason, he wondered if his father was thinking about him or even worried about him. He scoffed at the thought and proceeded to get out of the bed. As he did so, he still felt a bit of pain on his arms and stomach. He groaned quietly, not wanting to wake Kai up if he was still asleep. Kyungsoo walked out of the bedroom and walked into the bathroom to wash up. He didn't have a toothbrush so he looked around in the bathroom until he saw a traveling kit with unopened toothbrushes. He opened one and began to brush his teeth. When he was finished, he washed his face. He then left the bathroom and walked quietly into the living room. He was right, Kai was fast asleep. 

Kyungsoo admired Kai's features as he slept, smiling at the sight. The growling of Kyungsoo's stomach escaped him from his thoughts. He was hungry. He his heel and walked into the kitchen. He opened to fridge to see it was filled with food. Why did Kai go out to buy food then? he thought to himself then shrugged. 

"I'll make him breakfast as a thank you", he whispered to himself.

He took out eggs and bacon. He then took out pancake mix he had found in the cupboard. He then got a skillet and began to cook breakfast. Everything was smelling and looking just as he had planned. Kyungsoo was a great cook. His mother loved his cooking the most. He smiled, remembering the way she would compliment him and always ask him to make more. He made a huge batch of pancakes without realizing. The more the merrier he concluded. He was about the start making omelets when the door bell rang, making Kyungsoo jump. He wasn't sure if he should open it or not. He walked out of the kitchen into the living room and saw that Kai was still sleeping. He decided to go see who was at the door. He looked through the peep hole and saw a boy with a baby face. He looked really young and his eyes were adorable. Feeling that no harm will come to him, he opened the door.

The baby face behind the door was Luhan, Kai's best friend. When Luhan noticed it wasn't Kai that opened the door, his smile faded. He looked at Kyungsoo questioningly before speaking. 

"U-Uh hello. Is er, Kai home?", Luhan asked, looking at the doe-eyed boy.

Kyungsoo nodded and stepped away from the door, letting Luhan inside. 

Luhan took off his shoes and proceeded into the living room. He saw that Kai was still sleeping and an evil grin crept on his face. He took off his backpack and put it on the floor. He jumped on Kai, making Kai scream and his reflexes made him hit Luhan in the face.

"Owwwww", Luhan cried.

He pouted at Kai, to which Kai just giggled. "Sorry. You shouldn't have jumped on my like that so it's your fault technically."

Luhan rolled his eyes and got off of Kai. 

"Something smells great", Kai said as he was fully awake now. He sat upright on the couch and Luhan sat next to him.

"Uh yeah. Who's the guy that opened the door for me?", Luhan asked.

Kai scratched his neck, "A friend I met last night".

"So you just.....brought him home?", Luhan asked raising one eyebrow. It wasn''t like Kai to bring random people home, even if they were in some sort of trouble.

"Ahh it's a long story. Anyway, his name's Kyungsoo."

Luhan nodded, not asking anymore questions. Kai got up and walked toward what was smelling so good. He saw Kyungsoo making bacon and he had three plates with eggs and pancakes already on them. Kyungsoo looked up at Kai and smiled.

"Good morning."

"Y-You didn't have to ma-", Kai spoke but was cut off by Kyungsoo.

"No, it's alright. It's the least I could do. A-And since your friend is here, I made him a plate too!", Kyungsoo grinned widely. 

How can he be so damn cute and so happy even after all he's been through? Kai wondered. 

Kai walked closer to him, watching from behind Kyungsoo as he diligently made them bacon. He moved his hand and pressed a little bit on Kyungsoo's stomach. Kyungsoo winced a little bit.

"I-It still hurts?", Kai asked a little above a whisper.

"Y-Yea. But don't worry a-about me. It'll go away soon", Kyungsoo replied. He was feeling hot now, not because he was cooking but because of the proximity  between them. Kai gently rubbed Kyungsoo's stomach. 

"I'll add some more medicine tonight okay?", Kai told Kyungsoo.  He stepped back away from Kyungsoo. "I'm gonna go wash up alright? And uh, did you find an unopened toothbrush somewhere in the bathroom?"

"Uh yeah, thanks", Kyungsoo said, not giving eye contact but just focusing on cooking the bacon. Kai soon disappeared down the hall into the bathroom.

Kyungsoo began to sweat. The feeling of Kai's hands along his stomach still lingered as he placed the pieces of bacon onto the plates he had set up.

Kyungsoo looked at his creation, feeling content. Kai was still in the bathroom so he decided to bring Luhan his breakfast. 

Luhan was in the living room going through his phone. He looked up when he saw Kyungsoo near by. He gave him a small smile.

"Um. I made breakfast", Kyungsoo said as he handed Luhan his plate.

Luhan was amazed at how polite and kind Kyungsoo was. "Thank you so much, but you didn't have to". 

"It'd be wrong if I just made it for Kai and I. Don't worry about it. Eat up!", Kyungsoo giggled and left. 

Wow, was all Luhan could think as he took a bite out of his breakfast. It was the best breakfast he'd eaten in a long time. He smiled and ate happily.

Kai had walked out of the bathroom and into the kitchen the same time Kyungsoo was walking into the kitchen. They just smiled at each other and grabbed their plates and went into the living to where Luhan was. He was downing his food and Kai and Kyungsoo laughed at the sight of him. It looked like he hadn't eaten in weeks. 

"W-What?", was all Luhan could say when he saw them laughing at him. He swallowed his last bit of food. "It was so good. Thanks a lot. Are you a chef or something."

Kyungsoo was flattered. "Haha no. I guess it just comes naturally." He beamed. Kai and Kyungsoo sat next to Luhan and proceeded to eat their breakfast. 

When Kai took his first bite, his face began to glow. Luhan and Kyungsoo noticed at the same time. 

"This is really amazing", Kai said while chewing so it was a bit muffled. "You have a talent".

"I told you!", Luhan chimed in. 

Kyungsoo just smiled and ate his breakfast. He was happy for the first time in a while. 


 

Author: First I want to thank the lovely subbers that found my story. I also want to thank you all for the lovely and encouraging comments. <3 It warms my heart, really. 

I might not be able to update again today because my mom took the computer charger to work so I can't use the computer all day. I tried to make it as long as I could tbh. Hope you enjoy!