Chapter 17

The Only Exception

Kai stared at the phone that was in his hands. He had read the message over and over, trying to embed it into his brain to make sure that this wasn't a joke. He was speechless at this moment. Not only was he speechless, but infuriated. He began clenching the phone that was in his hands out of anger but stopped because he had no intention of breaking Kyungsoo's phone. Kai placed the phone to his right on the couch. He looked to his left to see a trembling Kyungsoo. The latter turned to meet Kai's gaze.

"Kai, I'm scared." Kyungsoo said, his lips quivering and tears threatening to fall from his eyes.

"I know." Kai responded quietly.

It was all that Kai could say. He couldn't make any promises to Kyungsoo that he knew he couldn't keep. He couldn't assume now that his father wouldn't find Kyungsoo simply because be didn't know what he was capable of, but he knew damn well that Kyungsoo's father would have to go through him first before he'd ever lay a finger on Kyungsoo. All of these thoughts were running through Kai's head and he couldn't understand why he cared for him so much. Why he would go through all of this trouble for a boy he met less than a week ago, he was unsure. Kai let those thoughts roam free in his brain until he came to the conclusion that it didn't matter how long he had known Kyungsoo. It didn't matter because he did as his heart told him. He would continue to listen to his heart and follow where ever it led him.

Kai grabbed Kyungsoo into his arms, holding him as if he was afraid someone could easily take him from his grasp. Kyungsoo cried. He cried quietly into Kai's chest and he didn't mind Kyungsoo's tears soaking his shirt. Kai did what ever he could to comfort Kyungsoo, rubbing circles across his back, whispering things in his ears like, "Everything is going to be okay", and simply just being there for him. Kyungsoo appreciated everything Kai had done to soothe him. He would stay in that same position with Kai forever if he could. However, negative thoughts came swarming through his head and he pulled back from Kai's embrace.

"I-I don't want to go to school t-tomorrow." Kyungsoo whispered. Kai just nodded.

"I'll stay home with you then." 


The next morning, Kyungsoo woke up in Kai's bed alone. The sunlight was shining brightly in the room because the curtains were drawn. He adjusted to the light in the room before he propped himself on his elbows and looked around the rather large room. He never noticed the pictures around his room, pictures of what seemed to be him and his family. He was a cute baby, Kyungsoo thought to himself chuckling. He thought it was cute how Kai kept a piece of home with him. 

Kyungsoo pulled the sheets off of him and got out of bed. He stretched his arms and walked into the bathroom to wash up a bit. Once he was finished, he walked into the kitchen and saw a plate that was covered sitting on the counter top. He walked to it and lifted the cover to which his eyes met a delicious looking breakfast. There was waffles, eggs, and assorted fruits on the side. He grinned at the sight. He placed the cover back on top of the plate and trotted into the living room where Kai was with a smile on his face. Hearing foot steps walk into the room, Kai turned away from the television and saw Kyungsoo.

"Good morn-" Kai stopped and peered at the clock before speaking again." Well good afternoon." he said scratching the back of his neck. Kyungsoo just smiled at him.

"Good afternoon to you too." Kyungsoo replied.

"I would've woken you up but you looked so peaceful sleeping."

"No, it's okay. I needed the extra sleep. T-Thanks for making me breakfast," Kyungsoo said looking down at his feet.

"No problem."

Kyungsoo his heel and walked back into the kitchen. He plopped himself on one of the stools in the kitchen and grabbed the plate that was covered toward him. He grabbed a fork and took some of the waffles in it and put in into his mouth. He smiled in delight. Hm. Kai's not that bad of a cook. Kai walked in the kitchen quietly while Kyungsoo was munching on his breakfast hungrily. Kai smirked as he walked behind him. 

"Is it good?" Kai asked, startling Kyungsoo and making him drop his fork on his plate. Kyungsoo whipped his head around and placed his hand on his chest.

"Kai, do you always have to scare me like that?" Kyungsoo said, as he tried to regain a normal pulse rate. Kai walked closer to him, laughing. Kyungsoo glared at him. 

"It's actually pretty disgusting." Kyungsoo said, still glaring at Kai,

"Is it now? Considering you've eaten more than half of it already." Kai replied smirking. He grabbed a chair and took a seat next to Kyungsoo. The latter turned his head away from Kai and blushed. 

"Whatever." he mumbled and finished up his breakfast. As weird as it sounds, Kai watched Kyungsoo as he ate. He just enjoyed looking at him eating something that he cooked since Kai wasn't too great at cooking in the first place. 

When Kyungsoo was finished, he walked to the sink and washed up the dishes. Kai was still sitting in the same spot with his elbow in the counter and his chin on the palm of his left hand as Kyungsoo did the dishes. For some reason, he couldn't seem to stop staring at Kyungsoo's small frame. Just looking at him made Kai blush. Kai was too busy staring at Kyungsoo that he didn't realize he was done washing the dishes. When he turned around, he saw Kai staring at him and his cheeks were painted with a shade of pink. 

"K-Kai, why are you s-staring at me like t-that?" Kyungsoo stammered, making Kai jump out of his trance. 

"I-I Uh....Um...n-no reason." Kai said, trying to sound calm but failing because Kyungsoo saw right through him.

"Are y-you sure? You were s-staring for quite a while." he said quietly, looking away from Kai. 

"P-Positive." Kai said and he walked away quickly from the kitchen and into his bedroom to avoid any more questions.

 

Kyungsoo scrunched up his face and walked into the living room to watch some television. Just as he sat down, he cell phone started ringing. He picked it up without looking at the caller ID.

"Yah, Kyungsoo, why weren't you at school today?" Suho asked, rather loudy, through the phone.

"Why are you yelling?" Kyungsoo asked instead of replying to his question.

"That's beside the point. Are you sick?" Suho sounded worried.

"I-I'm fine. I was just...not feeling it." 

"Well I'm coming over to check on you." Suho said firmly.

"What!? You can't!" Kyungsoo was in a state of panic at this point.

"Too bad! I'm already on my way. Besides, I haven't seen your dad in a long time. I bet he misses me." Suho said. Kyungsoo could tell that he was smiling on the other line but he knew there was nothing to smile about.

"N-No you can't."

"Why not?"

"B-Because I don't live there anymore." Kyungsoo said quietly.

"You moved out!? Since when?"

Kyungsoo sighed. He knew the time would come when he would have to tell Suho what happened to him and his father but he didn't think it would be this soon. He took a deep breathe and gulped.

"S-Since...before I came back to school."

"Well, since you've moved, tell me the address to where you live now." Suho said. Kyungsoo just wanted to rip his hair out of his scalp. He hated how stubborn Suho was, however he knew he was just looking out for him. He groaned in frustrastion because Suho wasn't going to give up.

"I'll text it to you." Kyungsoo said and hung up quickly. He made a loud noise and threw himself on the couch so that he was lying down on his back once he sent the text message to Suho. He looked up at the ceiling as if the solution to all his problems were up there.

Kai came into the living room after hearing the noises Kyungsoo was making.

"What are you, a lion?" Kai joked as he walked closer to Kyungsoo. The latter sat up with a looked at Kai.

"No." Kyungsoo stated, unamused. 

"You're being fiesty. What's wrong?"

"Suho's coming over."


A/N: I know it's been a while ;~; I'm really sorry for updating late. Forgive me? Since you know, it's my birthday and all x3 I'll make it up to you guys okay!