Chapter 16

The Only Exception

Kyungsoo ran out of the cafeteria and decided to go to his locker. He started walking when he was out of range of his friends. His heart was racing at the thought of Suho and the rest of his friend's finding out how he felt about Kai. He knew he liked Kai but he wasn't brave enough to express his feelings so he just stayed quiet most of the time. When he finally got to his locker, he threw in the books that he didn't need since he already had the class that day. He shut his locker but  jumped and tumbled to the ground when he saw Kai standing at his locker. Kai's eyes widened and immediately helped Kyungsoo up, carefully taking both of his hands in his. Kyungsoo stood up and dusted the back of his school pants while he tried to regain a steady pulse rate.

"Holy Kai you scared me!." Kyungsoo said with a hand on his chest. He was breathing unevenly because of the shock and because Kai was standing so close to him. His eyes darted away from Kai and to the tiles on the floor.

"I'm Sorry, Kyungsoo. I didn't know you'd get that scared." Kai chuckled nervously.

"I-I'm fine now." Why am I stuttering again? Kyungsoo thought to himself. 

"Uh. I followed you after I saw you running out of the lunch room. A-Are you alright?" Kai asked with a concerned look on his face.

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I be? I just need to put some things in my locker is all." Kyungsoo said a little too quickly to which Kai began to squint at him, not completely believing what he was being told but he didn't push it.

"Hm. I guess I worry a bit much, right?" Kai said looking away from Kyungsoo.

"Maybe a little, but it's all in good intentions." Kyungsoo said smiling.

The bell signaling them to go to class rung so they parted ways and went to their afternoon classes for the day.

 

After school, Kai drove Luhan home since Suho wanted to walk home with Kyungsoo. He didn't mind since him and Luhan haven't talked in a while. Luhan had been spending time with Sehun because they were practicing for an upcoming show.

"So, Lulu, what's new?" Kai said, his eyes fixed on the road in front of him.

"Well, Sehun and I are learning a new dance. I wish you came to the dance room the other day because you could've been in the show with us." Luhan  said pouting.

"Ahh, I'm sorry Lulu. I've ju-"

"Spending a lot of time with Kyungsoo." Luhan cut Kai off and looked at him. Kai was quiet for a moment before he spoke again.

"He just needs support. He's been through so much." Kai reasoned.

"You just met him and you're acting like he's a baby. He's older than you. I'm sure he can handle himself." Luhan remarked turning his head to look out of the window.

Kai didn't reply this time. He kept his focus on the road because he knew where this conversation was going. When he got in front of Luhan's home, he turned off the engine.

"Luhan," Kai said turning to look at him."I don't want you to feel like Kyungsoo is taking your place or anything. You're my best friend. Don't ever forget that. Kyungsoo's been through so much and I don't know how he can be so strong. I can't just give up on him."

"Kai, w-why does it sound like you like him or something?" Luhan asked.

"I don't like him. How could I? I just met him Luhan." Kai sighed and turned away from Luhan. "Do you want to go somewhere tomorrow?"

"Will Kyungsoo be coming along?" Luhan asked quietly.

"No."

"Alright. I'll come  but you're treating ME okay?" Luhan said smiling. Kai smiled back, happy to see his friend smiling again.

"Aww Lulu is smiling~" Kai cooed and poked his cheek.

"Oh shut up." Luhan said opening the door. "Thanks for driving me."

"Wait, no goodbye kiss that you always give me when I drop you home?" Kai pouted.

"No. You don't deserve it." Luhan shut the door and walked into his house.

Kai shook his head and the engine. He smiled again and drove off.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

When Kai got to his apartment building, it was 5:30. Kyungsoo should be home by now he thought. He walked through the two glass doors and went into the elevator. When he got to his floor, he saw Kyungsoo sleeping with his bag on his lap. He was resting his his head and back on the door. How long has he been here? Kai thought before rushing to his side. He shook his shoulder lightly to wake him up. 

"Kyungsoo~ wake up." Kai whispered. Kyungsoo's eyes fluttered open and his cheeks flushed red. He got up and flew his bag on his back.

"How long have you been here?" Kai asked.

"30 minutes. I thought you'd be home by the time I got here because I don't have the key." he said digging his hands in his pockets.

"Oh man. I'm so sorry, I forgot."

"It's alright. The nap wasn't to bad either." Kyungsoo said giggling. Kai laughed along with him before opening the door for both of them. They both walked down the hall to Kai's room to change into more comfortable clothes but Kyungsoo went into the bathroom while Kai dressed so he wouldn't have to see his   'wonderfully tanned body', as that is how Kyungsoo described it in his head.

 

When they were settled in the living room doing homework, Kyungsoo shut his math book making a loud sound, causing Kai to jump a bit.

"Sorry." he mumbled.

"Hey, Kyungsoo, you're done right?" Kai asked him since he had his attention. Kyungsoo nodded.

"Can you help me with this problem? I can't seem to get the answer with this formula." Kai said sounding hopeless. Kyungsoo smiled and moved closer to Kai to get a better look at the problem.

"You keep forgetting to switch the negatives to positives once you get it in the formula that's why you're confused." he said chuckling and pointing in Kai's notebook.

"Ohh! I see. Thank's Kyungie." Kai beamed. Kyungsoo blushed at the sudden nickname Kai had given him. After a few minutes, Kai had finished all of his homework as well. He threw his book on the floor and stretched his arms. "Yes!!! I'm done!" Kai yelled. Kyungsoo just shook his head.

He grabbed his phone when he felt a vibration, knowing it would be Suho because he said he'd text him later on. He swiped his thumb across the touch screen phone and opened his inbox. 

"Oh ." Kyungsoo breathed. His hands were trembling when he saw who had sent him a text message. Kai turned to look at him.

"W-What's wrong?" Kai asked, his voice filled with worry.

Kyungsoo didn't reply and began tearing up as he opened the message to read it. He dropped his phone immediately and Kai went to grab the device. He had the same reaction as Kyungsoo when he read the message.

Text From: Dad

Hello Kyungsoo. I see you're using your phone now. I called the company and asked if the number was active and to my luck, they said it was. I also see you've met my girlfriend. I hear you weren't the nicest to her so I guess you were the same bad-mannered son to her as you were to me when I had last seen you. I hope you know that just because you've ran away that it doesn't mean I won't see you again. Think again, because I will. 

 


 

A/N: Omfg guys don't hate me ;~;  but the drama is going to unfold very soon :3 Hope this update was long enough. I never know what to write to make it longer xD